BARNEY WILEN IN JAPAN

Claude Schlouch

I honestly like it all, especially the Venus titles (and I'm NOT a Venus label fan) and the French releases. Definitely recommend:

• 1987 La note bleue (Ida)
  • 1987 French Ballads (Ida)
  • 1989 Wild Dogs of the Ruwenzori (Ida)
  • 1990 Paris Moods (Alfa)
  • 1991 Sanctuary (Ida)
  • 1992 Dream time (Deux)
  • 1993 Talisman (Ida)
  • 1994 Le Ca: New York Romance (Venus)
  • 1995 Passione (Venus)

I picked this up yesterday at Jazz Messengers in Barcelona. I was very restrained there getting just this set plus a Wilson Simonal and Sergio Mendes (Great Arrival )

First impressions of the Wilen are excellent. Beautifully recorded and the band sounds very well in sync with Wilen. I’ve only a modest amount of later Wilen in my collection but this seems like a good buy .

1 hour ago, Clunky said:

I picked this up yesterday at Jazz Messengers in Barcelona. I was very restrained there getting just this set plus a Wilson Simonal and Sergio Mendes (Great Arrival )

First impressions of the Wilen are excellent. Beautifully recorded and the band sounds very well in sync with Wilen. I’ve only a modest amount of later Wilen in my collection but this seems like a good buy .

Could you tell me how much electric piano is played in the set?  I'm hoping it's mostly acoustic but can't seem to find any info.  Thanks!

47 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

The only thing that would stop me going berserk in that place is the current weakness of our £ !

Too true. The Spaniards we met were a sympathetic lot for our plight. It’s odd feeling the pity of foreigners for our political situation.

Regarding electric piano . The first track with it is Track 5 disc one. I’ve been unpacking as it’s been playing so it’s not had my full attention but that appears it for disc one. Not managed to get to disc two yet

On 9/7/2019 at 6:30 PM, Clunky said:

Ha, I am in Barcelona tomorrow, so might drop by the store to pick this one (or, more likely, something else) as well!