REMINGTON Label Classical LPs

JSngry

I was looking this past weekend, and in a bin full of normally priced older Classical LPs, there were 5-6 Remington label LPs that were priced significantly higher. I didn't recognize any of the performers (not that that means anything), and the packaging seemed a little lacking (if florid on front).

So what's the deal with this stuff, is the music that good, or is this a "collector's thing" where the object is the object (or vice-versa)?

It has been reported that the artists credited on Remington and other similar budget labels are in fact sometimes major orchestras performing under pseudonyms. I heard this many years ago from a collector who was actively collecting them. It wouldn't surprise me that somebody may have since compiled a list identifying these mystery orchestras.

I found this site yesterday, which goes a long way towards explaining the "mystique", as well as the potential for hype.

Main page: http://www.soundfountain.org/rem/dongabor.html

Specific label history/etc: http://www.soundfountain.org/rem/dongabor1.html

I had not known that Don Gabor was also the guy between Continental, an earlierĀ label of some jazz interest.

Indeed. And if not on that site, then on another one talking about Remington, it was noted that at one point in the early days of LPs, classical accounted for 20% of sales. What that says about general market tastes and/or about who were the early-ish adapters to LPs I can't say, but it's a pretty mind-boggling statistic either way. 20%! And this guy figured he could turn a big profit selling classical records. Imagine that!

55 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Indeed. And if not on that site, then on another one talking about Remington, it was noted that at one point in the early days of LPs, classical accounted for 20% of sales. What that says about general market tastes and/or about who were the early-ish adapters to LPs I can't say, but it's a pretty mind-boggling statistic either way. 20%! And this guy figured he could turn a big profit selling classical records. Imagine that!

I'd venture a guess that over here the share of classical LPs was quite higher than that in the early days of LPs.