BN Collectors Edition

David Ayers

What do we know about this very limited 24-bit vinyl-feel reissue series?

No info here and sorry if I missed it elsewhere.

Here is one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Let-Freedom-Ring-Jackie-Mclean/dp/B07VJWY95F/ref=sr_1_232?fst=as%3Aoff&qid=1567885456&refinements=p_n_date%3A182239031&rnid=182236031&s=music&sr=1-232

I see they have released a late Donald Byrd on LP. I have their Jefferson Airplane, Hot Tuna and Quicksilver Messenger Service LP facsimile releases. I like the sound but they are loud, compressed. Works for these rock acts on my system. Not sure how they would work with jazz titles.

Well, I don't experience things the same way as many there do. I honestly think some of them look at a waveform and form an opinion that tells them what they hear rather than experiencing what they hear. You're right, many there are dismissive of these. I and a few others have enjoyed them. To me I can get them at certain volume level and they really come alive and they sound to me the way that I remember hearing these (Jefferson Airplane, Hot Tuna, Quicksilver Messenger Service) in the 'seventies at parties and at a friend's house who had big JBL speakers and a really good turntable and reel-to-reel. Really brings back "that" sound to me on my system. So I enjoy them. . . I tried one or two and then bought the complete series of those three artists. We're all different, all our rooms and systems and tastes are different, and I don't just take what Hoffmanites say for the s'truth.

52 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Well, I don't experience things the same way as many there do. I honestly think some of them look at a waveform and form an opinion that tells them what they hear rather than experiencing what they hear. You're right, many there are dismissive of these. I and a few others have enjoyed them. To me I can get them at certain volume level and they really come alive and they sound to me the way that I remember hearing these (Jefferson Airplane, Hot Tuna, Quicksilver Messenger Service) in the 'seventies at parties and at a friend's house who had big JBL speakers and a really good turntable and reel-to-reel. Really brings back "that" sound to me on my system. So I enjoy them. . . I tried one or two and then bought the complete series of those three artists. We're all different, all our rooms and systems and tastes are different, and I don't just take what Hoffmanites say for the s'truth.

I was thinking about buying one of those JA titles. Maybe I will give one a try. 

The label on the actual CD (linked to above) states that this is a Universal Records Special Markets release, Manufactured by Universal Music; Copy-write Capital 2019. So the CD must be an official BN release.

US site: http://www.culturefactoryusa.com/  lots of major labels noted here 

Edited by RPF1990
Additional

On 9/10/2019 at 9:14 AM, jazzbo said:

Should appeal, when used properly, to audiophiles as well.

Lon, very true.  I was messaging this morning with Jamie Saft, because I had questions about the mastering of his last two recordings. Blue Dream and Hidden Shadows musically are very good, but the mastering is horrendous and brickwalled, Hidden Shadows a bit less so.  The latter is in the vein of 70's Impulse! with Dave Liebman and Hamid Drake, but the mastering engineer, primarily has experience with dance and pop music and applies that approach to jazz--which for an acoustic jazz record of recent vintage is unacceptable.  For something like Saft's Sunshine Seas that approach would be fine.  Jamie was very understanding of my concern surprisingly and said the mastering engineer who did Strength and Power with Roswell Rudd (quite a dynamic, natural recording) is doing the next two albums.