Voices from the NYC Edge

Steve Reynolds

Maybe this is for me but here are some upcoming highlights as it seems to be an especially vibrant time here near NYC as far as music from the edge is concerned 

details to be found on the websites for the venues - these are easy to find.

Matt Mitchell’s week at The Stone next week - look especially at 9/18, 9/20 & 9/21. My plan is 9/18 with Mat Maneri, Ben Gerstein, Brandon Seabrook & Kate Gentile

Fred Frith’s week at The Stone starting 9/24 - with his great young trio with added guests. My plan is 9/26 with his trio augmented with Lotte Anker on saxophones 

great improv concert on 9/19 with Anker, Craig Taborn & Gerald Cleaver - 244 Rehearsal Studios 

Ingrid Laubrock’s Sextet at Jazz Standard on 9/23 with Brandon Seabrook, Mazz Swift, Tomeka Reid, Michael Formanek & Tom Rainey - 2 sets - I REALLY want to see this group but I just can’t swing it.

Just announced two sets with Mat Maneri at Jazz Standard with following:

7:30: with Lucian Ban, Brad Jones & Randy Peterson

9:30: with BOTH Craig Taborn & Matt Shipp!!!, Joe Morris, Tanya Kalmanovich & Tony Malaby

Then among highlights next month Assif Tsahar is here from Israel at The Stone starting on 10/22 and he has a trio with Cooper-Moore & Chad Taylor on 10/22, a trio with Mat Maneri & Ches Smith on 10/23 (I’m there), a saxophone quartet on 10/24, then 2 nights, Friday & Saturday 10/25 & 10/26 with William Parker & Hamid Drake. Wowza - maybe I can make both night but at least one.