JSngry

Here Comes Amazon w/the HD DLs/Streaming

11 posts in this topic

I have to get with the times. I haven't used any streaming service yet. How good is the the catalogs for Amazon or the others in terms of  jazz? Since this the music is going to be HD, I may check it out. 

"You will definitely hear the difference on both iPhones and Android phones[...]" 

I'll believe that when I see convincing results from some ABX test. 

Not sure I trust that when for example, HDTracks had Herbie's VSOP at 24/96 but it indicated it was upsampled from a 16 bit file. 

“Earth will be changed forever when Amazon introduces high quality streaming to the masses,” said old deaf crackpot, Neil Young.

I'll be happy when they'll sell me a HD DL on a per-transaction, non-subscription basis. My desire for such a product is occasional, and does not justify an ongoing subscription expense.

A friend gave me a subscription to Tidal, which features HD. Pretty sure I can tell the difference, but I don't have an audiophile setup, either.

6 hours ago, JSngry said:

I'll be happy when they'll sell me a HD DL on a per-transaction, non-subscription basis. My desire for such a product is occasional, and does not justify an ongoing subscription expense.

Aren't they already doing that? https://www.hdtracks.com

8 hours ago, Hardbopjazz said:

I have to get with the times. I haven't used any streaming service yet. How good is the the catalogs for Amazon or the others in terms of  jazz? Since this the music is going to be HD, I may check it out. 

I don't know but I expect it's comparable to their competitors'. IMO their UI is inferior to Spotify, although I wouldn't give Spotify any awards either. 

5 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Aren't they already doing that? https://www.hdtracks.com

I meant Amazon.

signed up for the free trial as I have a DAC. 

I signed up for the trial too but beware.......... some albums like A New Perspective I expected to be available in the hi res master from a few years back, only "The Black Disciple" is hi res, the rest is the RVG.  Albums like Innervisions sound great and seemed very close to the Japanese SACD I heard at my friend's house on his system. And some albums like the new Nicholas Payton are not available in full.  So gotta buy that CD eventually  edit: the Payton is not out yet so they released 2 singles.

Edited by CJ Shearn