Phil Woods

Larry Kart

Jill Goodwin told me at the Deer Head Inn a couple of years ago that they were seeking to publish Phil's memoir as an e-book. Ted Panken was doing the editing. No word on its status, it deserves to be published in a hardbound edition! Phil's "Phil in the Gap" columns were always a highlight of The Al Cohn Memorial Newsletter.

2 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Great stuff, thanks for posting!

I've written Jill a few times about when the book is going to come out, and she said that Phil wanted a good publishing house to put it out, but they were having problems finding one.

She said she'd make it available one way or the other, but Ken's right; it deserves to be published in a hardbound edition! 

Given the fact that Phil never had to take on a college teaching gig (even as a part time instructor), there should be over 60 years of playing to cover. 

BTW, a plug for the Deer Head Inn.  Great place to hear music, great Inn to stay at, nice people, incredibly reasonable prices ($120ish for a large, lovely room, you can eat a good sandwich for under $15).  And spectacularly gorgeous Bushkill Falls is just a few minutes drive away.   And music like this:

Saturday, September 28, 7:30 to 10:30 pm, music charge $15
Grammy-Nominated Pianist Lewis Porter with an All-Star Tribute to Coltrane, Mingus, & Monk!
Abraham Burton, tenor saxophone; Lewis Porter, piano; Kenny Davis, bass; Michaels Stephans, drums

3 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

This Phil Woods material was great. Thanks for posting it Larry.

I took particular note of what he said about his time in the mid '50s Neal Hefti band. I used to have a Hefti LP -- I think it was "Hefti, Hot and Hearty" on Epic-- and Phil was in exuberant form on it. Find the album on You Tube and check out "Little Pony."

"I had no problem with Gerry when I was not working for him."

My understanding is that Phil's memoir is close to being published. I'm not authorized to speak on this, so I'll keep details close to the vest, but I had a recent conversation with someone within the orbit of the project and was left with the clear understanding that it was on its way. I do not know the timetable. 

Edited by Mark Stryker

12 hours ago, Mark Stryker said:

My understanding is that Phil's memoir is close to being published. I'm not authorized to speak on this, so I'll keep details close to the vest, but I had a recent conversation with someone within the orbit of the project and was left with the clear understanding that it was on its way. I do not know the timetable. 

Good news. Thanks for the info, Mark.  :tup 

13 hours ago, Mark Stryker said:

"I had no problem with Gerry when I was not working for him."

Great news! Thanks for the update. It's not easy getting a book published today, no matter what your accomplishments as a musician were. Even someone like David Raksin had to settle for Epublishing. If that's what it is with PW, so be it.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

The writing itself is more cringe-per-minute than I can count, but the realization that it's all real people being talked about by somebody who was incontestably there and dealing makes it a fun read in spite of itself, sorta corny but 100% authentic.

Just asking -- what was cringe-worthy in Woods' reminiscences? The alleged behavior of others or Phil's personality as reflected in what he says? Or something else?