LF Skeeter Davis Recommendation

JSngry

Amazon has Essential for $3.79, and with my Prime, that's it (except sales tax, of course).

But I do like the depth of the Oldies.com catalog. If/when I decide to go deeper, that will a good place to dig.

The immediate question here, though, is which record is the starting point...Essential surely seems to be a better overview, but Skeeter Davis' "countrypopgirlgroup" songs are something I really am ready to check out in more detail. Those vowel sounds in that context...unique and compelling (if you want it to be). And that's where the other one seems to have the edge. But - how much of the "extras" are really worth it, and how much are filler?

Here's where the opinions of experienced Skeeter Listeners are being sought.

22 minutes ago, JSngry said:

But that does not give me "I Can't Stay Mad At You" or "Gonna Get Along Without You Now", does it?

I don't want to end up with just one Skeeter Davis record and it doesn't have those two songs on it!

Then go with Essential, I guess.  I wouldn't want to end up with just one Skeeter Davis record and it doesn't have "The End of the World" on it.  And "Essential" is, as mentioned, dirt cheap through Amazon. Just now ordered one myself, we can compare notes.  If you want something with more cuts and almost certainly far better mastering (Taragon does an amazing job), there's this, but it'll cost ya 3-4 times what Essential will.

The Pop Hits Collection

Edited by felser