Nate Chinen's WBGO obit for poet Steve Dalachinsky

• 3 years later...

Just come across this series of still photos from his 60th celebration at Tonic. 

https://downtownmusic.net/steve-dalachinsky-60th-birthday-celebration-09-24-2006#image207

It was a paid entry event in theory but I don't think anyone except for me and my friend (another Londoner who was living in New York at the time) had paid. Everyone else knew everyone else.

I've been wondering who I saw for years (I, a callow youth, was into jazz, but didn't know as many people as I do now). For years I believed Charles Gayle and Paul Flaherty played, but apparently not (it seems that Paul Flaherty was in fact Earl Howard). Equally, apparently I saw Sabir Mateen, Assif Tsahar and Roy Campbell, who I must not have known, and don't remember at all. The big draw for me in those days was Matthew Shipp, who'd blown me away when I'd seen him play live a year or so earlier at the now defunct Red Rose on the Holloway Road. I remember Daniel Carter making a big impression.

Crazy to think this was nearly two decades ago.

I'm currently reading Dalachinsky's French poems.

Edited by Rabshakeh

7 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Just come across this series of still photos from his 60th celebration at Tonic. 

https://downtownmusic.net/steve-dalachinsky-60th-birthday-celebration-09-24-2006#image207

It was a paid entry event in theory but I don't think anyone except for me and my friend (another Londoner who was living in New York at the time) had paid. Everyone else knew everyone else.

I've been wondering who I saw for years (I, a callow youth, was into jazz, but didn't know as many people as I do now). For years I believed Charles Gayle and Paul Flaherty played, but apparently not (it seems that Paul Flaherty was in fact Earl Howard). Equally, apparently I saw Sabir Mateen, Assif Tsahar and Roy Campbell, who I must not have known, and don't remember at all. The big draw for me in those days was Matthew Shipp, who'd blown me away when I'd seen him play live a year or so earlier at the now defunct Red Rose on the Holloway Road. I remember Daniel Carter making a big impression.

Crazy to think this was nearly two decades ago.

I'm currently reading Dalachinsky's French poems.

I was at the Shipp Red Rose gig, great evening.

Needless to say I wasn't at the Dalaschinsky but it sounds like an impressive event 

I only met Steve a couple of times - I think first when he was performing his Insomnia Poems at at Cafe Oto.

He inscribed a copy of his Evan Parker poems for me ("I don't normally do this but...") which I treasure.

A really really nice guy - within ten minutes of chatting instantly your new best mate. I was very sad to hear of his passing just a few months later.