Harold Mabern R.I.P.

ghost of miles

Just now, Bluesnik said:

That is terrible news, And I just saw him in 2017 with Eric Alexander. And I mostly enjoy his playing with Wes Montgomery on that live recording from Paris on his European tour of 65 out on Resonance.

I saw him around the same time at the Jazz Kitchen in Indianapolis... got to chat with him a bit after the show. An old-school jazz soul for sure. 

I have a live recording of drummer Joe Farnsworth, who shared a story about getting a gig as a leader after being a Mabern student at William Paterson. He called the pianist to ask if he was available, Mabern responded, "Who?...What does it pay?" When Farnsworth discussed the money, the pianist replied, "I'll need $500 more" then hung up. Farnsworth called his mom to borrow the money, a great investment. Harold Mabern's sound was always readily identifiable. Mabern was very enthusiastic when he discussed his students and the last time I saw him a few years back at Kitano, he was in the audience for a set led by Helen Sung.

RIP

I believe I saw him twice in Chicago, both times backing Eric Alexander.  It's vaguely possible I saw him a third time, but I don't remember the context.

I know that he came to Vancouver fairly recently for a show in support of the Kirk MacDonald CD Ted mentions above, but when Kirk played Toronto, Harold wasn't with the group unfortunately.

Very sad. Big Harold Mabern fan. I first heard him with Lee on The Gigolo - still one of my favorite jazz albums!

I bought a ticket for Eric Alexander this past June at SFJAZZ specifically to see him, but sometime earlier in the Spring he was substituted with Eric Reed without explanation. Still a good show, but I was going for Harold.

RIP, Harold!

RIP, very sorry to hear this. Another big fan here. 

Noticed last week that he was due to appear at Smalls (Wed night I think?) - presumably that never happened. Just glad that I got to see him a few time - with George Coleman in NYC, with Eric Alexander at NorthSea and (long time ago so memory rusty) with George Coleman’s Octet.

A great stalwart who left us some great music. ‘The Gigolo’, ‘Live at the Lighthouse’ and his own ‘Rakin’ snd Scrapin’’ come to mind.

Edited by sidewinder

Very sad to hear. I first heard him on The March of the Siamese Children LP by Frank Strozier. He seemed to play a lot with the Strozier, George Coleman, Memphis crowd. I think he might have been on some of the Keno Duke albums. Then his great work with Wes.

His son has had a radio show on WBAI for a long time. RIP, Mr. Pentatonic...

I thought , or better say I hoped he might live forever. 

I also got acquainted to him the first time when I listend to the live stuff with Wes Montgomery in Paris, especially "Impressions".

And I listened very careful to his fantastic piano stuff on the Freddie Hubbard Recordings for BN, especially "Nights of the Cookers". 

He'll certainly be mourned by a lot of people. I wouldn't like to hazard a guess as to how many sessions he's worked on, to say nothing of his own consistently excellent leader work.

He seemed to have found a new lease of life recently, popping up on recordings everywhere, no small thanks to Smoke Sessions Records.

Sad news saw him only once must have been 18 or 19 years ago at Smoke, my only visit there when my wife and I spent a couple of days in NYC. First night was BB King at the opening week of his club in midtown and second night was George Coleman Octet with Harold, Smulyan (who I can still picture playing with one hand because Rotondi was playing so loud right next to him and he used the other hand to protect his hearing) and others.  RIP.