Another Jack Johnson thread....

I've searched half heartedly the numerous threads covering this and Miles' albums and box sets, but, I've just bought this today (bit of a bargain) and I'm wondering where to start.

I'm not familiar with the original album although I own a fair bit of post - Bitches Brew Miles. So, do I spend a few weeks getting the finished cuts into my head, then explore the alternates and other stuff? (I did this with the quintet stuff as I had the 'original' albums on cd. Then I bought the remastered stuff; freaked me out when I heard Nefertiti's out-takes.)

Or, do I just wade in from the top, as if I were there?

Sorry if this has been a topic before but I'm a bit overwhelmed by this one.

Help. Tonym

Pick one of the cds and put it in the player. Just explore this stuff in any way you feel like. I've never been a big fan of the original lp which seems to be a heretical position here, but it was the most boring of his electric stuff to me, too straigh ahead rock like; there is a Clapton jam in the Derek and the Dominoes box set that has a very similar groove. . . nothing special to me. But the Big Fun material, the takes of Willie Nelson, the material with Pascoal, and especially the versions of The Mask. . . I really enjoy those. Lots of material here to really explore. . . . I really personally don't think you have to go about it in one way or another.

I would start with the last two tracks on the last disc -- which is the original "Jack Johnson" album, as it was originally released. Then, as some others here have suggested, if you have a multi-disc changer -- I would load all five discs (or three of the five discs), and play all the discs in multi-disc "random" mode.

If you start with disc 1, you'll get 6 or 8 takes of the very first tune. It's an interesting tune, and I love most of the "Jack Johnson"-related material. But listening to those 6 or 8 takes, back to back, as a place to start with this material --- is not the place to start (in my book).

IMHO, start with those last two tracks on the last disc (particuarlly the one called "Right Off" - and give it a good spin first. Also, the 2nd disc (the one with the track(s) "Go Ahead John" might also be a good place to go (after the last disc).

Also, you might stay away from disc #4 for a while. It's much more "moody" - and less like most of the rest of the "Jack Johnson" material.

In an earlier thread on "Jack Johnson" I had 2 queastions: 1) How was the music used in the film. I found the answer to that on Peter Losin's excellent Miles site. But I've never found an answer to my 2nd question:

When did those involved know that this particular music was going to be used in the film? Or to put it another way: Does anyone know if Miles recorded this music specifically for the film? Or was he making music for a record that just happened to be used in the film?

• 1 month later...

The suggestion to start with the original album, particularly since you're not familiar it, sounds like a good way to start IMHO. If you have a multi-disc player, by all means, load it up and go random-there are gems throughout the set. I started with disc one and played it a bunch of times, then moved on disc by disc, playing anything that struck me repeatedly. I carried the set in my bag for three weeks, listening on a discman while riding the subways back and forth to work, then catching some at home every evening. it is a set that definitely rewards repeated listening, and McLaughlin ROCKS!