Johnny Griffin & Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis - Ow! Live At The Penthouse

mjzee

Release date December 6:

81NR2OwAtGL._SL1500_.jpg

UNRELEASED JOHNNY GRIFFIN-EDDIE "LOCKJAW" DAVIS TENOR SAX DUEL OW!

Deluxe Package Includes Interviews with Tenor Star James Carter and Drummer Kenny Washington and Essays by Historian Ted Panken and Pianist Michael Weiss 

The supercharged tenor saxophone duo of Johnny Griffin and Eddie ''Lockjaw'' Davis will be heard in full flight on Reel to Real Recordings' previously unreleased live set Ow!, which bows as an exclusive, limited edition Record Store Day LP release Nov. 29. 

The title - which features stellar, previously unreleased performances captured at the Seattle club the Penthouse in May-June 1962 -- will initially be available on 180-gram vinyl mastered by Bernie Grundman, and subsequently be issued on CD Dec. 6. 

Reel to Real - a partnership between Vancouver-based jazz impresario and saxophonist Cory Weeds and Resonance Records co-president and noted ''Jazz Detective'' Zev Feldman - was launched on Record Store Day 2018 with a pair of releases that included Swingin' in Seattle, live sessions by Cannonball Adderley's quintet recorded at the Penthouse in 1966-67. Resonance has previously plumbed the Penthouse's deep archives for its albums by Wes Montgomery (Smokin' in Seattle) and the Three Sounds featuring Gene Harris (Groovin' Hard). 

In his notes included in the 28-page booklet that accompanies the package, Weeds recalls, ''Upon hearing the Johnny Griffin-Eddie ''Lockjaw'' Davis tapes, I got that excited feeling in my stomach again, called Zev, and said, ''We have to put this music out, whatever it takes.'' 

Feldman adds, ''These recordings are a gift that keeps on giving so much elation and positive vibes, which were captured with this music. It will now live on forever thanks to producer/radio legend Jim Wilke; engineer Fred Stimson, who recorded these broadcasts that were transferred from the original analog tapes; and Charlie Puzzo, Jr., son of the Penthouse's proprietor.''

I have a copy of some material from this band at this place in this year, but the data gives the date as October 11. Wondering if that data is incorrect, or if these are different broadcasts.

Either way, that's rule #1 of having stuff like this - if you get it for free and really like it, you are morally obligated to buy it if and when it is legitimately released.

And I really like it.

Having a listen to this now with the "collector's circles" copy...it's HOT!!!!

and with better sources and a good modern clean-up, you better start the requisite conditioning to prevent blisters from non-stop finger-poppin', cramps from unstoppable foot-pattin', and if you're so inclined and confined, butt-wigglin'.

DA' BOMB ABOUT TO DROP, GET YOUR ASS READY!!!!!

On 9/21/2019 at 9:50 AM, JSngry said:

I have a copy of some material from this band at this place in this year, but the data gives the date as October 11. Wondering if that data is incorrect, or if these are different broadcasts.

Either way, that's rule #1 of having stuff like this - if you get it for free and really like it, you are morally obligated to buy it if and when it is legitimately released.

And I really like it.

Oh right right Live at the Penthouse how could I forget. Yes, very "hot" and not least for being close to over-driven. This "collector's circle" version can definitely be made to sound better with original tapes, no near-distortion, not to mention not squashed thru an FM broadcast tape. This would be recorded over the phone lines at the studio, pre-FM.  

Even more in than I was before.

James Carter chimes in? Man, his debut on Blue Note recorded live at Newport was our on-air funder premium so my boss suggested I get him saying a few words about Blue Lake that we could use on the air. Two hours later! Man, what a conversation! His memory is astonishing. The Blue Lake part is up under "Interviews" at www.bluelake.org/ondemand. 

This last year the concert series I'm "curating" in Grand Rapids, MI, featured Detroit/Aretha drummer Gayelynn McKinney with saxophonist Dave McMurray (who's "In A Sentimental Mood" was in that tough tenor mold), and their keyboardist Gerard Gibbs (University of Michigan grad) played Herbie Hancock's "Butterfly" during sound check at the most perfect tempo. When he wasn't in gig mode and just playing with feel, damn man -- nothing to show off there but pure time. He's on James new one playing organ. The album is Django melodies, but, you know, "Melodie Au Crepuscule" gets a Bill Withers "Use Me" background. I really don't care because it all comes out James in the end, and at his best, when he's lit, it's the whole story. He and Scott Robinson are saxophone nerds to the tenth power, and fountains of insight. Robinson's coming to GR this year to play duets with Chicago drummer Jack Mouse, free duets. Click the link?! Jazz Spam: www.adventuremusic.org 

Looking forward to the Tough Tenors. Do you have those sides they recorded at Minton's?

• 1 month later...