Sep. 25th is National One-Hit Wonder Day!

duaneiac

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Dan Gould said:

Hamilton Joe Frank & Reynolds is really not a one hit wonder as

Although its true that Reynolds had left before hit #2, they were contractually obligated to use the original band name.

Man I haven't heard that song in ages and forgot all about it!  Thanks for the reminder/correction.

True "One Hit Wonders" are hard to find. I can't tell you how many times I thought a band only had one hit when I search and find some low charting minor hit listed. For instance, I consider this a "One Hit Wonder":

But when I look them up, they had 2 hits in the UK and another very minor hit in the US ("The Celtic Soul Brothers").

Still a great tune to post anyway. :)

2 hours ago, bresna said:

True "One Hit Wonders" are hard to find. I can't tell you how many times I thought a band only had one hit when I search and find some low charting minor hit listed. For instance, I consider this a "One Hit Wonder":

But when I look them up, they had 2 hits in the UK and another very minor hit in the US ("The Celtic Soul Brothers").

Still a great tune to post anyway. :)

‘Geno’ was a big hit too (at least here) so not strictly one hit. :)

5 hours ago, bresna said:

And the set up for one of the best (and/or cruelest) lines ever on The Simpsons:

3 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

I think a good rule of thumb should be ONLY one top 10 hit.  HJF&R had two classic tunes from that era which hold up pretty darn well if you ask me and both charted very highly too. 

If we stick with one hit US chart:

I had that one up too but then I wondered about "hit", :):):):) 

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

‘Geno’ was a big hit too (at least here) so not strictly one hit. :)

We never heard either of Dexy's UK hits. As I said, "one hit wonder" is very difficult to define. As I understand it, Dexy's is still a fairly big draw in the UK.

2 hours ago, soulpope said:

au contraire!

On 9/25/2019 at 0:10 PM, duaneiac said:

So who were some of your favorite one-hit wonders?

Some of mine were:

Au contraire redux, surta (might have been more a regional hit, 125 on Billboard but it got played a lot in these parts after JID had peaked nationally)

But THIS one peaked at #57...and I have zero recollection of it: