Sep. 25th is National One-Hit Wonder Day!

duaneiac

It's been great to be reminded of some really great songs mentioned here.  "Sweet City Woman" -- my older brother had that 45 when we were kids.  I haven't heard that song in a long time.  And "Walkin' My Cat Named Dog" -- I 'm sure I haven't heard that tune in a couple of decades!  I had thought about including The Weathergirls in my original post.  I had the pleasure of seeing them perform twice back when they were big (pun semi-intended) -- once on a bill that included A Flock of Seagulls and The Thompson Twins!

I think to qualify as a "hit" a record needs to at least make it to the Top 40 charts.  I've never heard of either of those other John Fred & HPB songs.  Not sure how much airplay they got back in the day.  That "Hey Hey Bunny" song sounds like it would have been a great Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels record.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Soulstation1 said:

:tup

Followed by many months of Kung Fu madness. Remember when this was first broadcast on ‘Top of the Pops’. Everyone at school trying the fancy kicks the next day :D

Actually quite a cool backing arrangement, Biddu Orchestra I think.

Apologies in advance. :wacko:

Edited by sidewinder

On 9/28/2019 at 3:05 PM, Brad said:

Cliff Richard doesn’t belong on the list. He’s had many hits. Nor does Randy Newman. Aside from Short People, he’s had a couple of other hits, although no number 1s. 

I can't find any record of another Top 40 hit for Randy Newman.  I would have thought "You've Got a Friend In Me" would have been a modest hit for him, but I can't find any proof that it made a US Top 40 chart.  I know that seems kind of odd, but think about it.  Are songs like "Burn On", "Political Science, "Rednecks" or "Louisiana 1927" really  Top 40 audience material? His songs make people think and thinking is hard.  Instead of listening to songs which might make them question the world around them and their own place in that world, most folks would rather listen to "Me and You and a Dog Named Boo"

It seems unfair to label Randy Newman as a "one-hit wonder" though.  To me, that term defines a performer/band that will be remembered (if they are remembered at all) for just one record, one moment where everything feel into place and Fate took them on that rocketship ride to fame and quickly back to obscurity.  Randy Newman will be remembered long after King Harvest (and man, I do love "Dancing In The Moonlight"!) is forgotten.  His contributions as a songwriter are even greater than his legacy as a recording artist.  And one Top 40 hit ain't bad.  How many Top 40 hits did Jimmy Webb or Leonard Cohen have as recording artists, after all?

Now, onto a real one-hit wonder:

Gosh, he sure looks like an early prototype of Dr. Teeth!

41zRaQrysAL.jpg

4 minutes ago, GA Russell said:

In that case, I'm surprised I'm aware of it!

I seem to recall the music video for "I Love L.A." getting a fair amount of broadcast time back in the day, so I'm sure the song got exposure.  But would folks living in Des Moines, Savannah, Altoona or  even New York City really rush out to buy a song telling them how great L.A. is?  I'm guessing that song was not a very big hit in San Francisco.