Chet Baker - The Legendary Riverside Albums (November 15, 2019)

dougcrates

Legendary no, but this is nice stuff. But 150 dollars... and a lame t shirt as a bonus that made me laugh. I’ll put on one of my OJC’s and be happy with that. 

Didn’t like the very expensive Barclays box neither. That is my favorite Chet but way to many alternates. Barely listenable for me. Unfortunate because I think Chet has made enough material to create a nice boxed set (I am aware of the Mulligan set).

Edited by Pim

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Exactly! :tup

If anything, they could have thrown in the Prestige sides with George Coleman...not quite "legendary", but overall a stronger set of music than these.

Argh.  I had forgotten that those albums were on Prestige and was excited about having them all in one set.  A deluxe set comprised of those albums (and hopefully alternates) is long overdue.

As far as the Prestige set goes, it appears that it might not be  released in CD format, as the Amazon pre-order only lists vinyl, download and streaming. All of the alternates were previously released, so this set may only be for those with a vinyl fetish.

Regarding the music itself, I only have Chet and would like to hear the other albums, particularly the sessions with Johnny Griffin and Kenny Drew (backing a vocalist, which I haven't heard Drew do).  I also remember enjoying what I heard of the Lerner and Loewe material.  However, I'll either track down the individual albums or listen via streaming rather than plunk down the cash for a download of the new set.

re: Baker/Prestige w/Coleman there were five LPs that came out of of that association, and only(?) one 2-CD set that left a lot out. There's a good set to be made there, I'd think. Baker himself was in good-enough form, but the rest of the band comes on pretty strong. George Coleman,Kirk Lightsey, Herman Wright, & Roy Brooks, that'll work.

Plus, you got the whole Richard Carpenter thing going on...could make for a nice annotation, all of that.

29 minutes ago, JSngry said:

re: Baker/Prestige w/Coleman there were five LPs that came out of of that association, and only(?) one 2-CD set that left a lot out. There's a good set to be made there, I'd think. Baker himself was in good-enough form, but the rest of the band comes on pretty strong. George Coleman,Kirk Lightsey, Herman Wright, & Roy Brooks, that'll work.

Plus, you got the whole Richard Carpenter thing going on...could make for a nice annotation, all of that.

Jim, all five albums were released on three CDs.

https://www.amazon.com/Stairway-Stars-Prestige-Chet-Baker/dp/B000000ZF8/
https://www.amazon.com/Misty-Night-Chet-Baker/dp/B07CZ9V356/
https://www.amazon.com/Lonely-Star-Chet-Baker/dp/B07CZB4GY3/