Classical New Releases

David Ayers

Well, we don't have a classical new releases thread, so I created this to mention the new Shostakovich 4 from the LSO with Gianandrea Noseda. I was there for one of the concerts recorded here. The recording is vivid and visceral, and recalls the stunning concert. The earlier LSO Live recordings were a bit soft-grained to say the least, so I am mentioning this recording to alert anyone who tends to overlook this series that THINGS HAVE CHANGED.

• 4 months later...

805.jpg

Preorder at HMV Japan with a release date of April 20; available right now on Tidal. The Beethoven Quartet played from the 30's to the 70's, these recordings are from the late 60's and early 70's, and somehow they sound like a single musician playing all the instruments at the same time. For me this is the greatest Beethoven quartet cycle ever recorded, very happy it's finally available!

1 hour ago, bogdan101 said:

805.jpg

Preorder at HMV Japan with a release date of April 20; available right now on Tidal. The Beethoven Quartet played from the 30's to the 70's, these recordings are from the late 60's and early 70's, and somehow they sound like a single musician playing all the instruments at the same time. For me this is the greatest Beethoven quartet cycle ever recorded, very happy it's finally available!

More archival than "new release", but thnx for mentioning it :tup ....

4 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

ludwig van
eethoven
uartets

And the award for bad design goes to ...

BTW, where does one learn of new classical releases? IMO presto and arkiv don't do a very good job of presenting that info.

https://www.talkclassical.com/28254-new-releases.html

This thread in the Talk Classical forum stays on top of these things pretty well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2020 at 7:46 AM, bogdan101 said:

805.jpg

For anyone interested in downloads, 7digital offer this set in 24bit (that's a good thing right?) for about 15 bucks!! I normally prefer physical product but for that price have been enjoying it since it was released in early January.

Another very inexpensive download was the Noseda Shostakovich 4 (thanks David, for mentioning it above).

Speaking of download sites I've found out about many new releases there (even if I purchase a cd elsewhere). For example, Chandos offer product from other labels and are seemingly up to date with new releases. Not quite an all-in-one shop, but they do have the labels that I'm particularly interested in such as Alpha, Albany, Glossa, Naxos and so on. No harmonia mundi unfortunately and no majors such as DG (fortunately :P).

https://www.chandos.net/newreleases

I also suscribe/visit the specific label/s that I'm interested in - harmonia mundi, Bridge Records, Eloquence Australia (archival releases only), etc. 

Problem with all these new releases is finding the time to listen!!

A couple that I've enjoyed recently are the Mozart Vol.2 (Faust/Melkinov) on harmonia and Miklos Spanyi - Vol.39 of the C.P.E. Bach solo keyboard music (BIS)

Mozart-vol-2-Faust-Melnikov.jpg  CPE-Bach-39-Miklos-Spanyi.jpg

Edited by Marzz

On 2/15/2020 at 8:50 PM, Marzz said:

For anyone interested in downloads, 7digital offer this set in 24bit (that's a good thing right?) for about 15 bucks!! I normally prefer physical product but for that price have been enjoying it since it was released in early January.

Another very inexpensive download was the Noseda Shostakovich 4 (thanks David, for mentioning it above).

Speaking of download sites I've found out about many new releases there (even if I purchase a cd elsewhere). For example, Chandos offer product from other labels and are seemingly up to date with new releases. Not quite an all-in-one shop, but they do have the labels that I'm particularly interested in such as Alpha, Albany, Glossa, Naxos and so on. No harmonia mundi unfortunately and no majors such as DG (fortunately :P).

https://www.chandos.net/newreleases

I also suscribe/visit the specific label/s that I'm interested in - harmonia mundi, Bridge Records, Eloquence Australia (archival releases only), etc. 

Problem with all these new releases is finding the time to listen!!

A couple that I've enjoyed recently are the Mozart Vol.2 (Faust/Melkinov) on harmonia and Miklos Spanyi - Vol.39 of the C.P.E. Bach solo keyboard music (BIS)

Mozart-vol-2-Faust-Melnikov.jpg  CPE-Bach-39-Miklos-Spanyi.jpg

Great, thank you!!!

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, Д.Д. said:

The DG Avantgarde Series box has been released.

Thanks for the heads-up on this.
I was taken aback for a while,
because it didn’t list Dieter Schnabel
and his work “Glossolalie” along with
the Cage work on Disc 8, but I checked
the DG site and it is there, so that’s definitely
a purchase to replace all of these LPs.

thanks again!

Edited by rostasi

• 5 months later...

http://www.glossamusic.com/glossa/reference.aspx?id=574

I love Brumel's Earthquake Mass and Glossa is an excellent label. May have to spring for this due to the unusual instrumentation (electric guitar?), even though the added material by Mota causes some trepidation.

About this album

For their new album, Graindelavoix and Björn Schmelzer have turned to Antoine Brumel’s amazing 12-voice Missa Et ecce terræ motus, “monstrous and unique”, in Schmelzer’s words. Recorded during their 2023 European tour, the ensemble has added to their regular singers four wind instrument players and, most especially, has invited the Portuguese composer and guitarist Manuel Mota, who provides some intriguing soundscapes which seamlessly blend with the spectacular singing.

Björn Schmelzer: “This mass was unprecedented for Brumel’s time, totally incomparable to what else was being composed. It evokes many later genres and even contemporary styles, as you see when you perform it today. In any case, I am fascinated by musical works that are exceptional in their own time and in that specific sense are essential to a certain historical period. Taking such exceptional works seriously and seeing them as crucial means that you automatically change the existing image of the past, and I am convinced that you also change your own time.”

In the booklet essay, Schmelzer builds on the similarities of Brumel’s composition to Pieter Bruegel’s drawing The Resurrection of Christ, providing yet another fascinating approach to one of the most outstanding and crucial musical creations of the Renaissance.

Edited by T.D.