Richard Wyands, RIP

Kevin Bresnahan

We have lost three  jazz pianists in the past weeks. Though all three were damn good, I have to admit that Richard Wyands was my favorite of the 3. Richard played with almost everyone, but seemed to be under the radar in that he did not seem to get much recognition from the jazz audience. He made some fine trio recordings, and fit in extremely well with the numerous groups groups with whom he appeared and recorded.

The last time I remember seeing Richard Wyands live was when he was with the Jimmy Cobb Mob, a group that also included Eric Alexander and Peter Bernstein.

A will certainly miss this very fine jazz musician.

BTW - the 1949 Charles Mingus session for Fentone was both Richard Wyands' and Cal Tjader's recording debut. Wyands was on Tjader's 1954 California sessions for Savoy and Fantasy, too. He was very friendly when S. Duncan Reid interviewed him on the phone about these sessions for his Tjader biography.

16 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

The last time I remember seeing Richard Wyands live was when he was with the Jimmy Cobb Mob, a group that also included Eric Alexander and Peter Bernstein.

That was a killer band! I remember going to one of their gigs not knowing that Wyands was on piano and being amazed at his playing. He was the one you found yourself watching more than any of the others.

Nice man.  We shared a hometown and a few common friends (the amiable Vernon Alley, for one) and so a few pleasant conversations at concerts.  Mr. Wyands never seemed his age, so 91 seems almost unreal.  I'm glad our paths crossed.  Rest peacefully.

A few years ago, I moved a vacation to New York up a day specifically to see Richard Wyands at Mezzrow.  He was playing with Jeremy Pelt and Peter Washington.  We showed up early and sat right up front where we could see Wyands and company in action.  As he did over the course of his career, he provided exactly what was needed.  Hearing him from a few feet away in an intimate venue with a small group was the perfect way to hear him work his subtle magic.  

During the set break, I approached him and babbled enthusiastically about how great it was to see him perform in person.  I'm not sure that he spoke a word (Pelt approached to tell him the second set would start soon) and I didn't have the nerve to ask him to sign something.  I hope he appreciated someone geeking out over him.

That show was the night before the last time I caught Harold Mabern (at the Village Vanguard with John Webber and Joe Farnsworth).  I told Mabern during the set break that I had seen Wyands the night before and he said that Wyands hadn't played a gig in the city in a couple of years.  While I knew that I was exceedingly lucky to have planned a trip at the right time to catch a rare gig by the semi-retired Wyands, I didn't know that I'd never see Mabern again.  After Mabern's second set, I caught most of Lew Tabackin's late trio set at Smalls; catching Wyands, Mabern and Tabackin in two days made it a vacation I'll always remember.

Thank you for the music, Mr. Wyands, and rest in peace.