Richard Wyands, RIP

Kevin Bresnahan

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Pretty sure he was with Burrell's group when I saw him at La Bastille (RIP) in Houston, summer of 1974.

I caught them at a Newport in NY Festival with KB's Quartet, when it used to be a jazz festival. Great concert setting at one of the larger halls (Town Hall, Carnegie. Philharmonic?).

We had great seats, center orchestra, sublime concert.

RW was probably there when I went with my parents to see KB at the first Newport in NY Festival, in a concert at the Felt Forum, but i don't remember who was playing with him then. Herbie Mann was on the bill, and I went crazy over Sonny Sharrock cranking up the gain, and using a slide as he manically strummed all six strings to create a volcanic eruption, that sent the older folks in the audience running for the exits. One older, bearded guy with glasses stood up and yelled, "Do you call this music!", and walked out in a huff,

Sarah Vaughan came on last, and my father was convinced she was totally smashed, because of the way she slurred her words when she spoke and sang, LOL! 

My fave RW with KB is on the "Night Song" album on Verve. Half of the cuts have KB with a big band, and the other half have him with a small group, featuring RW.