Blindfold Test 187 - link and discussion

mjzee

I was humbled to be asked by Hot Ptah to present the October Blindfold Test - number 187!  A fine number; not sure it's prime, but whatever.  As before, I made no effort to "stump the crowd" - no obscurities for the sake of obscurity, no hair shirt music, just stuff I like to listen to.  Still, none of us can know everything, so I am hoping there are at least a few tracks to intrigue and engage even the most seasoned Organissimo board member.  17 tracks, about 80 minutes total.  If you dare, direct your browser to:

http://thomkeith.net/index.php/blindfold-tests/

BFT187

1 – Well, the song is Bacharach’s “Close To You”, made famous by the Carpenters. I’ve always loved that song!   LeDonne certainly sounds like the Mighty Burner, Charles Earland, in a later career recording, doesn’t he (saw Bill F's post)?  Common personnel helps with that   Awesome start to the BFT.

2 – Eugene McDaniels’ “Feel Like Makin’ Love”, made famous by Roberta Flack.  I’ve always hated that song!  Good performance, I assume later vintage, though I have no idea who the singer is.

3 – 6 were snoozers for me, did not keep my attention.  I recognize the compositions, cannot name the artists.

7 – I like this, though not something I would go buy.  Very able bari player, the bass player catches my ear (in a good way, enjoy hearing him).  This is probably 70’s as the bass player seems busier than the earlier guys normally were, but the sound quality and the horn charts don’t have the retro quality this sort of thing would have in later decades?

8 Now we’re talking.  NOT Hutcherson, too metallic.  Maybe someone like Steve Nelson.  Love the rhythm section interaction and the comping of the pianist.  Getting off on the bass player.  I’d buy this.  The drummer has listened to a lot of Roy Haynes.

9 – This sort of thing is obviously pleasant enjoyable, but not something I care enough about to try to understand the differentiations.  Could be Lionel Hampton with Illinois Jacquet?

10 – I respect this more than I like it.  Obviously talented players.  I suspect later vintage, someone like Larry Goldings.  For my organ combo listening, I’ll stick with stuff like the first cut.  The guitarist knows his Wes Montgomery octaves.

11 – Works for me.  The Byrds’ incredible “Eight Miles High” by the incomparable Rufus Harley on the Atlantic “Kings/Queens” Album.  The Atlantic studio pros (Chuck Rainey, Eric Gale, Richard Tee et al) get it right for the bagpipe man.

12 – The Paris Sisters oldie “I Love How You Love Me” in a version clearly from the mid-60’s (the folk-rock beat, the fuzz guitar solo),my favorite rock/pop era, by Nino Tempo-April Stevens.  Fun stuff for sure, though I may well be the only person who listens to this BFT who appreciates it (Sangrey may have some thoughts on this one if he participates).

13-16 – “interesting”.  Differentiations not cost effective for me.

17 -  Right up my alley, thank you very much.   Tenor player sounds GREAT to me.   Is this a Horace Silver cut from one of his 60’s Blue Note albums?  I’ll search this out some more, suspect I’ll figure it out, and would hope it is sitting in my collection somewhere.

Fun, unusual BFT, thanks.  I certainly look forward to the reveal!

Quite a few good responses right out of the gate.  I'll consolidate and respond to them here:

Track 1: BillF and felser nailed that one.

Track 2: felser's song title is correct.

Track 6: BillF ID'd both the song title and pianist.

Track 7: Not Pepper Adams.  This was recorded in the '70's.

Track 8: Not Booby Hutcherson, not Steve Nelson, not Roy Haynes.  BillF got the song title.

Track 9: BillF correctly identified Earl Bostic.

Track 10: Not Larry Goldings.  Actually, the organist is of earlier vintage, which cannot be said of the other musicians.

Track 11: Both felser and BillF got this one.

Track 12: Very impressed that felser knew this one.  Not jazz, I know, but when else could I do a seg involving bagpipes?

Track 14: Jim caught the hairy provenance of Roy Wood.

Track 17: Jim got the title correct.

Edited by mjzee

1 hour ago, mjzee said:

Track 17: Jim got the title correct.

Ah, Elvin Jones from 'Midnight Walk'!   Hank Mobley and Thad Jones and Dollar Brand.  I had used "Lycra Too?" from this on my last BFT, but haven't actually listened to the full album in many years.

44 minutes ago, felser said:

Ah, Elvin Jones from 'Midnight Walk'!   Hank Mobley and Thad Jones and Dollar Brand.  I had used "Lycra Too?" from this on my last BFT, but haven't actually listened to the full album in many years.

This composition sounds so familiar...did Hank record it on any other album, perhaps under another title?

Count me as among those really enjoying track #8, although I have no guesses.

I had never heard (or heard of) Rufus Harley.  I've since read that he is the ONLY jazz bagpipe player.

Track #12 would someone from the British Invasion doing up this easy listening piece--and all the better for it.

Track #15 is a Horace Silver tune.  Herbie Mann?

Track #16 is "Summertime." Weirdly reverberating solo guitar.  No idea.

Track #17...anyone not recognizing Elvin should be banned from this website.

Edited by Milestones

Dance_Me_This.jpg

Track #2 is a song I have always loved, the opposite of felser's view of it. I often used to attend her club performances in Kansas City before she made it big. It is Karrin Allyson on vocals.

In fact I once attended a banquet with a guest speaker and the venue (Plaza III in Kansas City) neglected to tell us that Karrin Allyson and her trio would be performing in the bar on the other side of a thin room divider from us. We were treated to her full set while the guest speaker tried to make himself heard over her singing.

Track #13 is an unusual choice, the title track from Frank Zappa's "Dance Me This", released in 2015. This is one of his last recordings before his death, and features Frank on synclavier. 

Track #16 is unmistakably John Fahey on guitar. I am not familiar with the album on which this version of "Summertime" appeared.

Edited by Hot Ptah

31 minutes ago, Hot Ptah said:

Dance_Me_This.jpg

Track #2 is a song I have always loved, the opposite of felser's view of it. I often used to attend her club performances in Kansas City before she made it big. It is Karrin Allyson on vocals.

In fact I once attended a banquet with a guest speaker and the venue (Plaza III in Kansas City) neglected to tell us that Karrin Allyson and her trio would be performing in the bar on the other side of a thin room divider from us. We were treated to her full set while the guest speaker tried to make himself heard over her singing.

Track #13 is an unusual choice, the title track from Frank Zappa's "Dance Me This", released in 2015. This is one of his last recordings before his death, and features Frank on synclavier. 

Track #16 is unmistakably John Fahey on guitar. I am not familiar with the album on which this version of "Summertime" appeared.

All correct.