Jazz in Grand Rapids and west Michigan

Lazaro Vega

Friday is the 100th anniversary of drummer/bandleader Art Blakey's birth (yes, his recordings are featured on Friday night's Jazz From Blue Lake, 10 p.m. - 3 a.m. over 88.9 and 90.3 FM, streaming live from www.bluelake.org/listen). Then, on the 27th, Detroiter Sean Dobbins joins guitarist Joshua Breakstone and bassist Marion Hayden for their tribute to Art Blakey at LaFontsee Galleries in the Underground Concert Series produced by www.adventuremusic.org. Drum on!

On 10/9/2019 at 2:24 PM, Lazaro Vega said:

Friday is the 100th anniversary of drummer/bandleader Art Blakey's birth (yes, his recordings are featured on Friday night's Jazz From Blue Lake, 10 p.m. - 3 a.m. over 88.9 and 90.3 FM, streaming live from www.bluelake.org/listen). Then, on the 27th, Detroiter Sean Dobbins joins guitarist Joshua Breakstone and bassist Marion Hayden for their tribute to Art Blakey at LaFontsee Galleries in the Underground Concert Series produced by www.adventuremusic.org. Drum on!

Breakstone is also coming here to do his Blakey tribute this month.  I'm only familiar with him by name, but I am looking forward to hearing him.  He'll have Aidan Plank (an excellent local bassist) and Jim Rupp (of Hank Marr fame!) joining him.  I bet the Hayden/Dobbins pair would really work with the Blakey material, too.   

• 1 month later...