bebopbob

• 3 weeks later...

Kloss' Prestige sessions:

September 1, 1965: Introducing Eric Kloss - Prestige 7442 - w. Don Patterson, Pat Martino, Billy James (6 issued, 3 unissued tracks)

March 14, 1966: Love And All That Jazz - Prestige 7469 - w. Groove Holmes, Gene Edwards, Grady Tate (2 issued, 7 unissued tracks)

April 11, 1966: Love And All That Jazz - Prestige 7469 - w. Don Patterson, Vinnie Corrao, Billy James (5 issued, 1 unissued track)

December 21, 1966: Grits And Gravy - Prestige 7486 - w. Danny Bank, Teddy Charles, Alfred Williams, Billy Butler, Ronnie Boykins, Robert Gregg, voices arranged by Ed Bland (3 issued, 2 unissued tracks)

December 22, 1966: Grits And Gravy - Prestige 7486 - w. Jaki Byard, Richard Davis, Alan Dawson (5 issued, 2 unissued tracks included in the CD reissue)

July 14, 1967: First Class Kloss - Prestige 7520 - w. Jimmy Owens, Cedar Walton, Leroy Vinegar, Alan Dawson (6 issued, 3 unissued tracks)

September 18, 1967: Life Force - Prestige 7535 - w. Jimmy Owens, Pat Martino, Ben Tucker, Alan Dawson (6 issued tracks)

December 22, 1967: We're Going Up - Prestige 7565 - w. Jimmy Owens, Kenny Barron, Bob Carnshaw, Alan Dawson (6 issued, 1 unissued track)

August 13, 1968: Sky Shadows - Prestige 7594 - w. Jaki Byard, Pat Martino, Bon Cransaw, Jack deJohnette (5 issued tracks)

January 2, 1969: In The Land Of The Giants - Prestige 7262 - w. Booker Ervin, Jaki Byard, Richard Davis, Alan Dawson ( 5 issued tracks, 1 unissued)

July 22, 1969: To Hear Is To See - Prestige 7689 - w. Chick Corea, Dave Holland, Jack deJohnette (5 issued tracks, 2 unissued)

January 6, 1970: Consciousness - Prestige 7793 - w. Chick Corea, Pat Martino, Dave Holland, Jack deJohnette (5 issued tracks)

CD reissues: 

Prestige PRCD-24268-2 - About Time - 7442 & 7469

Prestige PRCD-24293-2 - First Class - 7486 & 7520 (includes 2 unissued tracks)

Prestige PRCD-24217-2 - Sky Shadows / In The Land Od The Giants - 7594 & 7262

Prestige PRCD-24125-2 - Eric Kloss & The Rhythm Section - 7689 & 7793

Only two of the 21 unissued tracks were included in one of those twofer CDs. Two albums were not reissued on CD. All that would have made a great box set!

Edited by mikeweil

12 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Kloss' Prestige sessions:

September 1, 1965: Introducing Eric Kloss - Prestige 7442 - w. Don Patterson, Pat Martino, Billy James (6 issued, 3 unissued tracks)

March 14, 1966: Love And All That Jazz - Prestige 7469 - w. Groove Holmes, Gene Edwards, Grady Tate (2 issued, 7 unissued tracks)

April 11, 1966: Love And All That Jazz - Prestige 7469 - w. Don Patterson, Vinnie Corrao, Billy James (5 issued, 1 unissued track)

December 21, 1966: Grits And Gravy - Prestige 7486 - w. Danny Bank, Teddy Charles, Alfred Williams, Billy Butler, Ronnie Boykins, Robert Gregg, strings arranged by Ed Bland (5 issued, 2 unissued tracks)

December 22, 1966: Grits And Gravy - Prestige 7486 - w. Jaki Byard, Richard Davis, Alan Dawson (5 issued, 1 unissued track)

July 14, 1967: First Class Kloss - Prestige 7520 - w. Jimmy Owens, Cedar Walton, Leroy Vinegar, Alan Dawson (6 issued, 3 unissued tracks)

September 18, 1967: Life Force - Prestige 7535 - w. Jimmy Owens, Pat Martino, Ben Tucker, Alan Dawson (6 issued tracks)

December 22, 1967: We're Going Up - Prestige 7565 - w. Jimmy Owens, Kenny Barron, Bob Carnshaw, Alan Dawson (6 issued, 1 unissued track)

August 13, 1968: Sky Shadows - Prestige 7594 - w. Jaki Byard, Pat Martino, Bon Cransaw, Jack deJohnette (5 issued tracks)

January 2, 1969: In The Land Of The Giants - Prestige 7262 - w. Booker Ervin, Jaki Byard, Richard Davis, Alan Dawson ( 5 issued tracks, 1 unissued)

July 22, 1969: To Hear Is To See - Prestige 7689 - w. Chick Corea, Dave Holland, Jack deJohnette (5 issued tracks, 2 unissued)

January 6, 1970: Consciousness - Prestige 7793 - w. Chick Corea, Pat Martino, Dave Holland, Jack deJohnette (5 issued tracks)

CD reissues: 

Prestige PRCD-24268-2 - About Time - 7442 & 7469

Prestige PRCD-24293-2 - First Class - 7486 & 7520 (includes 1 unissued track)

Prestige PRCD-24217-2 - Sky Shadows / In The Land Od The Giants - 7594 & 7262

Prestige PRCD-24125-2 - Eric Kloss & The Rhythm Section - 7689 & 7793

Only one of the 21 unissued tracks was included in one of those twofer CDs. Two albums were not reissued on CD. All that would have made a great box set!

I would have ordered/bought such a box in an instance. It would make a perfect Mosaic, in an ideal world where they had rights to the old Fantasy material.

49 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I would have ordered/bought such a box in an instance. It would make a perfect Mosaic, in an ideal world where they had rights to the old Fantasy material.

Me too - Kloss could play and held his own in such fast company. Six or seven CDs, depending on the lenghth of the unissued tracks - if they still exist.

Yes, to my mind those albums are a great snapshot of a particular era and sound. Kloss more than held his own in fast company, the bands had some great lineups and compositionally there was always something interesting going on. Ideal Mosaic material - heck, I can even tolerate and enjoy the out of tune Prestige piano. :)

I agree that Kloss could play (and he kept growing, his Muse albums show a player who was not interested in standing still). But, on the Prestige albums especially, he always sounds to me like the least strong (note that I didn't say "weakest") link in some very strong chains.

Some kind of collation is appropriate, I should think, because some of those rhythm sections are the sort that I buy records just to hear THEM. With Kloss being sort of "relegated" these days, it's too easy to not know about these records, and no matter what Kloss' relative strength within may or may not be, he's never a drag on the rhythm sections.

I mean, Byard/Davis/Dawson, that's a trio I would listen to even if they were backing a Mrs. Miller/Tiny Tim duet.

17 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I mean, Byard/Davis/Dawson, that's a trio I would listen to even if they were backing a Mrs. Miller/Tiny Tim duet.

Listening to Grits And Gravy right now. But the combination of that pop/mood music material with the Byard/Davis/Dawson tracks is odd.

Had to correct minor details in my listing above - sorry for the mistakes. Typed at night .....

Edited by mikeweil

On 10/5/2019 at 2:38 PM, Д.Д. said:

One could request Concord to provide Kloss's Prestige and Muse albums on Streaming platforms. This should be doable, and most likely won't cost them too much if the masters are still there. CDs are probably out of the question at this stage. 

The Prestige/Fantasy material is on Naxos (though probably unavailable in the US).  This makes up 6 albums' worth.  First Class! is also available on iTunes.  The Muse sessions are generally not available, with exception of One, Two, Free, which is also on iTunes. 

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

I agree that Kloss could play (and he kept growing, his Muse albums show a player who was not interested in standing still). But, on the Prestige albums especially, he always sounds to me like the least strong (note that I didn't say "weakest") link in some very strong chains.

Some kind of collation is appropriate, I should think, because some of those rhythm sections are the sort that I buy records just to hear THEM. With Kloss being sort of "relegated" these days, it's too easy to not know about these records, and no matter what Kloss' relative strength within may or may not be, he's never a drag on the rhythm sections.

And keep in mind Kloss was 16 when he recorded his first Prestige album, and 21 when he recorded his last one.   I think Prestige was well aware of the fast company they had the kid keeping, what with one of the albums titled "In The Land of the Giants".   I'm also a fan of the "Essence" album on Muse, with Hannibal Peterson and Micky Tucker.  The lead cut, "Love Will Take You There" is my all-time favorite Kloss.   And that one is also MIA on CD.