Marion Brown: Porto Novo

Late

Marion Brown's Porto Novo is being reissued in November, this time through the Muzak label (out of Taiwan, if I'm not mistaken) and with the original UK cover:

brown_mario_portonovo_103b.jpg

In mini-LP format. All of the discs I've purchased on Muzak sound pretty good. I'll be getting this reissue for sure. I think it's Brown's masterwork. 1967, with Maarten Altena and Han Bennink. Bennink is a drummer who, for me, a little goes a long way; on this record, however, I think he's perfect. His playing is less tongue-in-cheek.

Anyone know where I can find info on this label online? Did a couple of searches and came up with nothing. I'm interested in the Marion Brown (have heard & love it, but don't own it), and seeing that they're reissuing the Hemphill also, I definitely need to see what else they have coming out...

3 minutes ago, soulpope said:

The original cover art from the Polydor/Freedom vinyl release ....

Indeed. Just checking this out on Discogs. I ditched the Da Music CD I had though I wish I hadn't. Also hadn't clocked that the Fontana Blood with Marte Roling sleeve is an entirely different LP. I don't have either of the Bley Fontana's and - well, I'm getting itchy...

20 hours ago, Pim said:

OOP, very expansive used and there for very much wanted by people who do not yet own this music? Someone like me?

International Phonograph's CD of Dogon A.D. sounds fantastic. If possible, I would try to get a (second hand) copy of that CD or else the vinyl that was released later on.

Jonathan Horwich also did Horace Tapscott Quintet The Giant Is Awakened. That was recently reissued in Japan by Solid Records. I managed to download a FLAC rip of that Japanese CD and the difference in sound quality between these two reissues is not trivial. Basically, the Japanese CD sounds like shit in comparison. I bought just one of these Flying Dutchman reissues on CD, Oliver Nelson's Black, Brown and Beautiful, and now can't help but think it could have sounded better as well.

Edited by erwbol

3 hours ago, erwbol said:

International Phonograph's CD of Dogon A.D. sounds fantastic. If possible, I would try to get a (second hand) copy of that CD or else the vinyl that was released later on.

Jonathan Horwich also did Horace Tapscott Quintet The Giant Is Awakened. That was recently reissued in Japan by Solid Records. I managed to download a FLAC rip of that Japanese CD and the difference in sound quality between these two reissues is not trivial. Basically, the Japanese CD sounds like shit in comparison. I bought just one of these Flying Dutchman reissues on CD, Oliver Nelson's Black, Brown and Beautiful, and now can't help but think it could have sounded better as well.

I agree with all of that. Jonathan did a great job on all of his issues. Too bad he seems to be done!!!

On 10/7/2019 at 0:31 PM, jlhoots said:

So who "owns" the rights to Dogon A.D.?

DA Music/Alan Bates. I assume it was just licensed to International Phonograph, and that license probably expired. 

I have the original Polydor issue of the Marion Brown, with a handsome gatefold cover, and it is indeed a wonderful, special session.

I have the Polydor pressing of Paul Bley "In Haarlem" as well and it sounds pretty good. 

• 1 month later...

November 22, 2019:

• Marion Brown: Porto Novo (original UK cover)

• Paul Bley: In Haarlem

• Gato Barbieri & Dollar Brand: Hamba Khale!

December 11, 2019

• Julius Hemphill: Dogon AD (original MBARI cover)

• Human Arts Ensemble: Under the Sun (original pink Universal Justice Records cover)

• Oliver Lake: NTU - Point From Which Creation Begins (Arista cover)

All in mini-LP format on the Taiwanese MUZAK label. Some information hereHamba Khale has been slotted for reissue many, many times. I hope this Muzak edition becomes a reality. Killer album. I also hope the original Togetherness cover gets used:

R-3221097-1414725131-9157.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Late

17 hours ago, Late said:

November 22, 2019:

• Marion Brown: Porto Novo (original UK cover)

• Paul Bley: In Haarlem

• Gato Barbieri & Dollar Brand: Hamba Khale!

December 11, 2019

• Julius Hemphill: Dogon AD (original MBARI cover)

• Human Arts Ensemble: Under the Sun (original pink Universal Justice Records cover)

• Oliver Lake: NTU - Point From Which Creation Begins (Arista cover)

These will be reissues that last only for a small handful of months on the Japanese market. I wish Ric Colbeck's The Sun Is Coming Up would have been included in the list. It was at one time (a few years ago) and then was cancelled. That, and Marion Brown's Le Temps Fou (also cancelled). I've pre-ordered the Brown and Barbieri/Brand from CD Japan, who have them up on their site. 

3 minutes ago, erwbol said:

Would Paul Bley Live in Haarlem be a good first Paul Bley album to buy?

I'd start with other albums first. The Haarlem tracks are relatively long, but Bley's playing is always full of surprise. I'd suggest:

1. Closer (ESP) — for me, the perfect "start here" with Bley; if you like it, you'll want to keep going; also, for ESP, it's well-recorded

2. Footloose (Savoy) — chronologically before the ESP session, but excellent playing; the original recording doesn't sound that great; try to find the "complete" sessions as the original LP left off quite a few tracks

3. With Gary Peacock (ECM) — this album doesn't sound like an "ECM" album; great playing, and Bley has already solidly established his sound

If those three records resonate with you, then there's a ton more to explore. His earlier (1954?) record for Mercury is quite good.

On 11/14/2019 at 2:52 PM, Late said:

Hamba Khale has been slotted for reissue many, many times. I hope this Muzak edition becomes a reality. Killer album. I also hope the original Togetherness cover gets used:

It appears that the original cover is being used.

A description of Hamba Khale! from Our Friends: " ... dark and angular, but also filled with small flowers of hope, flowering in the spontaneous presence of these two great minds ... "

It's nice to have records filled with small flowers. :huh:

• 2 weeks later...