Cleaning Records

Brad

What do you guys prefer inner sleeve wise? The Blue Note albums always come in paper sleeves without any additional protection. Dust is on your vinyl within seconds. 

I myself always use paper sleeves with anti static material on the inside of the sleeve. I always replace the round plastic inner sleeves from Japan with them too but I have to say: those sleeves really seem to protect the vinyl well.... especially against dust.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Pim said:

What do you guys prefer inner sleeve wise? The Blue Note albums always come in paper sleeves without any additional protection. Dust is on your vinyl within seconds. 

I myself always use paper sleeves with anti static material on the inside of the sleeve. I always replace the round plastic inner sleeves from Japan with them too but I have to say: those sleeves really seem to protect the vinyl well.... especially against dust.

I use what used to be called rice paper sleeves.  I guess they're not rice paper, just a type of plastic with a paper sheet sandwiched in there, but they seem to work well.  Mobile Fidelity is the most famous brand, but there are lots of others like it out there.

2 minutes ago, mjzee said:

I use what used to be called rice paper sleeves.  I guess they're not rice paper, just a type of plastic with a paper sheet sandwiched in there, but they seem to work well.  Mobile Fidelity is the most famous brand, but there are lots of others like it out there.

I started using those on my records in the '70s - I think Roscoe Mitchell's "Nonaah" was the first one.

The ultimate inner sleeve imo was like Columbia used to do - a sealed plastic bag with a little perforation on top to tear off when you were ready to play the record for the first time.  It's like checking into a hotel room and when you go to the bathroom you see that Sanitized for Your Protection strip across the toilet bowl, you know you're getting the very best there is to get.

Downside, though - no catalog advertisements, or pictures about how stereophonic sound works or don't let a bad needle destroy your records. BUT - you can get that anywhere.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

The ultimate inner sleeve imo was like Columbia used to do - a sealed plastic bag with a little perforation on top to tear off when you were ready to play the record for the first time.  It's like checking into a hotel room and when you go to the bathroom you see that Sanitized for Your Protection strip across the toilet bowl, you know you're getting the very best there is to get.

Downside, though - no catalog advertisements, or pictures about how stereophonic sound works or don't let a bad needle destroy your records. BUT - you can get that anywhere.

Also, I found that after pulling the LP out of the cover 4 or 5 times, the inner sleeve became a crumpled plastic bag.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi

I recently read that washing a dirty LP (also the new ones) could improve a lot the sound removing extra noise, clicks and pops.

I just bought some used LPs (BYG reissues by Get Back), I'd like to know from you if they're dirty, damaged or what and then if a washing could improve them. They've a lot of click/pops, especially at start and end of each side. Here some photos, I hope you can see the surface:

IMG-3463.jpg IMG-3464.jpg IMG-3466.jpg IMG-3468.jpg

Don't look at those big dust particles, that I usually remove before and after each listen with one of that classic brush for vinyl.

I'm not an expert of washing LPs, I read of it a lot and I know it's kind of a religion:)

Anyway for a few money I would also be willing to try 

Edited by maldororrr

I’ve posted a few links to discussions on the Hoffman Board and found those to be helpful.

If a record is dirty, a good cleaning will help not only the record but also your stylus. However, if a record is damaged and by damaged I’m assuming you mean scratched (and not just light scratches), a cleaning is not going to undo the damage although it may sound a little better. 

1 hour ago, maldororrr said:

Hi

I recently read that washing a dirty LP (also the new ones) could improve a lot the sound removing extra noise, clicks and pops.

I just bought some used LPs (BYG reissues by Get Back), I'd like to know from you if they're dirty, damaged or what and then if a washing could improve them. They've a lot of click/pops, especially at start and end of each side. Here some photos, I hope you can see the surface:

IMG-3463.jpg IMG-3464.jpg IMG-3466.jpg IMG-3468.jpg

Don't look at those big dust particles, that I usually remove before and after each listen with one of that classic brush for vinyl.

I'm not an expert of washing LPs, I read of it a lot and I know it's kind of a religion:)

Anyway for a few money I would also be willing to try 

Difficult to tell but a good clean/wash would clear a good deal of what I think I can see.

As Brad says, if the surface is damaged, not dirty, cleaning won't work.

I use L'Art du Son cleaning fluid followed by at least two washes of distilled water and let the LP air-dry completely. L'Art du Son isn't cheap but lasts a long time and one bottle will clean a lot of LPs.

Others will use other means as effectively I'm sure. It is a religion 😃

I hadn’t heard of L’Art du Son but will check it out.

If you’re going to clean records, as mjazzg noted, use distilled water. I’m not exactly sure why distilled water vs regular water but I believe the latter has minerals in it that can hurt the record. All I know is that it’s accepted wisdom to use distilled water. 

5 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I use L’Art du Son diluted per their instructions in distilled water on a VPI 16.5. Gives good results, no need for drying time.

And there's one of the advantages of a Record Cleaning Machine which will be a significant investment.

13 minutes ago, Brad said:

I hadn’t heard of L’Art du Son but will check it out.

If you’re going to clean records, as mjazzg noted, use distilled water. I’m not exactly sure why distilled water vs regular water but I believe the latter has minerals in it that can hurt the record. All I know is that it’s accepted wisdom to use distilled water. 

I've always accepted that wisdom too. London water is so hard washing an LP in it would probably leave more residue than you were cleaning off!

Edited by mjazzg

Thanks @Brad @mjazzg @sidewinder

well I'll give it a try. Already read so many forums and posts that it's difficult to choose what record cleaning machine. The most mentioned and criticized is Spin Clean, I think. But out there there many, just see on Amazon.

For now I don't want to buy a professional machine. Just for trying it I thought to spend like 30€ (?), things like this (available on Amazon Italy, where I am)?

What do you advice?

@mjazzg From the photos above, you think the LPs have damages? They have visible scratches but I don't know if they're serious. From the listening I just hear various click/pop, nothing more. and thanks for L'Art du Son, it seems excellent

Edited by maldororrr

At first, I’d go with something like Spin Clean. Similar to Spin Clean but cheaper is a Studebaker cleaning system, https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07K8YTMDC?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I've been planning to upgrade to something better like a Nitty Gritty but haven’t pulled the plug yet. 

Edited by Brad

I don't use a machine. All done by hand, quite relaxing activity. I use a cleaning mat

https://www.analogueseduction.net/record-cleaning-work-mats/analogue-studio-professional-vinyl-record-cleaning-work-mat.html

A brush to apply the fluid equally in the surface like this

https://www.analogueseduction.net/brushes/analogue-studio-antistatic-record-cleaning-brush.html

And two microfibre cloths, one for removing the fluid only. The other to do an initial dry only.

You're best placed to see if 'damage' is causing the clicks. Watch the LP as it plays and see if clicks coincide with scratches/damage.

A clean isn't going to do any harm, scratches or not

I've used the Spin Clean since 2012, and am generally satisfied with the job it does.  Of course, it won't repair scratches and the occasional invisible/mysterious skips, but on the whole it works well.  I use purified water from a reverse osmosis water system attached to our kitchen sink, dry them off (make sure to buy additional drying cloths), slide them in a rice paper sleeve, and I'm done.  

I've occasionally thought about investing in a VPI or similar, but can't justify the counter space it permanently needs.  I also don't understand the impulse to clean a disc before each use.  If you've cleaned it already, and stored it well, why clean it again?  Where's all the new dirt coming from?

5 minutes ago, mjzee said:

I also don't understand the impulse to clean a disc before each use.  If you've cleaned it already, and stored it well, why clean it again?  Where's all the new dirt coming from?

I thought the same, but I noted sometimes records that I cleaned and appropriately stored may be noisy, in that case I clean them again.

1 hour ago, Brad said:

At first, I’d go with something like Spin Clean. Similar to Spin Clean but cheaper is a Studebaker cleaning system, https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07K8YTMDC?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I've been planning to upgrade to something better like a Nitty Gritty but haven’t pulled the plug yet. 

Studebaker is not available in my country. For near 50€ (that for just a try is maybe too much) I can find this and this.

What do you think about?

25 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I don't use a machine. All done by hand, quite relaxing activity. I use a cleaning mat

https://www.analogueseduction.net/record-cleaning-work-mats/analogue-studio-professional-vinyl-record-cleaning-work-mat.html

A brush to apply the fluid equally in the surface like this

https://www.analogueseduction.net/brushes/analogue-studio-antistatic-record-cleaning-brush.html

And two microfibre cloths, one for removing the fluid only. The other to do an initial dry only.

You're best placed to see if 'damage' is causing the clicks. Watch the LP as it plays and see if clicks coincide with scratches/damage.

A clean isn't going to do any harm, scratches or not

I was thinking too to start without machine, doing by hand. Washing phase with fluid and brush is ok but then for a good rinse how do you do?

@Brad @mjzee On the other side, with Spin clean or similar, the whole operation seems faster but if I have to wash many LPs I will have to rinse them in the dirty water caused by previous LPs (?) 🤔 Is it so you do guys?

Edited by maldororrr

9 minutes ago, maldororrr said:

Studebaker is not available in my country. For near 50€ (that for just a try is maybe too much) I can find this and this.

What do you think about?

I was thinking too to start without machine, doing by hand. Washing phase with fluid and brush is ok but then for a good rinse how do you do?

@Brad @mjzee

Buy separate spray bottles to apply the cleaning liquid and the distilled water.  To wash, spray the distilled water into the LP and wipe with the cleaning cloth, repeat once or twice. Flip the LP and do the same.

To dry, use the drying cloth then place the LP on a mug or similar so both sides are exposed to air for drying.

12 minutes ago, maldororrr said:

On the other side, with Spin clean or similar, the whole operation seems faster but if I have to wash many LPs I will have to rinse them in the dirty water caused by previous LPs (?) 🤔 Is it so you do guys?

I've never found the water to be that dirty.  I've been disappointed that, after cleaning 40 discs, the water doesn't have that much dirt at the bottom, as if I've wasted my time (of course, I know I haven't).  I've also never found that the water left any residue on the disc, provided I dried it afterwards.  

My biggest concern about the records in your picture is that some of that might be mold. Mold is not easy to get out without some scrubbing. Have you experimented with straight dishwashing soap and some light scrubbing? I'd try that before investing in a cleaning machine. If you can't get this heavy dirt off by scrubbing with soap & water, I doubt that a cleaning machine can do it.