Cleaning Records

Brad

Out of interest, how did the seller grade the LP in the pictures? If that isn't a hair at 11 o'clock on the third picture and it's a scratch then you won't clean that away. If it's a superficial scuff then you should be ok. I have LPs with scuffs that look horrible but that affect play only marginally.

I tend not to trust a seller that supplies LPs dirty for another purchase. Why wouldn't you be bothered to do even a cursory clean before sending it out? How can you accurately grade through a layer of dust/dirt?

Edited by mjazzg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, bresna said:

My biggest concern about the records in your picture is that some of that might be mold. Mold is not easy to get out without some scrubbing. Have you experimented with straight dishwashing soap and some light scrubbing? I'd try that before investing in a cleaning machine. If you can't get this heavy dirt off by scrubbing with soap & water, I doubt that a cleaning machine can do it.

In my experience a fully automatic cleaning machine isn’t the most effective way to clean records I use brushes to clean by hands and the cleaning machine as support and for vacuuming, plenty of demineralized water for rinse. Never experienced the ultrasonic machines praised nowadays.

edit: my routine

Put the record on the rcm, rubbing back and forth with specific soap on this brush, vacuum, rinse back and forth with another brush with plenty of demineralized water directly on record, vacuum. Turn the record, repeat. It works for me.

I have a fully automatic VPI, if I'd buy a machine now I'd buy the simple and cheapest rcm with vacuum on the market. Vacuum and a safe and firm place to hold the record made the cleaning process much easier and quick IMHO.

Edited by porcy62

16 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Buy separate spray bottles to apply the cleaning liquid and the distilled water.  To wash, spray the distilled water into the LP and wipe with the cleaning cloth, repeat once or twice. Flip the LP and do the same.

To dry, use the drying cloth then place the LP on a mug or similar so both sides are exposed to air for drying.

@mjazzg How do you protect the label while washing and rinsing?

I would be almost oriented on these very simple kits, what do you think is the best one? Someone has microfiber cloth instead of brush for cleaning, are they okay anyway?

1. https://www.amazon.it/Soluzione-Antistatica-Espositore-Supporto-Lasciugatura/dp/B07RZTPX5G/ref=sr_1_18?__mk_it_IT=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=kit+vinili&qid=1586677181&sr=8-18
  2. https://www.amazon.it/Professional-Vinyl-antistatico-microfibra-detergente/dp/B009GJEAZW/ref=sr_1_3?__mk_it_IT=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=kit+vinili&qid=1586677181&sr=8-3
  3. https://www.amazon.it/Big-Fudge-Collezione-Soluzione-Rimuovere/dp/B07DVSTBXM/ref=sr_1_4?__mk_it_IT=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=kit+vinili&qid=1586677181&sr=8-4
  4. https://www.amazon.it/detergente-19-gram-microfibra-manutenzione-mantenere/dp/B07H5C8ZL2/ref=sr_1_31?__mk_it_IT=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=kit+vinili&qid=1586677181&sr=8-31

15 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Out of interest, how did the seller grade the LP in the pictures? If that isn't a hair at 11 o'clock on the third picture and it's a scratch then you won't clean that away. If it's a superficial scuff then you should be ok. I have LPs with scuffs that look horrible but that affect play only marginally.

I tend not to trust a seller that supplies LPs dirty for another purchase. Why wouldn't you be bothered to do even a cursory clean before sending it out? How can you accurately grade through a layer of dust/dirt?

Maybe you intended fourth image? This:

IMG-3468.jpg

That is not an hair, it's a scuff. The records was graded Near Mint by the seller on Discogs. I'm agreed with you but I can't do anything.

15 hours ago, bresna said:

My biggest concern about the records in your picture is that some of that might be mold. Mold is not easy to get out without some scrubbing. Have you experimented with straight dishwashing soap and some light scrubbing? I'd try that before investing in a cleaning machine. If you can't get this heavy dirt off by scrubbing with soap & water, I doubt that a cleaning machine can do it.

Oh damn, mold!? Not tried any washing, I am inquiring right now. With dish soap + scrubbing I'm afraid to damage the records. Better before try a washing with the method by hand we're talking about?

14 hours ago, porcy62 said:

In my experience a fully automatic cleaning machine isn’t the most effective way to clean records I use brushes to clean by hands and the cleaning machine as support and for vacuuming, plenty of demineralized water for rinse. Never experienced the ultrasonic machines praised nowadays.

edit: my routine

Put the record on the rcm, rubbing back and forth with specific soap on this brush, vacuum, rinse back and forth with another brush with plenty of demineralized water directly on record, vacuum. Turn the record, repeat. It works for me.

I have a fully automatic VPI, if I'd buy a machine now I'd buy the simple and cheapest rcm with vacuum on the market. Vacuum and a safe and firm place to hold the record made the cleaning process much easier and quick IMHO.

Hey porcy, I'm from Italy too. what do you think about those links I share above from Amazon?

Edited by maldororrr

Just cut a bit of plastic label-sized and place it over the label. I just made this up as I tried things out. I didn't have all the answers when I started cleaning LPs. A bit of trial and error isn't going to hurt as long as you're sensible. Practice on an old LP you're not bothered by.

I'm not sure there's a lot of difference between those kits. You may want to use a recommended cleaning fluid from this thread rather than the one that comes with the kit. Some cleaning fluids have alcohol or similar which I read was best to avoid but I am no expert on that.

You can contact the seller on Discogs and tell them that you disagree with their grading. The gradings are quite explicit, quote them. Negotiate a resolution.

3 hours ago, maldororrr said:

Hey porcy, I'm from Italy too. what do you think about those links I share above from Amazon?

Hey, I don't know them so I can't judge, BUT for sure you don't want a cleaning fluid for stylus, this is the most harmful route, you don't want an unspecified fluid on you cantilever and stylus, the most effective way to keep the cartridge clean is ONZOW, IMO.

https://www.amazon.it/Onzow-Zero-Dust-Stylus-Cleaner/dp/B0075KTY3M

Edited by porcy62

9 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I use a very occasional dab of the Audio Technica liquid on my stylus. Extremely sparingly and making sure that it doesn’t spread up the cantilever. For normal cleaning it is the Dynavector brush and the green ‘sand paper’.

I used a liquid too, but when Hattori Hanzo shipped my cartridge retipped back from Japan, he in person add a handwritten note not to use any fluid on the stylus.

(not really HH but I had the handwritten note for real)

4 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I would probably avoid using it but sometimes with older records you get some gunk on there which is very difficult to shift any other way. When it is used, the results are very apparent, especially at the top end.

The ONZOW works pretty the same for me.

On 11/4/2020 at 6:35 PM, mjazzg said:

I don't use a machine. All done by hand, quite relaxing activity. I use a cleaning mat

https://www.analogueseduction.net/record-cleaning-work-mats/analogue-studio-professional-vinyl-record-cleaning-work-mat.html

A brush to apply the fluid equally in the surface like this

https://www.analogueseduction.net/brushes/analogue-studio-antistatic-record-cleaning-brush.html

And two microfibre cloths, one for removing the fluid only. The other to do an initial dry only.

You're best placed to see if 'damage' is causing the clicks. Watch the LP as it plays and see if clicks coincide with scratches/damage.

A clean isn't going to do any harm, scratches or not

On 11/4/2020 at 7:13 PM, mjazzg said:

Buy separate spray bottles to apply the cleaning liquid and the distilled water.  To wash, spray the distilled water into the LP and wipe with the cleaning cloth, repeat once or twice. Flip the LP and do the same.

To dry, use the drying cloth then place the LP on a mug or similar so both sides are exposed to air for drying.

Searching for a good microfiber cloth I found this maniacal topic

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/cheap-microfiber-cloths-scratch-my-vinyl-recommended-brands.734154/

where almost all agree that microfiber cloths are absolutely to avoid in place of a thing like this, obviously not available for me.

Others say to use microfiber cloth for cars. Like these ones?

On 11/4/2020 at 4:38 PM, mjazzg said:

I use L'Art du Son cleaning fluid followed by at least two washes of distilled water and let the LP air-dry completely. L'Art du Son isn't cheap but lasts a long time and one bottle will clean a lot of LPs.

Others will use other means as effectively I'm sure. It is a religion 😃

I'd make a solution with L'Art du son + distilled water (ratio 1:5?), put in a spray bottle and keep it for reuse in the future but I read the solution is not conserved for more than 2-3 weeks.

Or as an alternative what other fluid you advice, less expensive and spray-ready just for starting easy? I'm watching this one

20 hours ago, Brad said:

I use L'Art du Son cleaning fluid followed by at least two washes of distilled water and let the LP air-dry completely. L'Art du Son isn't cheap but lasts a long time and one bottle will clean a lot of LPs.

Others will use other means as effectively I'm sure. It is a religion 😃

I won't use Spin Clean, I'll clean by hand. Any covers to advice?

Anyway I read that labels don't need to be covered, they are wet at first but after dry are back as before

Edited by maldororrr

I don’t think you want to get your labels wet. That’s why they make label covers. Here’s one example, https://www.amazon.com/Groovmaster-Label-Saver-Record-Cleaner/dp/B00NP0QAOW

I’ve never previously heard that microfiber cloths are bad for vinyl.

When it comes to cleaning records, there is no shortage of suggestions and dos and donts. Finding one that works for you is the hard part. 

18 minutes ago, porcy62 said:

BTW You can use ONZOW after wet cleaning to remove the residue, I used to do that way before I gave up fluids.

Thanks porcy ! I will probably order one of these - beats gambling a small fortune in the event that the liquid is applied incorrectly. I guess contents insurance might cover that calamity but I would rather not go there. Once more, the ingenious Japanese come up with an optimal solution. :)

Good results with L’Art du Son and the VPI this morning. Played ‘Pre-Rahsaan’ twofer Prestige green label earlier on. Great music of course but noisy and a bit shrill. A clean up renders the noise hardly detectable and the sound tightened up considerably. Result. :)

Edited by sidewinder

• 6 months later...
On 4/11/2020 at 8:48 AM, Brad said:

At first, I’d go with something like Spin Clean. Similar to Spin Clean but cheaper is a Studebaker cleaning system, https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07K8YTMDC?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I've been planning to upgrade to something better like a Nitty Gritty but haven’t pulled the plug yet. 

I upgraded to the Record Doctor V. Well worth the investment. Improved upon the Studebaker cleaning substantially. I liked the Studebaker but it was just too inconvenient. 

50 minutes ago, jcam_44 said:

I upgraded to the Record Doctor V. Well worth the investment. Improved upon the Studebaker cleaning substantially. I liked the Studebaker but it was just too inconvenient. 

I purchased the Nitty Gritty and am quite happy with it. I found this to be an excellent video on the machine and how to use it.

29 minutes ago, Brad said:

I purchased the Nitty Gritty and am quite happy with it. I found this to be an excellent video on the machine and how to use it.

Nice. I was looking for a Nitty Gritty but decided on the Record Doctor since it was on Prime. Pretty much the same machine. Also toyed with the idea of ultrasonic cleaning set up but decided against it. I'm waiting for the upgraded KAB bearing/platter kit. Should be here this weekend. 

1 hour ago, mjzee said:

Where does the used fluid go?  How often do you need to empty it, and how easy is it to do?

Basically, what jcam said. It tends to evaporate in its own. I did empty It once and it was easy. There is a stopper on the bottom and you just pull it out. 

• 2 months later...

I bought cleaning gel:

https://www.winylcleaner.com/en/Winyl-Gel/

Anyone else use this? I found it works well, but am having trouble peeling it off without leaving small bits of film on the record, especially the edges. Perhaps using a piece of plastic sheet cut-out to cover the rim of the records could be useful.

Edited by hopkins

4 hours ago, hopkins said:

I bought cleaning gel:

https://www.winylcleaner.com/en/Winyl-Gel/

Anyone else use this? I found it works well, but am having trouble peeling it off without leaving small bits of film on the record, especially the edges. Perhaps using a piece of plastic sheet cut-out to cover the rim of the records could be useful.

I think I saw this discussed once on Hoffman.