Cleaning Records

Brad

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, Brad said:

That looks like a SpinClean. I will be interested in hearing your comments. 

Based on what i've seen it is the same as a spin clean. I'm getting this and a record label saver. Hopefully to use in conjunction with one another. I'd get a VPI but I don't currently have to room needed. 

Edited by jcam_44

I used to wet wipe all my records before playing them but I find that I like the sound better when I just dry wipe it with my old trusty Discwasher. If there are any stuck on chunks, I find my finger works fine (sacrilege!!). :)

BTW - don't buy the new Discwasher. It's basically covered in cheap fuzzy corduroy, nothing like what was used in the past.

1 hour ago, bresna said:

I used to wet wipe all my records before playing them but I find that I like the sound better when I just dry wipe it with my old trusty Discwasher. If there are any stuck on chunks, I find my finger works fine (sacrilege!!). :)

BTW - don't buy the new Discwasher. It's basically covered in cheap fuzzy corduroy, nothing like what was used in the past.

I saw a video where the person said the same thing about the new ones. I think mine goes back to around 2002 or 2003. 

In my experience, there's no substitute for a vacuum-type LP cleaner.  It doesn't need to be one of the fancy, automated ones.  The basic, spin-the-disc-yourself models work every bit as well -- and they're much less expensive.  Before buying a vacuum-type cleaner, I used one of the older, higher-quality Discwasher brushes.  They work pretty darn well, but there was an immediately noticeable HUGE improvement in sound after I started cleaning my LPs with my first vacuum-type rig.   

95% of the vinyl that I buy is used -- and the records are usually in less-than-ideal condition.  So cleaning them well is very important.  Generally speaking, I've found that a VG record will sound like a VG+ record after it's been thoroughly cleaned.  Likewise, a VG+ LP will sound like a NM- (or better) record after cleaning.  Cleaning also extends the life of the record -- as well as your stylus.  So, all things considered, I think they're a "no brainer" piece of equipment for someone who enjoys buying & spinning less-than-pristine vinyl.  Massive bang for the buck.

Right now, I use the Record Doctor V, which can be had for about $200 via online retailers.  I'd recommend it.  (No commercial connection.)  When it comes to cleaning fluid, I like VPI's solution best. And I actually prefer their concentrate over their pre-mixed stuff.  (Again, nothing to gain for me financially here. Just one dude's recommendation. ;))

I bought a VPI fully automatic ages ago, then I discovered that hand cleaning with these brush was much more effective then automatic cleaning with the onboard brush, I usually use another brush for rinse with demineralized water, so actually I use the VPI only for vacuum. BTW I use Miracle Record Cleaner fluid. I never tried the expensive ultrasonic machines that are praised nowadays.

Okay. I got my Studebaker today and cleaned 5 records. First up was a copy of Gil Scott-Heron & Brian Jackson - Midnight Band. This is one of my most recent vinyl purchases and I've spun it quite a few times so i'm most familiar with it. It had moderate surface noise at its worst but was never totally clear. After cleaning it it was left with a few pops but the surface noise was gone. I was impressed.

Next up was Blue Mitchell - African Violet. I bought this for $1 and only listed to it once because it was so noisy. I actually thought I threw it out. After a cleaning it sounded new. It had a couple pops but all of side one it maybe totaled half a dozen. Very impressed. 

Third was my copy of Donald Bailey - So In Love. This is his harmonica album. When I won this on eBay maybe 10 years ago was listed as VG and arrived with a split and stained jacket and was unlistenable. Literally, I tried listening to it and put it away before the first song So In Love was halfway over. I only kept it because it is kinda rare and I have a rip someone gave me to listen to. Anyway, this has the most noise after cleaning but it is nothing like before. Its unbelievable how well it sounds compared to what it was. After playing both sides it was quiet with small surface noise mainly in the quieter passages and some click and pops through out. I think if I give it another spin in the Studebaker it may clean it the rest of the way. A really fun record. 

I've also cleaned Louis Armstrong - Satchmo Plays King Oliver and Vinny Golia - Solo which was so bad I tried to clean it with wood glue to some very limited success (I spent more on wood glue than the record by a lot). Will try to give those a spin tonight. 

But my initial opinion is for $30 this is impressive. Simple to use, fairly quick and an easy clean up. I dumped the water after cleaning these records into a clean bowl and there was noticeable tan coloration in the bowl. My vinyl collection is fairly limited (maybe 50 total records) and buy second hand almost exclusively. For the time being this appears to be the ideal cleaning set up for my space/needs. 

Noisy records almost always sound better after a wet clean. I always felt that no matter how much you vacuum or dry it, there's still some fluid in the grooves because if you let it dry over many hours, it'll be noisy again. As I said, I heard muted high frequencies when I used to wet wipe my records. I didn't hear it as much when I went dry.

FWIW, I think the Ortofon 2M Black's nude Shibata stylus, seems to playback most records much quieter than any other stylus I've owned in the past. I think it might go down into the grooves better and somehow avoids shallower scratches. I've played back some ugly-looking records with great success avoiding visible scratches.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/9/2019 at 9:21 PM, jcam_44 said:

Okay. I got my Studebaker today and cleaned 5 records. First up was a copy of Gil Scott-Heron & Brian Jackson - Midnight Band. This is one of my most recent vinyl purchases and I've spun it quite a few times so i'm most familiar with it. It had moderate surface noise at its worst but was never totally clear. After cleaning it it was left with a few pops but the surface noise was gone. I was impressed.

Next up was Blue Mitchell - African Violet. I bought this for $1 and only listed to it once because it was so noisy. I actually thought I threw it out. After a cleaning it sounded new. It had a couple pops but all of side one it maybe totaled half a dozen. Very impressed. 

Third was my copy of Donald Bailey - So In Love. This is his harmonica album. When I won this on eBay maybe 10 years ago was listed as VG and arrived with a split and stained jacket and was unlistenable. Literally, I tried listening to it and put it away before the first song So In Love was halfway over. I only kept it because it is kinda rare and I have a rip someone gave me to listen to. Anyway, this has the most noise after cleaning but it is nothing like before. Its unbelievable how well it sounds compared to what it was. After playing both sides it was quiet with small surface noise mainly in the quieter passages and some click and pops through out. I think if I give it another spin in the Studebaker it may clean it the rest of the way. A really fun record. 

I've also cleaned Louis Armstrong - Satchmo Plays King Oliver and Vinny Golia - Solo which was so bad I tried to clean it with wood glue to some very limited success (I spent more on wood glue than the record by a lot). Will try to give those a spin tonight. 

But my initial opinion is for $30 this is impressive. Simple to use, fairly quick and an easy clean up. I dumped the water after cleaning these records into a clean bowl and there was noticeable tan coloration in the bowl. My vinyl collection is fairly limited (maybe 50 total records) and buy second hand almost exclusively. For the time being this appears to be the ideal cleaning set up for my space/needs. 

Did you use regular or distilled water?

• 3 weeks later...

The Studebaker paid off today. My record dealer found me a copy of Spencer Davis’ Greatest Hits but he hadn’t had a chance to grade it. I popped it on today and sounded terrible: lot of pops, etc. Ran it through the washer and they were all gone! 

On 12/11/2019 at 10:48 PM, Brad said:

The Studebaker paid off today. My record dealer found me a copy of Spencer Davis’ Greatest Hits but he hadn’t had a chance to grade it. I popped it on today and sounded terrible: lot of pops, etc. Ran it through the washer and they were all gone! 

It's great when that happens after a clean. Pleased your new kit is working out.