Mal Waldron "Free At Last" ECM Extended Anniversary Edition

soulpope

Mal Waldron "Free At Last" Extended Anniversary Edition Double LP!

Revisited and remastered, with additional takes, texts and photos, here is the very first ECM session, recorded in November 1969, featuring the great American pianist Mal Waldron, whose resume included work with Coltrane, Mingus, Dolphy and Billie Holiday. As Jazz Journal noted, "the music sounds as fresh now as the day it was recorded". Indeed, the tersely-grooving "Boo" and "Rock My Soul" could be club hits half a century later. This Extended Anniversary Edition is issued as an audiophile vinyl double LP.

Features

• Extended Anniversary Edition
  • Double LP

Musicians

Mal Waldron, piano
Isla Eckinger bass
Clarence Becton drums

Selections

Side A:

1. Rat Now
  2. Balladina
  3. 1-3-234

Side B:

1. Rock My Soul
  2. Willow Weep For Me
  3. Boo

Side C:

1. 1-3-234 [Var.]
  2. Balladina [Var.]

Side D:

1. Boo [Var.]
  2. Willow Weep For Me [Long Version]

Recorded November 24, 1969 at Tonstudio Bauer, Ludwigsburg

12 hours ago, sonnymax said:

I'd be happy if they would sell hi-res or standard, uncompressed downloads. Those who prefer a CD could easily burn one. Additionally, they could offer files with extensive notes and hi-res cover art. C'mon folks, it's almost 2020!  :shrug[1]:

Not the same for us who are CD-centric.    A lot more work, still an inferior product, home-burned CD-R's both don't last, and downloads don't have resale value.   The late date doesn't mean we're obligated to "settle".  I have large but limited funds to spend on music, and downloads for an upgrade of something I already own on CD aren't how I am going to spend them.

Edited by felser

41 minutes ago, felser said:

Not the same for us who are CD-centric.    A lot more work, still an inferior product, home-burned CD-R's both don't last, and downloads don't have resale value.   The late date doesn't mean we're obligated to "settle".  I have large but limited funds to spend on music, and downloads for an upgrade of something I already own on CD aren't how I am going to spend them.

Amen .... at same time this was - at least for me - a pretty perfect album in its original version (Eckinger + Becton lifted by Waldron to another level .... ), so hard to improve .... but the interest in new Waldron in the late 60`s obviously lingers on ....

1 hour ago, sonnymax said:

I understand your position. I don't feel like I'm "settling", however. My new car doesn't have a CD player and I don't miss it. The clock is ticking.

Understood, we just bought a 2017 Honda Accord, in large part because it is the last year they had CD players, so this is almost certainly my last car with one.  I will listen to Sirius/XM in this car anyways, but my wife loves a CD player in the car.   I do consider myself basically "finishing off" my CD collection with tweaks at this point, and what I have likely will nicely last me the rest of my listening life.  The next generations prefer their downloads, and so be it (vinyl is still just a niche market) - I have produced my own CD-R's for the car for many years, as it has been a while since we had a car with a Sirius/XM receiver (the portable ones are too much work while driving).  Interesting exchange, thanks.

14 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

What I mean is, people who want CDs expect to pay a low price. That low price point reduces the incentive to make them. Vinyl, on the other hand...

I would be glad to pay a somewhat premium price for this expanded reissue on CD. $15 easily, maybe even closer to $20.

I already have it on CD, but I’d love the additional material.

Not willing to play Premium LP prices, though, as I rarely buy anything on LP unless it’s out of print and never been on CD before (or maybe if the CD edition is sky-high, price wise).

For me its somehow bizarr, that ECM - like a number of other labels - sold us LP`S until the early 80`S, made us rebuying the stuff as CD`s and now for the 50th anniversary they´re reissuing the label`s initial release (btw for the first time a ECM reissue with bonus tracks !!) as vinyl only (?) ....

• 1 month later...