Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Michael

Jazz in Paris 3CD boxes from Gitanes

7 posts in this topic

More box sets from Freejazz's (Scott)  archives.  I am helping him liquidate his massive collection

Feel free to ask any questions.
Also feel free to combine with any other box set I have listed to combine shipping and save on shipping.

Shipping to US only
Media mail $5 for first box and $2 each additional box sets
Payment is via PayPal.
If interested, please respond in thread and then PM.

All these box sets are in VG or VG+ condition. The only consistent "issue" with them is the glue on the back label has bled thru the paper track listings on the rear of all four sets. They look like quarter sized, or smaller coffee stains. This seems typical of these sets,  as many of the listings of these box sets on Discogs mention the glue spotting.

The booklets that accompany these boxes are filled with great stories and even greater pictures of the musicians at work on-stage and also numerous shots of record covers from the eras covered. Lots of great reading here.

These are all 3 CD box sets

1.Jazz in Paris, Volume 1: Champs-Elysées (1917-1949) $40
Great music from the early days. Lots of standards and wonderful fidelity.
This box has a hole drilled thru the UPC code on back as well as a couple small creases on the same corner. Back label has started to lift and can be reglued if desired. One of the box corners has a small split that runs halfway down the corner. Other than those issues, it is very clean. Booklet and cases are pristine. In bright sunllight, I can see no marks on any of the discs. Overall I rate this set VG+.

2.Jazz in Paris, Volume 2: Montmartre (1924-1939) $44
Lots of Django and Stephane from the Hot Club.
This box top has three of four corners split. Rear label has two dime sized spots of glue bled thru. Booklet, cases and discs NM-. CD one opens with five Louis Armstrong performaces from 1934.
Great stuff from Montmartre "Harlem-sur-Seine."

3.Jazz in Paris, Volume 3: Saint-Germain-des-Prés (1946 -1956) $51
Discs are all still sealed!! Top of box has one split corner and hole is drilled thru the UPC code. Booklet is pristine and discs are unopened. NM-

4.Jazz in Paris, Volume 4: Rive Gauche, Rive Droite (1956-1959) $48
Discs look NM-, booklet is perfect as is box, other than minimal wear on top lid. These boxes are all white so easy to see imperfections, however minor.
Miles, Max Roach, Kenny Clarke, Blakey and many others.

I will sell all four for $170 shipped. 

Thanks for looking.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Michael said:

All these box sets are in VG or VG+ condition. The only consistent "issue" with them is the glue on the back label has bled thru the paper track listings on the rear of all four sets. They look like quarter sized, or smaller coffee stains. This seems typical of these sets,  as many of the listings of these box sets on Discogs mention the glue spotting.

Out of curiosity ...

I only have Vol.III of this series (which I bought during a vist over in France when it had just hit the record racks there).

But I wonder about the "issues" you mention. I cannot see any spot on my set (neither box nor digipacks inside) where there is any "glue" that might bleed through. Were there visually different releases/presentations? Mine are predominantly all-white with B&W lettering and sepia/B&W front cover photographs. The track listings (apart form those on the digipacks) are on an inlay sheet.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I will post a few pictures tonight or tomorrow.  Not sure about different releases but I doubt it.  This seems like a pretty small and specializedfan base.  

I only have Volume 1 in this series and my copy exhibits the same kind of glue bleed-through problem on the back.

pictures of spots on backs of boxes......

20191018_071601_resized.jpg

20191018_071605_resized.jpg

20191018_071610_resized.jpg

20191018_071551_resized.jpg

Edited by Michael

Volume 1 now $37
Volume 2 now $40
Volume 3 now $48
Volume 4 now $46

Take all for for $160 shipped media mail

4 hours ago, Michael said:

pictures of spots on backs of boxes......

20191018_071601_resized.jpg

20191018_071605_resized.jpg

20191018_071610_resized.jpg

20191018_071551_resized.jpg

Ha, I'm begining to see what the problem is.

When I bought mine in the record department of a FNAC outlet in France it was in shrink wrap and the sheet with the track listings and line-ups was was included as a LOOSE leaf on the back of the box outside the box (for customers to check) but inside the shrink wrap. Once the shrink wrap removed I placed the sheet inside the box, of course, and it survived totally intact.