Charles Lloyd Quartet - Swiss Radio Days Jazz 46

mjzee

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great Thing, and as much as I know (I´m a bit too Young), it was this Group that brought a lot of People to jazz in the late 60´s. Many People got in touch with jazz via Charles Lloyd. Needless to say this was one of the very very best and most important Combos during that time...….

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

Great Thing, and as much as I know (I´m a bit too Young), it was this Group that brought a lot of People to jazz in the late 60´s. Many People got in touch with jazz via Charles Lloyd. Needless to say this was one of the very very best and most important Combos during that time...….

Not being too young, I was already 7 years into jazz when I saw Lloyd - in 1964 when he was a sideman with the Adderley sextet. Great group - Cannonball, Nat, Lloyd, Zawinul, Sam Jones, Louis Hayes.:D

14 hours ago, Guy Berger said:

Is this from the original recording (soundboard or otherwise), or just a rip of something shared on the site which must not be named?

The sound quality in this TCB Swiss Radio Days Jazz series, for the titles I own (6-8 from 50's to 70's) has been universally stunning, so I'm not concerned on this one.  I'm sure it will be soundboard sourced or similar quality.

This one is from right around the time when (based on what I've heard of the band, records and boots) Lloyd started being the least inspired player in his own band. Hopefully it's not gonna be like that. I will wait for others to report back before pulling any triggers.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

This one is from right around the time when (based on what I've heard of the band, records and boots) Lloyd started being the least inspired player in his own band. Hopefully it's not gonna be like that. 

Jim, I'm very surprised to see you say that.  I highly respect bandleaders who hire people who are better than they are.  For example, Herbie Mann in the late '60s.  Spencer Davis in the mid-'60s.  How about Miles with his first great quintet, his second great quintet and his lost quintet?  Even Dave Clark!

19 minutes ago, GA Russell said:

Jim, I'm very surprised to see you say that.  I highly respect bandleaders who hire people who are better than they are.  For example, Herbie Mann in the late '60s.  Spencer Davis in the mid-'60s.  How about Miles with his first great quintet, his second great quintet and his lost quintet?  Even Dave Clark!

I think Jim's referring to a falling-off in Lloyd's playing that occurred in the latter phase of the CL Quartet--a rather different matter than a leader like Miles hiring players who brought strengths that he himself might not have had.  When I interviewed George Avakian a few years ago for a Night Lights show about the Quartet (he was their manager), he was extremely negative about Lloyd's leadership in the group's waning days... seemed to ascribe it to a combination of ego and drugs, though he avoided getting too specific. 

Edited by ghost of miles

1 minute ago, ghost of miles said:

I think Jim's referring to a falling-off in Lloyd's playing that occurred in the latter phase of the CL Quartet.  When I interviewed George Avakian a few years ago for a Night Lights show about the Quartet (he was their manager), he was extremely negative about Lloyd's leadership in the group's waning days... seemed to ascribe it to a combination of ego and drugs, though he avoided getting too specific.  

Exactly.

Even if you surround yourself with "superior talent", a bandleader should still lead, set the tone and shape of a performance. Lloyd got to where he often sounded like a sideman in his own band, even on his own tunes.

I very seriously doubt that Ron McClure taking over from Cecil McBee had anything to do with it. But chronologically, that's about when it started happening, at least based on the recordings I've heard. But a lot of times it sounded like The Keith Jarrett/Jack DeJohnette Quartet Present The Music Of Charles Lloyd.

23 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

Picked up the Lloyd/Jason Moran ECM duo album at a library sale the other day. Just terrible. Lloyd sounds like he's playing a leaky stovepipe, Moran does the best he can. 

But did you ever like Charles Lloyd? Not everybody has.

I really like the 1960s Quartet and even though I share Jim's concern about the manner in which Lloyd's playing deteriorated near the end of that group, I'm still going to spring for this one.  Hearing the other musicians in this context will still be fun, even if Lloyd's starting to zone out somewhat.  

1 hour ago, charlesp said:

I can understand how you wouldn't really like Charles Lloyd, Larry. He's not from the Chicago area and you favor Chicago jazz musicians  like a local sportscaster favors their home team. 

Nonsense. The problems I have with Lloyd's playing on that album have only to do with Lloyd's playing on that album. And I could make a list of non-Chicago musicians I favor that might turn out to be the longest post in the history of Organissimo. 

38 minutes ago, Guy Berger said:

Agreed w/Jim and others that Lloyd’s playing during the 1960s can be ranked as 1962-65>1966>1967>>>>>>1968

And let's not mention his 70's work....  Loved his work with Chico Hamilton and the Columbia Albums he did, for sure.

Image result for charles lloyd waves

Edited by felser