Record Store Day - Black Friday 2019

Brad

16 minutes ago, soulpope said:

No pun intended .... but having Record Store Days twice a year makes this artificial collector`s items event even more a lecture in gold digging ....

Is this the first time they’re doing twice a year?

Record Store Day 25th Anniversary Lisa Loeb "Stay"?

WTH is the world coming to?

Just now, Brad said:

Is this the first time they’re doing twice a year?

Not at all. Black Friday stuff is at least 3-4 years old, the first one I went out for was to get the Resonance Records issue of the Three Sounds at the Penthouse recordings.

19 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Record Store Day 25th Anniversary Lisa Loeb "Stay"?

WTH is the world coming to?

Not at all. Black Friday stuff is at least 3-4 years old, the first one I went out for was to get the Resonance Records issue of the Three Sounds at the Penthouse recordings.

Thanks. I’ve never attended any of the RSDs but might check it out. 

1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

Any details?

From Zev Feldman's facebook page, fourth album discussed: 

QUADRUPLE PLAY for RSD BLACK FRIDAY! I'm spreading the love for Record Store Day Black Friday this year with a quartet of recordings I produced for 3 different record labels. ALL available, Friday, Nov. 29th:

For Resonance, we have the first vinyl edition of our widely acclaimed release by the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra "All My Yesterdays: The Debut 1966 Recordings at the Village Vanguard" and, back by popular demand, a new 2LP gatefold pressing for the first time at 33 1/3 RPM of Bill Evans "Live at Art D'Lugoff's Top of the Gate" feat. Eddie Gomez and Marty Morell from 1968 in NYC. Both of these albums are were recorded by Resonance founder and co-president, George Klabin, and are being released as limited-edition, hand-numbered sets mastered by the legendary Bernie Grundman and pressed at RTI on 180g black vinyl. More info at resonancerecords.org

On Cory Weeds' Reel To Real label, I'm thrilled to present a previously-unissued 1962 recording of Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis & Johnny Griffin called "OW! - Live at the Penthouse" with pianist Horace Parlan, bassist Buddy Catlett and Art Taylor on drums. Boasting remastered audio from the original 10" tapes, "OW!" comes with an extensive booklet including rare photos; essays by noted writer Ted Panken, pianist Michael Weiss; plus interviews with saxophonist James Carter, drummer Kenny Washington and more! More info at cellarlive.com

Last, but not least, a never-before-released 1969 STUDIO album from the legendary Brazilian jazz-bossa group Tamba 4 called "California Soul" on Elemental Music. Originally produced by jazz icon Creed Taylor for A&M Records and recorded by Rudy Van Gelder at his studio, "California Soul" was set to be the follow up to the album "Samba Blim," but the release was shelved and 50 years later is finally seeing the light of day thanks in large part to the efforts of DJ Greg Caz. The limited-edition 180g LP is mastered by Kevin Gray at Cohearant audio and pressed by Memphis Press. More info at www.elemental-music.com

Edited by jazzbo

11 hours ago, jazzbo said:

From Zev Feldman's facebook page, fourth album discussed: 

Last, but not least, a never-before-released 1969 STUDIO album from the legendary Brazilian jazz-bossa group Tamba 4 called "California Soul" on Elemental Music. Originally produced by jazz icon Creed Taylor for A&M Records and recorded by Rudy Van Gelder at his studio, "California Soul" was set to be the follow up to the album "Samba Blim," but the release was shelved and 50 years later is finally seeing the light of day thanks in large part to the efforts of DJ Greg Caz. The limited-edition 180g LP is mastered by Kevin Gray at Cohearant audio and pressed by Memphis Press. More info at www.elemental-music.com

Thanks! Nothing so far on Elemental's website. LP only, but I'm in.

19 hours ago, Brad said:

How do these RSD work if you want a particular item. Is it dependent on what the record store decides to order?

Yep. It's up to the store. Different from location to location.

That said, you can ask the stores ahead of time, and they'll likely tell you what they're bringing in.  But they won't let you buy anything until the actual RSD day.  Or they're not supposed to, at least. 

• 1 month later...

Picked up 'California Soul' today and it's a sublime successor to 'Samba Blim'.  It was $29 at my local indie Record Store Day.  Mastering is by Kevin Gray at Cohearant and the vinyl is a solid black 180-gram.  The jacket comes with a very informative insert sheet with details of finding the original tapes (as posted above) and why it never saw release until today-- 50 years later.      

5 hours ago, Bill Nelson said:

Picked up 'California Soul' today and it's a sublime successor to 'Samba Blim'.  It was $29 at my local indie Record Store Day.  Mastering is by Kevin Gray at Cohearant and the vinyl is a solid black 180-gram.  The jacket comes with a very informative insert sheet with details of finding the original tapes (as posted above) and why it never saw release until today-- 50 years later.      

I saw that today but didn’t pick it up. However, they had quite a few copies so I may go back. 

As HutchFan and Dan Gould noted above, the ordering of RSD items by each store varies, as does the certainty of shipment.  (These are limited edition goodies, after all.)

At 8:45 this morning (they opened at 8), I got the last copy of Tamba 4.  (It could well be the only one they ordered -- I had to wade through vast duplicates of meat-and-potato rock items.)