Unauthorized YouTube postings of my titles

Chuck Nessa

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Justin V said:

Ugh.  There is a a form for submitting a copyright complaint, but I don't know how involved it is.  I looked and saw that Weasel Walter had posted a chunk of Nonaah; he should know better. :unsure:

I spent a couple of hours filling out the forms and got tired.

I need to fill out copyright forms to press cds and lps - why no proof of ownership for YouTube posters?

Edited by Chuck Nessa

There is no option to report copyright infringement as a non-owner.  You can't even do something like put a checkmark on multiple videos and fill out one form.  I had to click on an infringing video (thus hearing a second of Nonaah before stopping play) just to pull up an option to report.  I know that YouTube (allegedly) wants to dissuade people from making false reports, but they also host a ton of unauthorized content and benefit from making the process more difficult.

Maybe you could authorize your kids/grandkids to act as your agents to do a quick search and report infringement whenever they are on YouTube?

Even the major corporations struggle to keep up, so go figure. 

Although when I want to rewatch Previn on Morecambe and Wise, here’s what I get:

This video contains content from BBC Studios, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

Maybe you can see it even if I can’t:

Edited by David Ayers

10 hours ago, David Ayers said:

Even the major corporations struggle to keep up, so go figure. 

Although when I want to rewatch Previn on Morecambe and Wise, here’s what I get:

This video contains content from BBC Studios, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

Maybe you can see it even if I can’t:

I'd hope for a preview at the very least

Let me say this first: I fully understand you Chuck and you have every right to be mad about all these copyright violations and especially about the difficulty to get them removed (removing a fake account on Twitter is at least as difficult!)

But there is one upside on this: to me these YouTube ‘videos’ are a great way to listen to samples. And they have influenced my decisions in what to buy a lot. In fact: quite a lot of them made me want to buy the real product. So in some way in some cases: it’s a way of advertising too ;)

Edited by Pim

1 hour ago, Pim said:

There is one upside on this: to me these YouTube ‘videos’ are a great way to listen to samples. And they have influenced my decisions in what to buy a lot. In fact: quite a lot of them made me want to buy the real product. So in some way in some cases: it’s a way of advertising too ;)

Amen. I fully respect anyone’s right to have uploads like this taken down. That said, MANY an album have I sought out a physical copy of, only after having found at least one or two full-length songs, more often than not from YouTube.

Advertising is generally defined in terms of a voluntarily directed act of promotion by the seller of a product using whatever methods/strategies/etc that said seller chooses.

If you're trying to get laid and somebody steals your dick pics off your phone and puts them up all over the webbynets, I don't think that you'd consider that as "free advertising", even if it did get you laid, unless, you know, you're a total slut or something, in which case you're probably giving it away already.

Sorry to be so blunt/crude, but the whole destruction/defilement of even the most basic forms of privacy by "social" media is not evolving well, and I damn sure don't expect it to end well.

Some examples of the material I complained about:

Roscoe Mitchell Art Ensemble Old/Quartet Sessions - 2 cds just short of 2 hours

Roscoe Mitchell Art Ensemble Congliptious - 3/4ths of the album

Roscoe Mitchell Nonaah - complete Willasau concert

Charles Tyler Saga of the Outlaws - complete

The search continues.

I think (I don't really know) that record companies receive a payment from YouTube for any ad revenue.   Most YouTube posts  now seem to have ads attached at the beginning.  Also not sure, but I think that if you prove ownership you have the choice to receive the money or have the post taken down. 

Edited by medjuck

1 hour ago, David Ayers said:

Is it time to start sticking this up on the streaming services yourself? At the very least it would be an interesting though no doubt laborious experiment. Would it stimulate sales or kill them? Short term vs long term?

A Nessa web series where Chuck talked a bit about a session and followed that with a clip would be great. 

It may behoove you to send an message to the person(s) that posted your material and let them know you would like this taken down, and explain to them in a congenial tone as to why. I know someone tried going through YouTube to have stuff removed and it didn't do much. When he personally asked the seeders in a polite manner to stop and remove the postings, all obliged. 

Chuck, have you considered uploading one or maybe two (at most) tracks per album, as "samples" -- to a YouTube account you yourself control?  It would certainly be a service to those trying to get a handle on what the music sounded like.  Again, think of it as a promotional device.

Or perhaps a single track with 45-seconds of each and every track from any given album? -- just one upload with all the samples strung together?

Often the clips available via Amazon (or AllMusic) are just the first 30-seconds of each tune on an album -- and often that doesn't really get into the meat of most tunes.  Having a curated "sampler" of some sort on YouTube certainly would be helpful to those making purchasing decisions.  (Again, wouldn't have to be full-length tracks either.)

Just a thought (and you could well have reasons for not wanting to do so, I realize).

Edited by Rooster_Ties