Unauthorized YouTube postings of my titles

Chuck Nessa

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Half my issue with buying blindly, is space.  I could easily stand to get rid of 400 CD's, if I really wanted everything to fit in the shelves I've got, plus a couple modest size boxes under the bed.  I'd wildly guess that I have about 4,000 CD's at the moment, when I really have space for about 3,500.

I still buy stuff, now and then, but I'm a lot more selective than I was 20 years ago (which is how my collection got up around 7,500 CD's before I moved to DC, and had to really thin the herd).

I don't have to listen to an entire album to make a purchasing decision, but it's sure nice to have a good 5 minutes of an album, with maybe a minute each of 5 tracks, to really be sure before I pull the trigger.  Not asking for full-length uploads as a must-have, but many an album have I been sold on VERY quickly, after spending less than 10 minutes skipping around 2-3 full-length tracks on YouTube.

16 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

I’ll be in the process of packing up a box or two of CD’s that I’m no longer interested to listen to. I have no idea of what to do with them. I’d love to donate them to someone or somewhere. Not sure what way to go.

If worse comes to worse, Goodwill or Salvation Army will take them, no questions asked. AND give you a donation receipt for tax purposes. They generally leave the itemization fields blank or near blank, so you get to determine the value of your donation. There's nothing easier, really. If you can't find a personally-preferable recipient, there you go. Musical thrifters and grifters across the globe will thank you for your service.

Some people are put off by Goodwill's current "corporate structure", and others by the fact that Salvation Army is a "church". Oh well, yeah, that's all true. But they still do some good work anyway AND they'll take your shit off your hands for you about as effortlessly as possible. Life is not perfect, right?

The day these outfits stop accepting donations such as this will be final proof that Earth just has too much shit for anybody to deal with.

3 minutes ago, JSngry said:

The day these outfits stop accepting donations such as this will be final proof that Earth just has too much shit for anybody to deal with.

Quite true.
There are moments when I have a feeling we are not THAT far away from that day, I am afraid. At least in some quarters and at some moments.

As for records/CDs, I've usually bought "blind" (except in those cases when I had managed to locate a specific item I had been looking for) and have not very often been disappointed.  Quite a lot have turned out to be "non-essential" but usually have a handful of nice/worthy tracks that make them good enough to keep (to round out the stylistic coverage) at the low secondhand prices I bought them at. Except that space eventually is a problem indeed. So my buying has slowed down too.
As for listening in before buying, one local secondhand shop has turntables for the customers to use (and when in doubt I make use of them, and this sometimes has helped avoid costly mistakes - such as Vi Redd's Bird Calls, where on listening I found I just cannot digest her singing to warrant paying a collectible price for that platter ;)), but back in the day when I bought new vinyl in stores (mid-70s to very early 2000s) listening facilities were already on their way out by the mid-70s. Only one shop still allowed you to hand a record over to the clerk who put it onto turntable and let you listen to a few tracks over a sort of telephone (with rather doubtful fidelity). Listening booths had been junked long before so the Perry Mason episode mentioned asbove would have been a tale from days long gone by here too.
As for reselling, tough indeed. Over time I do manage to shift my jazz duplicates (I take along my crate whenver I set up a fleamarket stall - 4 times this year, for example) but it takes time. You'd never guess what I have found to be the hardest artist to sell: Duke Ellington! I do wonder why ... Occasionally I've also had a stall at specific 50s vintage fleamarkets but things have not been radically different there. In fact my experience with response at general fleamarkets is the opposite to what others have said above. My stuff is "straight ahead" (mostly swing, some 50s cool and hard bop) but many, many punters in fact are more into fusion/jazz rock etc. (often my generation but weaned totally differently, obviously ;)). Once when the name of Miles came up in a chat at the stall and when I mentioned that my most "recent" Miles LP in my own collection is "Seven Steps to Haven" one punter actually told me "Now that is VERY old ..." :lol:
Records/CDs from other stylistic areas have come in handy as birthday presents but unfortunately I do not have many friends with jazz tastes to match ...

47 minutes ago, JSngry said:

If worse comes to worse, Goodwill or Salvation Army will take them, no questions asked. AND give you a donation receipt for tax purposes. They generally leave the itemization fields blank or near blank, so you get to determine the value of your donation. There's nothing easier, really. If you can't find a personally-preferable recipient, there you go. Musical thrifters and grifters across the globe will thank you for your service.

Some people are put off by Goodwill's current "corporate structure", and others by the fact that Salvation Army is a "church". Oh well, yeah, that's all true. But they still do some good work anyway AND they'll take your shit off your hands for you about as effortlessly as possible. Life is not perfect, right?

Thanks Jim. I’ll keep this in mind as I put work through my old ”unplayed for a very long time” CD’s 

With the new tax law, it's really just not worth trying declare any of your donations for tax purposes. They are not a 1 for 1 reduction in your gross. You would need to have a whole lot of other deductions for them to mean anything in the end.

And I would never donate anything to Goodwill. When they stop making their managers rich at the expense of the workers on their sales floors, I'll donate stuff to them. Donating to Goodwill is like dumping money into the pockets of the 1%.

12 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Thanks Jim. I’ll keep this in mind as I put work through my old ”unplayed for a very long time” CD’s 

Feel free to shoot me a list in private when you get around to figuring it out, or maybe posting here in the selling forum. I'd be interested to take a look.

18 minutes ago, bresna said:

With the new tax law, it's really just not worth trying declare any of your donations for tax purposes. They are not a 1 for 1 reduction in your gross. You would need to have a whole lot of other deductions for them to mean anything in the end.

And I would never donate anything to Goodwill. When they stop making their managers rich at the expense of the workers on their sales floors, I'll donate stuff to them. Donating to Goodwill is like dumping money into the pockets of the 1%.

We stopped having the need to itemize a few years ago. as jacked as the latest tax reforms are (and I'll start on that damn POS "form" before even looking at the numbers), that issue precedes them, at least for us. Still, if somebody wants a receipt for tax purposes, that's an option.

As for Goodwill, yeah, true enough. But still, if you want to get rid of your stuff someplace besides the trashcan, there they are. Your library won't take it, your universities won't take it, your kids won't take it, damn near nobody will take it. But Goodwill (and Salvation Army) will take it. Your choice is between your conscience and your trashcan (and all the environmental impact that follows from that).

Besides - the shit that most of us have is going to sit there a couple of days past forever. However their managers get "rich", it ain't gonna be by selling donated jazz records that even a jazz fan don't really want.

On 10/16/2019 at 1:25 PM, Steve Reynolds said:

I’ll be in the process of packing up a box or two of CD’s that I’m no longer interested to listen to. I have no idea of what to do with them. I’d love to donate them to someone or somewhere. Not sure what way to go.

I’ve recently started streaming on Tidal (for the high quality sound and seemingly large selection) so I’ll be only be buying non-streaming CD releases (labels like No Business, Relative Pitch and a few others - some or all Firehouse 12 or Pi recordings are not on Tidal) but I’ve always bought 95% plus of my CD’s unheard. 

I think most of Pi is on Bandcamp. Streaming and downloads.