Art Blakey - Centenary of His Birth

Brad

It'd be pretty difficult to overstate Blakey's impact, both on the music and me as a listener.  I just saw Ralph Peterson's Blakey tribute, with Bill Pierce, Brian Lynch, Robin Eubanks, Zaccai Curtis and Essiet Okon Essiet, last night in Blakey's hometown of Pittsburgh.  One could build quite a collection just by focusing on Blakey and his sidemen.  I'll spin some Blakey later and think of him.

Edited by Justin V

54 minutes ago, danasgoodstuff said:

I'd love to have a big wall-sized diagram (in the style of Pete Frame's Rock Trees) of all the Art Blakey & Horace Silver bands and interconnections between the various sideman, would take a pretty big wall I think!

The closest thing on the web is Michael Fitzgerald's chronology of the Messengers: https://jazzmf.com/art-blakey-chronology-and-the-jazz-messengers/

7 minutes ago, felser said:

My music collection has more CD's by Blakey/Messengers than by anyone else.  Got to see him live twice in the late 80's, but not before then.  

Same here, except I never saw him play. The first time I heard Moanin’, it blew my mind. Yeah, I know it’s a trite expression but I’d never heard anything like that before. 

6 hours ago, Brad said:

Same here, except I never saw him play. The first time I heard Moanin’, it blew my mind. Yeah, I know it’s a trite expression but I’d never heard anything like that before. 

"Noise in the Attic" was the first thing I ever heard by him, on WRTI, and I had the same reaction.