Playing Favorites: Reflections on Jazz in the 1970s

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Recap for the Last TWO Weeks - PLAYING FAVORITES: Reflections on Jazz in the 1970s 

Mike Westbrook Orchestra – Citadel/Room 315 (RCA/Novus/BGO, 1975)
Clifford Jordan – Night of the Mark VII aka The Highest Mountain (Muse/32 Jazz/Savoy, 1975)
John Abercrombie, Dave Holland, Jack DeJohnette – Gateway (ECM, 1975)
Jimmy Giuffre – River Chant aka The Train & the River (Choice/Candid, 1975)
John Hicks – Hells Bells (Strata-East/Charly/Pure Pleasure, 1980)
Barry Harris – Plays Tadd Dameron (Xanadu/Elemental, 1975)
Dizzy Gillespie y Machito – Afro-Cuban Jazz Moods (Pablo, 1976)

Dave Brubeck & Paul Desmond – 1975: Duets (A&M Horizon/Verve, 1975)
Von Freeman – Have No Fear (Nessa, 1975) and Serenade & Blues (Nessa, 1979)
Mark Murphy – Mark Murphy Sings (Muse, 1975)
Al Cohn – Play It Now (Xanadu, 1975)
Jim Hall – Live! (A&M Horizon/Verve, 1975)
Enrico Rava – The Pilgrim and the Stars (ECM, 1975)
Stone Alliance – Stone Alliance (PM, 1976)

1975 was a magnificent year for jazz, IMO. 

Only one other year in my survey is represented with more selections.  

The two that particularly stand out for me are the Barry Harris and the Al Cohn sessions both on Xanadu.

18 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

The two that particularly stand out for me are the Barry Harris and the Al Cohn sessions both on Xanadu.

Yeah, Don Schlitten was doing outstanding work back then.  And not only with Xanadu.  Between the sessions that he produced for Cobblestone, Muse, MPS, and Xanadu, his productions crop up again and again on my survey.

Certainly, Schlitten is one of the most important jazz producers of the 1970s -- right up there with names like Nessa, Eicher, Cuscuna, Keepnews, Michel, Porter, Winckelmann & Weber, et al. 

Weekly Recap - PLAYING FAVORITES: Reflections on Jazz in the 1970s 

Hannibal & the Sunrise Orchestra – Hannibal (MPS, 1975)    

Chico Hamilton – Peregrinations (Blue Note, 1975) 

Hilton Ruiz Trio – Piano Man (SteepleChase/Inner City, 1975)

Andrew Hill – Live at Montreux (Freedom/Arista-Freedom, 1975)

Harry "Sweets" Edison – Just Friends (Black & Blue, 1976)

Buster Williams – Pinnacle (Muse/32 Jazz, 1975)

Eberhard Weber – Yellow Fields (ECM, 1976)

I said it last week, and I'll say it again: 1975 was an amazing year for jazz.

That Hannibal album is an all-time favorite, and the Hill is a gem.   Saw him in a solo concert at the Walnut Street Theatre ca. 1977 and like 20 people attended.  Very disheartening , though he played beautifully.

Hutch Fan, there seems to be a bit of confusion about the Harry Edison album.

I have a cd on Blac & Blue by Harry "Sweets" Edison / Eddie :Lockjaw Davis titled - "Sweets and Jaws. It is dated February 14, 1977

I checked LORD and found no Harry Edison recordings from 1976 on the Black & Blue label.

LORD does show  2 recordings from FEb.14, 1977

Peter,

Here's the discogs entry for Sweets' Just Friends LP on Black & Blue: https://www.discogs.com/Harry-Sweets-Edison-Just-Friends/release/3475684

Per that entry on discogs and allmusic.com, the music was recorded on July 26, 1975 in Nice.  In this particular case, I don't have the music on LP or CD -- just a download -- so no liner notes.  I was just relying on what I could find on the web. 

Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if the info on both sites is wrong.  But neither would I be shocked if it's correct.  

Regardless of the recording date, the music is stinkin' fantastic.  :g

EDIT: 
Check out the discogs entry: https://www.discogs.com/Harry-Edison-Just-Friends/release/14441765   It's the CD release of Edison's Just Friends.  But unlike the URL above (for the LP), the CD page states that the recording was made on February 14, 1977 in Paris.

R-14441765-1574602076-5563.jpeg.jpg

Nice or Paris.  1975 or 1977.   I dunno!

Either way, Sweets made the record during the 70s, so it still makes the cut for inclusion in my survey. ;) 

Edited by HutchFan

I can't quibble with your Hill selection, but would like to know if was in any way a close call. The Steeplechase & East Wind sides are very strong, imo. For that matter, hearing Lee Konitz and Hill (and/or Robin Kenyatta with hill) together on Spiral always gives me a tickle!

I think Hill’s 1975 solo-piano Hommage for EastWind is just divine. Granted, Hill’s solo-piano work hits an entirely different spot in my brain, than almost everything he’s done with his trios and larger size combos, etc.

But even Hommage hits me a little bit differently than all his other solo-piano stuff. Like maybe it feels a little more ‘of a piece’ - almost like an extended work, actually.

And now that I’m thinking OF it (but admittedly not having heard it in ages), Hommage ‘feels’ a little like some of Charles Ives’ more subdued solo-piano works. Granted, the language is different, but (my memory of) that ‘feeling’ is going to the same place in my brain as I’m typing this.

A really special album, and one I got Andrew to autograph for me the one and only time I got to hear Andrew perform up in Iowa City of all places, in 2003. (I was celery smitten with Hommage back then as well.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

15 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Peter,

Here's the discogs entry for Sweets' Just Friends LP on Black & Blue: https://www.discogs.com/Harry-Sweets-Edison-Just-Friends/release/3475684

Per that entry on discogs and allmusic.com, the music was recorded on July 26, 1975 in Nice.  In this particular case, I don't have the music on LP or CD -- just a download -- so no liner notes.  I was just relying on what I could find on the web. 

Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if the info on both sites is wrong.  But neither would I be shocked if it's correct.  

Regardless of the recording date, the music is stinkin' fantastic.  :g

EDIT: 
Check out the discogs entry: https://www.discogs.com/Harry-Edison-Just-Friends/release/14441765   It's the CD release of Edison's Just Friends.  But unlike the URL above (for the LP), the CD page states that the recording was made on February 14, 1977 in Paris.

R-14441765-1574602076-5563.jpeg.jpg

Nice or Paris.  1975 or 1977.   I dunno!

Either way, Sweets made the record during the 70s, so it still makes the cut for inclusion in my survey. ;) 

The cover on my CD is below. Musically it does not matter, but some of the discographical confusion needs to probably be clarified.

iu.jpeg

8 hours ago, JSngry said:

I can't quibble with your Hill selection, but would like to know if was in any way a close call. The Steeplechase & East Wind sides are very strong, imo. For that matter, hearing Lee Konitz and Hill (and/or Robin Kenyatta with hill) together on Spiral always gives me a tickle!

Yes!!!  Went round and round with this selection. For a long time, my choice was Nefertiti. GREAT record. But, in the end, I went with my gut, with the 70s Hill record that I play most frequently, which is the Montreux solo LP.  ... Even said as much in the brief blog entry. 

7 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I think Hill’s 1975 solo-piano Hommage for EastWind is just divine. Granted, Hill’s solo-piano work hits an entirely different spot in my brain, than almost everything he’s done with his trios and larger size combos, etc.

But even Hommage hits me a little bit differently than all his other solo-piano stuff. Like maybe it feels a little more ‘of a piece’ - almost like an extended work, actually.

And now that I’m thinking OF it (but admittedly not having heard it in ages), Hommage ‘feels’ a little like some of Charles Ives’ more subdued solo-piano works. Granted, the language is different, but (my memory of) that ‘feeling’ is going to the same place in my brain as I’m typing this.

A really special album, and one I got Andrew to autograph for me the one and only time I got to hear Andrew perform up in Iowa City of all places, in 2003. (I was celery smitten with Hommage back then as well.)

I need to listen to this one more closely.  I've heard it, but I don't know it.

6 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

The cover on my CD is below. Musically it does not matter, but some of the discographical confusion needs to probably be clarified.

iu.jpeg

Lord is probably right... especially since the more recent CD releases say Paris and 1977

... So let's go with that. 👍

6 hours ago, JSngry said:

I think that "Black & Blue" is French for "discographical clarity is for other people".

No doubt! 😁

It's Tuesday, so ... 

George Cables – Why Not (Whynot, 1975)

Muhal Richard Abrams & Malachi Favors – Sightsong (Black Saint, 1976)

Paul Desmond Quartet – Live (A&M Horizon/Verve, 1975) and Paul Desmond (Artists House, 1978)

John Handy & Ali Akbar Khan – Karuna Supreme (MPS, 1976)

Stan Tracey Quartet – The Return of Captain Adventure (TentoTen, 2006)

Ralph Sutton – Live! aka Ralph Sutton (Flyright, 1978)

Jan Garbarek & Bobo Stenson – Dansere (ECM, 1976)

This week, I've included brief write-ups for every survey post.  Nothing extensive, just a few thoughts.  But I hope that something is better than nothing.   ;) 

Also, I've now passed the half-way mark for the year.  189 entries posted.  177 to go.  

5 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Will you ever be able to go back and put in thoughts about prior entries? (I think this is the first week of entries I don't know anything about and/or have no great interest in).

I don't know, Dan.  I would love to do that, but it would take quite a bit of time. ... I'm taking PTO this week -- but staying at home -- so it's no coincidence that I was able to dedicate a couple hours to writing today. 

Are there any entries in particular that you were wondering about?  Maybe we could discuss them here.  :P

5 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

In the relatively small body of jazz/Indian classical fusion recordings, Karuna Supreme is the best one that I have heard.

Yep, I agree! ... IIRC, I have one more that's similar coming up later in my survey.  :) 

'Sightsong' is one of my favorite Abrams albums, along with 'Young at Heart/Wise in Time' (for the solo side, my favorite solo piano ever) and 'Spiral: Live at Montreux' (which desperately needs CD issue).

18 hours ago, HutchFan said:

It's Tuesday, so ... 

George Cables – Why Not (Whynot, 1975)

Muhal Richard Abrams & Malachi Favors – Sightsong (Black Saint, 1976)

Paul Desmond Quartet – Live (A&M Horizon/Verve, 1975) and Paul Desmond (Artists House, 1978)

John Handy & Ali Akbar Khan – Karuna Supreme (MPS, 1976)

Stan Tracey Quartet – The Return of Captain Adventure (TentoTen, 2006)

Ralph Sutton – Live! aka Ralph Sutton (Flyright, 1978)

Jan Garbarek & Bobo Stenson – Dansere (ECM, 1976)

This week, I've included brief write-ups for every survey post.  Nothing extensive, just a few thoughts.  But I hope that something is better than nothing.   ;) 

Also, I've now passed the half-way mark for the year.  189 entries posted.  177 to go.  

The Paul Desmond sessions would be my favorites from this list.

This was George Cable's first recording as a leader. It is good, but I prefer many of his later ones.

Not familiar with the Ralph Sutton on Flyright. His 1979 recording with Ruby Braff titled "R & R" on Chiaroscuro is one from the 70's I like very much.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I didn't post anything on Tuesday, here's a "off-cycle" update.  

Recap - PLAYING FAVORITES: Reflections on Jazz in the 1970s 

Sonny Fortune – Waves of Dreams (A&M Horizon, 1976)
Bob Degen – Sequoia Song (Enja, 1976)
Warne Marsh – All Music (Nessa, 1976)
Abdullah Ibrahim – Banyana (Enja, 1976)
Charlie Haden & Hampton Hawes – As Long as There's Music (Artists House, 1978)

Ray Bryant – Here's Ray Bryant (Pablo, 1976)
Pat Metheny – Bright Size Life (ECM, 1976)
Cedar Walton – Eastern Rebellion (Timeless, 1976)
Horace Parlan Trio – No Blues (SteepleChase, 1976)
Warne Marsh & Lee Konitz Quintet – Live at the Montmartre Club: Jazz Exchange, Vols. 1 & 3 (Storyville, 1976)
Woody Shaw – Love Dance (Muse, 1976)
Dave Liebman & Richie Beirach – Forgotten Fantasies (A&M Horizon, 1976) 

I tried to write at least a sentence or two about each of these on the blog.

As always, I welcome your thoughts and reactions.