Beatles Singles on Vinyl

Brad

The Beatles today announced the following box set:

“LIMITED EDITION COLLECTION OF NEWLY REMASTERED SEVEN-INCH VINYL SINGLES

We are proud to announce the release of this collectible box set presenting 46 tracks on 23 7-inch vinyl singles, in faithfully reproduced international picture sleeves, accompanied by a 40-page booklet with photos, ephemera, and detailed essays by Beatles historian Kevin Howlett. 

These singles, plus an exclusive new double A-side single for the mid-1990s-issued tracks “Free As A Bird” and “Real Love,” are newly remastered from their original multi-track master tapes and cut for vinyl at Abbey Road Studios for a new limited edition boxed set.”

The cover art used is how they were issued in various countries.

Price is $230. Amazon has it for $200  

See Beatles Singles Collection

I can’t see myself buying this. I have the mono box from a few years ago and that box was more than satisfactory. 

Edited by Brad

I'm a huge fan of The Beatles, but there comes a point when the endless stream of reissues becomes usurious.  Like Jim, the mono box will be the last Beatles music I'll ever want or need.  Save your money for the second installment of Mark Lewisohn's Beatles biography which, hopefully, will be out sometime next year.  

1 hour ago, porcy62 said:

Do we need the landslide of vinyl reissues, BN, Beatles etc..? NO, not us, the music market does.

How do you define the music market? The record companies or buyers. If the latter, I find it hard to believe that these songs haven’t been heard before. 

1 hour ago, Brad said:

How do you define the music market? The record companies or buyers. If the latter, I find it hard to believe that these songs haven’t been heard before. 

Well, you do know, I guess, how many "BN-umpteenth-sonic-upgrade-cost-what-may" geeks there are out there, for example.  I have little reason to believe that "must have it all, really all, no matter in how many guises" fanatism is much less pronounced in other areas of popular music that have a substantial fan base. ;)

16 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Well, you do know, I guess, how many "BN-umpteenth-sonic-upgrade-cost-what-may" geeks there are out there, for example.  I have little reason to believe that "must have it all, really all, no matter in how many guises" fanatism is much less pronounced in other areas of popular music that have a substantial fan base. ;)

:tup

3 hours ago, Brad said:

I mean the music business: whatever makes some profit goes. Just an observation, no judgement.

52 minutes ago, porcy62 said:

I mean the music business: whatever makes some profit goes. Just an observation, no judgement.

You’re right. I just wasn’t sure what you meant. Anyway they can find to repackage the same asset in different ways they will do. With that being said, I thought the Mono Box was a great release. Naively, I thought that would be it!

9 minutes ago, Brad said:

You’re right. I just wasn’t sure what you meant. Anyway they can find to repackage the same asset in different ways they will do. With that being said, I thought the Mono Box was a great release. Naively, I thought that would be it!

I kept my Beatles mono pressings and sold the stereo's, White Album including.

7 minutes ago, porcy62 said:

I kept my Beatles mono pressings and sold the stereo's, White Album including.

Same here. That was such a great box. I just don’t see how it could be improved upon. I purchased the White Album remix and it’s fine and all that but didn’t/don’t see the need to buy Abbey Road. 

Basically I don't get the point of remixing an album, I mean nobody dare to "remix" Joseph Conrad's novels. It is not like getting a better sound like a remastering, it's not like a new rendition or performance or translation. If we agree that George Martin was the fifth Beatles, a remix seems like replace Ringo's drums with his son's ones. Pointless IMO.

12 hours ago, Dave James said:

Speaking of endless reissues, does anyone have any idea how the remaining Beatles or their estates are compensated for a release like this?  

Considering how the European music copyright laws were revised as of 2012 just to make sure the P.D. cutoff date was extended from 50 to 70 years for anything first released post-mid-1962 (following severe lobbying by interested parties, to the extent of the new copyright law becoming known as the "Paul McCartney law" over here), I'd say the compensation angle is taken care of ... ^_^