My Favorite Jazz Albums of 2019 (so far)

Robert Middleton

31 minutes ago, Robert Middleton said:

Yeah, this looks like a good one! Garzone is great but only have a few of his albums. Plus Erskine and Pasquale. And three discs!

Is this private eye jazz or noir-esque?

56 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

"Exotica is not dead, it just smells bad." Cotton Underwood.

I disagree.  Exotica is every bit as dead as jazz is, in terms of its contemporary cultural relevance.

What jazz and exotica share in common is that the only cultural relevance they have in the new millennium is when they are sampled in electronica and hip hop. 

Art forms have lifespans, just like artists.  

Edited by Teasing the Korean

3 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

What jazz and exotica share in common is that the only cultural relevance they have in the new millennium is when they are sampled in electronica and hip hop. 

Art forms have lifespans, just like artists.  

TtK, it seems like you're intent on denigrating music that many of us care about deeply. Robert started a thread about new jazz.  If you don't care for new jazz, that's fine.  No one is going to argue that you SHOULD like it.  On the other hand, you not-so-subtly remind us again and again that jazz is somehow "not relevant" culturally -- and the implication is that we SHOULD NOT like it.

O.K. We get it. Jazz today doesn't have the cultural sway that it once did.  Big deal. I don't listen to music as a culture.  I listen to it as an individual.  And, as an individual, the music means a great deal to me.  And, since this board is dedicated to jazz, not surprisingly, it means a lot to MANY of the readers here.

So what gives?  What are you trying to prove?

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

TtK, it seems like you're intent on denigrating music that many of us care about deeply. Robert started a thread about new jazz.  If you don't care for new jazz, that's fine.  No one is going to argue that you SHOULD like it.  On the other hand, you not-so-subtly remind us again and again that jazz is somehow "not relevant" culturally -- and the implication is that we SHOULD NOT like it.

O.K. We get it. Jazz today doesn't have the cultural sway that it once did.  Big deal. I don't listen to music as a culture.  I listen to it as an individual.  And, as an individual, the music means a great deal to me.  And, since this board is dedicated to jazz, not surprisingly, it means a lot to MANY of the readers here.

So what gives?  What are you trying to prove?

It is helpful to read in context.

I wrote what I did in response to an outrageous claim by our friend KH1958 or whatever that exotica is not dead.  Exotica is dead.  :tup

As for "denigrating music that many of us care about deeply," I have money taken out of my paycheck each week for a non-profit jazz education program.  I have been doing so for years and years.  This is money that I could be using to buy second-hand copies of albums by contemporary jazz artists and depriving them of making money off of the sales.  I wonder how many on this board do the same. :tup

And no one bothered to answer my question as to whether or not that album pictured above has private-eye jazz or noir content.  Do you happen to know? :tup

27 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

Seriously??? - back at ya.

Now you're not answering.

BTW, thanks for the grammar lesson.

My pleasure! :tup  And my question was clearly meant in jest. 

Now, can anyone tell me if the album pictured above has any private-eye jazz or noir content? 

Just now, Teasing the Korean said:

I don't like it.

I LOVE IT!

And I have all three - both volumes from the TV show, and the Gunn theatrical film!  

That we can agree on.

I don't think you're getting an answer about the private-eye or noir content of the 3 CD set discussed in the thread because no one knows. Maybe you should listen to it & tell us.

24 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

That we can agree on.

I don't think you're getting an answer about the private-eye or noir content of the 3 CD set discussed in the thread because no one knows. Maybe you should listen to it & tell us.

If I illegally listen to it on YouTube, I might get yelled at by Chuck Nessa!  :lol:

3 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

My pleasure! :tup  And my question was clearly meant in jest. 

Now, can anyone tell me if the album pictured above has any private-eye jazz or noir content? 

I remember an earlier Mike Hammer tv series starring Darren McGaven that used Harlem Nocturne as as a theme.  

Moving back to focusing on the culturally irrelevant, I forgot to mention  another favorite of the year, the excellent new CD by Charnett Moffett, Bright New Day.

Come to think of it, just about all the music I've been interested in since the Beatles broke up has been culturally irrelevant.

On 10/18/2019 at 11:14 PM, kh1958 said:

I would include as favorite newly recorded 2019 jazz releases:

John Chin, Fifth

Yes, John Chin!  Chin is one of my favorite discoveries of the past seveal years.  I ordered Fifth from Chin's Bandcamp this year and the download features bonus tracks not on the CD.  I heartily recommend his Undercover and Blackout Conception as well.  I'd be genuinely shocked if Robmid and fans of modern piano didn't like Chin.

Angel Bat Dawid - the Oracle (International Anthem)

Damon Locks Black Monument Ensemble - Where Future Unfolds (International Anthem)

Jaimie Branch - Fly Or Die II (International Anthem)

Olie Brice Somersaults Trio - Numerology of Birdsong (Westhill Records)

Nerija - Blume (Domino)

And I fully expect to add Matana Roberts' Coin Coin 4 when it arrives next week

Correction on my previous post. I had forgotten the Braxton.

Quartet (New Haven) 2014 by Anthony Braxton (Firehouse 12 Records)

The People I Love by Steve Lehman Trio + Craig Taborn (Pi Records)

Chiasm by Evan Parker & Kinetics (Clean Feed)

Combobulated by Tom Rainey Trio with Mary Halvorson and Ingrid Laubrock (Intakt)