GA Russell

Computer Gurus: Computer Basics

31 posts in this topic

Uh, no they're not. I learned music starting with the very basics. I've learned history by looking deeper than last week's headlines. It's a good thing to do, getting a solid grasp of the basics. A failure to do so leaves you in the position of always being a reactive consumer.

As far as computers, I know plenty of people who can type, copy/paste, do a little bit of this and a little bit of that, but don't know shit about computing of software. Tell them to go to a command prompt and they'd not know what the hell you're talking about. Tell the to look at their cookies and they'll go to the pantry. Etc. etc. etc.

When somebody says they don't know the lingo, hey.And he's frequently on here asking for advice on how to solve some seemingly "basic" problems. And he's been working on older, basic equipment. This screams to me of a guy who has a computer and only knows how to do a few basic tasks with it and want to know more. Well, ok, learn the basics, learn how this shit is put together, learn the basics, and then be confident with your machine instead of being bound by it.

If there's a dumbass to be had, it's the person who doesn't take the steps to gain the knowledge. And if you don't know the basics, you'll never be able to get there except in bits and pieces, which is not really knowledge as much as it is knowing how to be better at being lucky.

Also...we got people around here talking about "do we REALLY need libraries today, since everything's on the Internet now?" Seriously, people are starting to think that.

Independent study is always groovy, but if you don't know what you don't know, you can end up still not knowing what you don't know, only more of it.

My biggest worry though, is the ongoing stigmatization of learning in a social context, private schools vs public, internet vs classroom or library, the whole idea of going it alone as much as possible on everything. I think learning is both a private and a communal activity. It worries me a bit when people default to "I'll look it up". Well, yes, if you know what you're looking for and what to do with it once you find it. But if you don't know a lot of general things, odds are good, there's plenty of other people who also don't know it, so get together and learn together. Meet people, ya' know? THEN be alone! :g

48 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Uh, no they're not.

I meant courses in the very basics of using a PC. As was obvious. Unless you're a dumbass as well?

People who still know shit after 25 years behind a keyboard will never learn. And when they are family, oh shit! ... 

I am a dumbass. I would have thought that would have been apparent long before now.

Having said that, although the machines are now exponentially easier to use, that has not corresponded to there being less to know to understand them. PCs are becoming very Mac-like, you know, "it just works, that's all I know".

Well good. If it just works, there should be no questions. And yet there are!

Besides, people occasionally need to get their ass out of the house for doing something besides being alone in a crowd.

I am Sir Nose'd
D'Voidofcomputerskills
I have always been
Devoid of computer skills
I shall continue to be
Devoid of computer skills
Starchild
You have only won a battle
I am the subliminal aid seeker
I will never show initiative
I shall return, Starchild

51NFGZBKBYL._QL70_.jpg