Rusty Bryant

Larry Kart

Soulstation1 beat me to the punch.  Rusty Bryant Returns is one of my favorite soul-jazz albums, with some essential Grant Green and stellar work by the other, lesser-known sidemen.  I was only hipped to it from a local club playing it between sets one night.  Coincidentally, I bought it after seeing Grant Green' s son play the same club.

Edited by Justin V

I found this one in the past year or so, seems like it was fairly obscure at the time (didn't know Phoenix Records put out original legit releases) but it did get reissued by Highnote in the early 2000s.  No organ no boogaloos more straightahead and really quite nice.

bryant returns.JPG

Columbus is the state capitol and all that, but when I started visiting that part of Ohio, I would never have thought to look for somebody like Rusty Bryant up there...Rusty in the Rust Belt, ha, how 'bout that? Not in Orchestraville.

Kudos to Bob Porter for his advocacy of Rusty Bryant.

Bryant did some sideman dates as he "returned" as well as leader dates. Not all of them will appeal to those who don't like indigenous club musics from the period, but apart from that, hey, Rusty Bryant never played less than excellently, regardless of context. And in that context, he played better than most. You either seing or you don't. As they say, it's a poor tradesman that blames his tools.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Columbus is the state capitol and all that, but when I started visiting that part of Ohio, I would never have thought to look for somebody like Rusty Bryant up there...Rusty in the Rust Belt, ha, how 'bout that? Not in Orchestraville.

Kudos to Bob Porter for his advocacy of Rusty Bryant.

Eddie Brookshire, the bassist on Bryant's Friday Night Funk for Saturday Night Brothers, still occasionally ventures to Cleveland to play gigs, but I haven't seen him yet.  On a related note, I am about to see a gig with Jim Rupp, of Hank Marr fame, on drums.