Early ECM albums

ghost of miles

Hey all, I'm finally getting around to doing a long-contemplated Night Lights show about the first several years of the ECM label.  Obvious candidates for inclusion are Mal Waldron's Free At Last and Marion Brown's Afternoon Of A Georgia Faun, Jarrett's Facing You, Circle's Paris Concert, Dave Holland's Conference of the Birds, etc., but what are some of your favorites from the 1969-1973 era? (I think 1973 is as late as I'm going to go, which still leaves me with a ton of material to choose from.  Here's an overall list of ECM releases:

List of ECM Records albums

Edited by ghost of miles

Corea's Piano Improvisations.

Bley's Open, To Love.

Robin Kenyatta's Girl From Martinique.

Stanley Cowell's Illusion Suite.

Motian's Conception Vessel.

Bennie Maupin's Jewel In The Lotus (1974, but still....)

Garbarek - Afric Pepperbird and Sart.

Garbarek/Stinson - Witchi-Tai-To.

Burton/Corea - Crystal Silence

Those are all records I can listen to now with every bit the satisfaction I did then, and sometimes with more.

21 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Corea's Piano Improvisations.

Bley's Open, To Love.

Robin Kenyatta's Girl From Martinique.

Stanley Cowell's Illusion Suite.

Motian's Conception Vessel.

Bennie Maupin's Jewel In The Lotus (1974, but still....)

Garbarek - Afric Pepperbird and Sart.

Garbarek/Stinson - Witchi-Tai-To.

Burton/Corea - Crystal Silence

Those are all records I can listen to now with every bit the satisfaction I did then, and sometimes with more.

That is a great list, Jim—thanks so much. (And I may well round the show off at 1974... just so much good music to choose from.) I have the Maupin, the Motian and the Corea/Burton, but none of the others.

Yeah, those are some good records.

Objectively, Colors Of Chloe should be added to the list. But that's one that has not worn as well for me as the others. In it's time, though, pretty striking, and I know it still has its advocates.

Those albums with Jan Garbarek are pretty badass, actually. "Icy fire", of course, but the fire is pretty damn hot. The ice doesn't melt, but don't let that fool you into thinking it's not because the fire ain't hot. It's damn hot. I think it basically comes down to a perfect balance of elements, individually and collectively.

The Corea solo albums are worth a show unto themselves, actually. This is Chick transitioning, and along the way, everything gets covered. Everything.

13 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Yeah, not even close.

A third vote for that one, and second votes for the  Corea Piano Improvisations, Cowell, Liebman, Corea/Burton, and Witch-Tai-To.

5 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Julian Priester Pepo Mtoto ‘Love, Love’

Great album, but (just) post 1973 cutoff.  I also like Priester's "Polarization", but "Love, Love" is magnificent.

38 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Julian Priester Pepo Mtoto ‘Love, Love’

Fantastic album! - one of the very best of any label in that entire half-decade. An absolute stunner.

The Stanley Cowell is pretty phenomenal too, and I don’t even regret the Japanese import price I paid for mine to get it on CD.

For your show to be truly representational, not only of ECM through 1973 but also the seeds of what it became, you should include some Ralph Towner (Trios / Solos works), Gary Burton (The New Quartet is a monster, though a lot harder-edged than his work just a few years later), and Keith Jarrett's Solo Concerts (since Keith is to ECM as Jimmy Smith was to Blue Note - the earnings that powered the company).  Maybe also a Jan Garbarek, since he's on sooooooo many ECM releases.

6 minutes ago, mjzee said:

For your show to be truly representational, not only of ECM through 1973 but also the seeds of what it became, you should include some Ralph Towner (Trios / Solos works), Gary Burton (The New Quartet is a monster, though a lot harder-edged than his work just a few years later), and Keith Jarrett's Solo Concerts (since Keith is to ECM as Jimmy Smith was to Blue Note - the earnings that powered the company).  Maybe also a Jan Garbarek, since he's on sooooooo many ECM releases.

I have Burton's New Quartet album, the Towner/Burton Matchbook collaboration, and a later Towner; can probably track down a number of the sides recommended in this thread that are currently neither in my or the station library's possession.  But I agree that material that represents the seeds of what ECM became is worthy of inclusion.

2 minutes ago, JSngry said:

There's a show to be had dealing just with Mwandishi-band side projects.

Yes indeedy!  That's a great idea... if I do it, you shall receive a full and loud credit, sir! Actually working on the 2020 schedule right now... that would be a good fit and light a fire under my butt to finally crack open Bob Gluck's book about that band.

Edited by ghost of miles

2 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Fortunately I've already got this one, though haven't listened to it in a long time.  Thanks for your and Jim's advice... how is the preceding V. 1 of Blue Note material?

The BNs came after the Capricorns. They're good in points, but somewhat diluted overall.

8 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Fortunately I've already got this one, though haven't listened to it in a long time.  Thanks for your and Jim's advice... how is the preceding V. 1 of Blue Note material?

Very nice - was spinning it just the other day. The Antholgy captures the pick of those Blue Note tracks - a bit more ‘disco’ in parts than the Capricorns. Their Bartz Anthology is good too.

Back to ECM...

Edited by sidewinder