Early ECM albums

ghost of miles

10 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

This one - put out by Soul Brother in the UK.

cover_17281114112009.jpg

Just purchased a reasonably-priced copy off Discogs.  Glad that I already have volume 2, which does indeed seem to command high prices these days.  Jim's suggestion has really ignited my interest in doing such a show, and in finally getting around to reading the Gluck book.  (I'm so behind in my reading, partly because I, like many others here, I'm sure, tend to acquire interesting books, not to mention CDs, at a rate far faster than I can read or listen to.)

33 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Fortunately I've already got this one, though haven't listened to it in a long time.  Thanks for your and Jim's advice... how is the preceding V. 1 of Blue Note material?

I don't have it, have a couple of the Blue Notes. "Sunburst" and "Heritage", which are quite good, but are less radical and more of their time.  The Capitol albums (also sampled on V.1, I believe) are more commercial and less compelling from memory.

18 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Just purchased a reasonably-priced copy off Discogs.  Glad that I already have volume 2, which does indeed seem to command high prices these days.  Jim's suggestion has really ignited my interest in doing such a show, and in finally getting around to reading the Gluck book.  (I'm so behind in my reading, partly because I, like many others here, I'm sure, tend to acquire interesting books, not to mention CDs, at a rate far faster than I can read or listen to.)

Bought my vinyl copies of the Henderson Vol 1 and Bartz 2LPs from the artists when Soul Brother toured them round the UK playing this stuff years ago. Signed by the artists in both cases. Eddie brought along his bank of wah-wahs !

I have the Gluck book too and its also on my reading list.

Anyway, back to ECM..... :g

Edited by sidewinder

If you're going to look at Eddie Henderson from the 70s, you gotta get those Capricorn sides. I was lucky enough to buy the LPs back in the day (think I heard one of them playing loud in a record store and Patrick Gleeson did one of those....things. That did it, bought that record right there.). After that, the watering down got going and didn't stop.

Really, play that shit loud. Play it loud. Play it very loud.

On 10/27/2019 at 7:55 PM, mikeweil said:

Stanley Cowell's Illusion Suite and Bennie Maupin's The Jewel In The Lotus may be my all time favourite ECM albums. 

Yeah, those would both be on my desert-island ECM list also. 

On 10/25/2019 at 7:25 PM, BFrank said:

100% - and still a great album. Vintage Joe Farrell, too!

No doubt. Hooray for Joe!

19720715-26.jpg?w=768&h=555

Edited by HutchFan

On 10/30/2019 at 8:25 AM, Д.Д. said:

Not too many good things, but still better than what he's doing right now. 

This one is good, though:

R-13990435-1565610418-3671.jpeg.jpg

Just listened to this via Tidal. Not sure I can imagine what this would have been like to have heard this with 1972 ears. Even today it is thoroughly radical and extreme. I’m just now (over the past 5-7 years maybe) opening up my ears to be able to listen to Derek Bailey. This one was an incredibly exciting listen for me yesterday. Too bad the ECM of the past 25 years has little or no interest in this rough esthetic. I know there are many sources for small form yet aggressive yet restrained improvisation but it would be nice if today’s ECM had a bit more bite & bark.

3 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Just listened to this via Tidal. Not sure I can imagine what this would have been like to have heard this with 1972 ears. Even today it is thoroughly radical and extreme. I’m just now (over the past 5-7 years maybe) opening up my ears to be able to listen to Derek Bailey. This one was an incredibly exciting listen for me yesterday. Too bad the ECM of the past 25 years has little or no interest in this rough esthetic. I know there are many sources for small form yet aggressive yet restrained improvisation but it would be nice if today’s ECM had a bit more bite & bark.

You should try to hear the other Music Improvisation Company album too. Then there is the Bailey\Holland album on ECM which is certainly noteworthy and early enough enough to be mentioned in this thread if it hasn't already been.

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

You should try to hear the other Music Improvisation Company album too. Then there is the Bailey\Holland album on ECM which is certainly noteworthy and early enough enough to be mentioned in this thread if it hasn't already been.

I’ll cue up the Bailey/Holland album soon. I’ll look for the other Music Improvisation Company album. When I’m in the right listening mode, the early 1st generation improvisation recordings hit multiple buttons for me. 

• 1 month later...