Chet in Chicago (Enja)

Larry Kart

On 10/25/2019 at 4:20 PM, Larry Kart said:

Spur of the moment 1986 studio date with pianist Bradley Young, bassist  Larry Gray, drummer Rusty Jones, and tenorman Ed Peterson (on three tracks). Topnotch latter-day Chet (you may not believe this free-wheeling "Funny Valentine"), captured in excellent sound. 54 minutes plus.

41ZsSGXnrdL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

I played this on the weekday afternoon show several times after it came out and recall liking it a great deal. I’ve long wanted to do a Night Lights program about Chet’s later-period recordings; prompted by both his upcoming 90th birth anniversary and several of Larry’s recent posts here, I’m going ahead and penciling it in for December. In terms of 1980s sides (which will most likely define the parameters of the show), I have Blues For A Reason, The Last Great Concert V. 1 and 2, the Let’s Get Lost soundtrack, and the Chet In Chicago date that Larry discusses above. What other Baker albums from the 1980s would Larry and other posters here recommend that I delve into for a Baker Night Lights show?

Just looked through my collection and found quite a number of interesting Chet Baker recordings from the 1980's.

Chet Baker & Paul Bley - Steeplechase

Chet Baker Trio - Mr. B - Timeless

Chet Baker - As time Goes By - Timelss

Chet Baker - Cool cats - Timeless

Chet Baker - At Capolinea - Red

Chet Baker - meets Space Jazz Trio - Philology

Chet Baker - In Tokyo - Evidence

Chet Baker - Live In Sweden - Dragon

Chet Baker - The Improvisor - CJR

Chet Baker -  (in France) - Carlyne

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to Larry Kart for bringing up evaluation of late Chet and merits of Munich folks of Enja records digging up those pearls.

But: Though "In Chicago" is a nice, diverse set highlighting a seldom heard  "We ll meet again" this album surely does not belong to  his best recordings of the eightis.

Consider: "From the Moonlight" "Live in Tokyo", "Sesjun Radio Shows", "Diane" and of course "Last Great Concert"- all playing in a different, higher league. 

I recently "discovered" this new-to-me Chet Baker album on YouTube:

Tracklist: A1 Gershwin Goes to Rio 0:00 A2 Leaving 6:26 A3 You've Flipped Out 16:04 B1 Tempus Fugit 20:25 B2 Blues pour C. R. 25:23 B3 Prayer for the Newborn 31:26 B4 When I Fall in Love 34:59

Credits: Chet Baker - trumpet, vocals  Nicola Stilo - alto flute  Dennis Luxion - piano  Riccardo Del Fra - bass

Wasn´t there a quite obscure album titled "Last Recordings as a quartet" , from About 1988 at Rosenheim, Germany ? 

And it had a strange titled tune on it "Funk in Deep Freeze", whatever that means….

But it must also have had Nico Stilo , Dennis Luxion, Richardo DelFra on it, I think they were among Chet´s favourite Players in the last years. 

If Chet appeared at all and concerts were not chancelled, I always heard him in top form. 

As late as late in 1987 I saw him live at "Fritz´s " and even if he looked like a homeless, he played like a Young God…… fantastic, and that´s my last memory of Chet Baker. 

One gem of the eighties I forgot to mention earlier:

Chet Baker Live in Sweden with Ake Johansson trio (Dragon, 1983) If you´re looking for the definitve haunting ballad then stop searching. You´ll find it here.
 Listen to Chet playing Charlie Haden´s "Ellen and David" live in Gothenburg - this one knocks me out every time.

Now let´s really talk obscure and diggin deeper: If you ever get the chance to buy it, grab for it, because it´s really fantastic and extremely rare:
Recorded in Italy: "The Incredible Chet Baker plays and sings. Recorded in 1977" (ANS)

2 hours ago, Balladeer said:

One gem of the eighties I forgot to mention earlier:

Chet Baker Live in Sweden with Ake Johansson trio (Dragon, 1983) If you´re looking for the definitve haunting ballad then stop searching. You´ll find it here.
 Listen to Chet playing Charlie Haden´s "Ellen and David" live in Gothenburg - this one knocks me out every time.

This is definitely among my favorite Chet Baker recordings from the 80's. Don't forget to pay attention to pianist Are Johansson. This guy can play. I have a few other recordings with Johansson as well.

On 30.10.2019 at 5:42 PM, Peter Friedman said:

Just looked through my collection and found quite a number of interesting Chet Baker recordings from the 1980's.

Chet Baker & Paul Bley - Steeplechase

Chet Baker Trio - Mr. B - Timeless

Chet Baker - In Tokyo - Evidence

Chet Baker - Live In Sweden - Dragon

Outstanding late Chet Baker efforts ....

Edited by soulpope

On 18.11.2019 at 10:34 PM, Larry Kart said:

In his excellent Baker book, Jeroen de Valk says of "Leaving": "The best Chet Baker record you've never heard.... Never issued on CD!"

A very goog book indeed ! 

"Leaving".....I don´t have the Album, but I think I have the tune (a Richie Beirach composition, right?) on another record from Paris 1980 featuring Karl Ratzer on guitar (the famous austrian guitarist !) .