Help needed for indexing the Cal Tjader biography

As some of you might know I am involved in S. Duncan Reid's biography on Cal Tjader. He needs someone to update the index for the 2nd edition which scheduled for publication next spring. His publisher, McFarland, requests their authors to do this themselves, but due to all kinds of circumstances and commitments neither Duncan nor me or the person who did it for the first edition can take care of this at the moment.

We need a reliable and trustworthy person to do this job - last time the payment was $ 18.00 per hour. You get the text and a copy of the index of the first edition which needs to be updated. 

Please pm me if interested, or if you know someone that might be, and I will get you in touch with the author.

Thanks for your interest.

71ynO4F8gwL.jpg

Edited by mikeweil

To give those potentially interested an idea of what they wil be working with, it might help if you'd indicate what format the text(s) are in and how they have so far been prepared, i.e. what kind of raw data there ar.e
This kind of work is a demanding task but in today's world you can work with intexing tags within the text of the WORD file, for example, which facilitates things to a degree (if done correctly and sensibly but still it IS work).

$18/hr with full couch privleges.  Buy can we eat this everyday:

Photo of Apfelweinstube im Himmelreich - Wiesbaden, Hessen, Germany. Schnitzel mit Kartoffelsalat

the computer says i can find this at "Apfelweinstube Im Himmelreich".  Do you know of this place, are you far from it-  I WANT TO GO TO APFELWEINSTUBE IM HIMMELREICH EVERY DAY

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

On 28.10.2019 at 10:02 AM, Big Beat Steve said:

To give those potentially interested an idea of what they wil be working with, it might help if you'd indicate what format the text(s) are in and how they have so far been prepared, i.e. what kind of raw data there ar.e
This kind of work is a demanding task but in today's world you can work with intexing tags within the text of the WORD file, for example, which facilitates things to a degree (if done correctly and sensibly but still it IS work).

Anyone interested will get this information from the author. Two pms I received have been passed on. 

There is an index from the first edition which would have to be updated, page numbers checked for changes; additions to the text indexed. 

I hope it gets done it sounds like im lol'ing but all seriously I do wish i could visit, beatiful country, beautiful people.  So you need someone, to go through the script, making sure all different points mentioned get indexed for reference, by page number, in the back of the book.  And moving previous index points because the edition changed and pages changed slightly?  I am guessing this is on some sort of deadline- could a local university be of help in tracking down someone. and yes i really would love to know now if youve been to that restaurant, ive been thinking about it all day. 

Image result for cal tjader galaxy promo 78 ron

54 minutes ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

and yes i really would love to know now if youve been to that restaurant, ive been thinking about it all day.

:lol:

O.T. - but still ... I could ask my son who started his university studies last month in that town.
Though - honestly - I doubt this is the kind of place favored by the young'uns ... ;)

Thanks all - right now we have three people on the list, one that Duncan's agent found, and two who pm'd me through this forum. There is a deadline, but I don't know the exact date. My part, the discography and the glossary, is done. I will keep you updated.

2 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

..... and yes i really would love to know now if youve been to that restaurant, ive been thinking about it all day. 

Duh - Himmellreich is only two miles from where we live, and we never noticed. It takes chewy to find a "Strausswirtschaft" (a restaurant in the open from April to October) within walking distance from our home. They're closed for the winter season, but I promise we will take a walk there in spring, although schnitzel is not part of my weekly diet.

Chewy, if you ever get to Germany, I will take you there!

Edited by mikeweil

18 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

OK, I have a ton of Cal Tjader.  Let me know if I can help. 

As I posted above, the discography is done, as is the glossary that i compiled, and, of couse Ducan's text body. The index lists musicians and other people of importance (producers, agents, family members etc.), festivals and clubs, studios, album names. Ten pages in the first edition. The page numbers from the first edition must be checked and new numbers added from new pages in the text. 

Duncan checks the people that offered their help in chronological order, first is someone his agent found, the two board members are next. I will keep you updated.

3 hours ago, mikeweil said:

As I posted above, the discography is done, as is the glossary that i compiled, and, of couse Ducan's text body. The index lists musicians and other people of importance (producers, agents, family members etc.), festivals and clubs, studios, album names. Ten pages in the first edition. The page numbers from the first edition must be checked and new numbers added from new pages in the text. 

Duncan checks the people that offered their help in chronological order, first is someone his agent found, the two board members are next. I will keep you updated.

OK, happy to help.  

I think I have more Cal Tjader than any other artist, with the exception of Sun Ra and Ennio Morricone.

3 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I think I have more Cal Tjader than any other artist, with the exception of Sun Ra and Ennio Morricone.

You happen to have the Fantasy 45 rpm single # 540, As I Love You / I Waited So Long ? That's the only 1950's Tjader missing in my collection. Recently got an offer, but it was at a rather high price.

On November 3, 2019 at 4:54 PM, mikeweil said:

You happen to have the Fantasy 45 rpm single # 540, As I Love You / I Waited So Long ? That's the only 1950's Tjader missing in my collection. Recently got an offer, but it was at a rather high price.

No, unfortunately, can't help you there.  Is "I Waited So Long" presumably the same tune as "I've Waited So Long" on the Black Orchid album?  (I realize it may be a different recording.)

22 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Yes that's the same recording. For unknown reasons they "forgot" the other track when they compiled the LP issues, just like the studio version of "Afro Blue" that was on the flip side of the "Black Orchid" 45 rpm issue.

Is it possible that Cal didn't like the track and wanted it buried after the 45 came out?