Timeless Jazz Playlists

Ken Dryden

Timeless Jazz webcasts on Sunday from 3 to 5 pm ET at wutc.org. There is a second feed on the HD-2 station the following Wednesday from 10 am to 12 noon ET. No podcasts are available yet, though I have all the shows from this year downloaded to a portable hard drive.

I am going to try to post playlists in advance for Timeless Jazz on a more regular basis.

The program for November 3 focuses on Collectives, Anthologies, Tributes and Rarities.

Artist/Band / Song / Album 

Paris All Stars / Steeplechase / Homage To Charlie Parker 

Contemporary Piano Ensemble / Valerie / The Key Players 

Howard McGhee, J. J. Johnson, Harold Mabern, Sonny Stitt, Arthur Harper Jr., Max Roach / Wee / Tribute to Charlie Parker 

Mel Tormé / Dat Dere / Ralph J. Gleason's Jazz Casual 

Gerry Mulligan Quartet / Open Country / Ralph J. Gleason's Jazz Casual 

Dave Brubeck / Thank You (Dziekuje) / Piano Grand! A Smithsonian Celebration 

Donald Byrd, Curtis Guller, Julius Watkins, Sam Rivers, Cecil Payne, Tadd Dameron, Paul Chambers, Philly Joe Jones / Aloof Spoof / Blue Note Presents The Lost Sessions 

Kenny Burrell, Gene Bertoncini, Ted Dunbar, Rodney Jones, Jack Wilkins / West Coast Blues - Three Quarters Of The House / Project G-7 Tribute To Wes Montgomery Vol. 2

Joel Forrestor / Dr. Real / Fresh Air In Concert 

Timeless All Stars featuring Bobby Hutcherson / My Foolish Heart / At Onkel Po's Carnegie Hall, Hamburg, 1982

Dizzy Gillespie, Sonny Stitt, Max Roach, Percy Heath, Hank Jones / Confirmation / The Bop Session 

Jimmy Rushing / Trix Ain't Walkin' No More / Ralph J. Gleason's Jazz Casual 

Svend Asmussen, Tal Farlow, Howard Alden, Chris Flory, Bob Badgely / Nuages / The 1986 Floating Jazz Festival 

Bobby Watson, Fred Hersch / Soul Eyes / Last Night When We Were Young - The Ballad Album

Dave Liebman & Richie Beirach / After The Rain/Naima / Tribute To John Coltrane - Live Under The Sky

Edited by Ken Dryden
Added time zone

I think that the Fresh Air In Concert and The 1986 Floating Jazz Festival CDs are likely the hardest to find.

The first was only offered as a public radio premium in the early 1990s, back when Fresh Air focused on covering the arts a lot more than becoming just another news magazine, a huge mistake. 

The Floating Jazz Festival CD was a bonus if you bought the entire Chiaroscuro catalog at one time. I already owned most of it and Hank O'Neal generously sent me this CD. I don't think it was ever sold separately.

• 2 weeks later...

The November 10 show, featuring New Arrivals to my library, included these songs, rebroadcasting on Wednesday, November 13, from 10 am to 12 noon ET on WUTC.org.

Artist/Band -  Album  -  Song
Hour 1
Frank Strozier Quintet with Harold Mabern  -  What's Goin' On  -  The Chief (master take)

Rob Scheps  -  Comencio  -  Message From The Nile

Sal Mosca  -  Recital In Valhalla   -  No Figs

Norma Winstone with John Taylor & Tony Coe  -  Somewhere Called Home  -  Prologue

Ralph Peterson's Gen-Next BigBand  -  Listen Up!  -  This Is For Albert

Champian Fulton & Cory Weeds  -  Dream A Little...  -  Fly Me To The Moon

Billy Eckstine & Helen Merrill  -  Billy Eckstine Sings With Benny Carter  -  You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To

Oliver Jackson Trio  -  The Definitive Black & Blue Sessions  -  You Can Depend On Me

Johnny Griffin & Eddie Lockjaw Davis  -  Ow! Live At The Penthouse  -  Ow!

Hour 2
Nat King Cole  - Hittin' The Ramp: The Early Years (1936-1943)  -  Rosetta

Nat King Cole  -  Hittin' The Ramp: The Early Years (1936-1943)  -  Beautiful Moons Ago (Excelsior alt. take)

Nat King Cole  -  Hittin' The Ramp: The Early Years (1936-1943)  -  I'm Gonna Move To The Outskirts Of Town

Cat Anderson  -  Cat Speaks  -  Black And Tan Fantasy

Cliff Smalls  -  Caravan  -  Caravan

Al Casey -  Jumpin' With Al  -  Willow Weep For Me

Jamale Davis Quintet  -  ...Who Can Contain Us."  -  Sweet Blanche

Burak Bedikyan  -  Istanbul Junction  -  Particles

Skip & Dan Wilkins Quartet  -  Someday  -  If Someday Comes Again

The November 17 show focuses on Jazz Violin from the 1930s to 2007. There are a number of rarities and out of print CDs included.

It will rebroadcast via webcast on the HD2 station on Wednesday Novewmber 20 from 10 am to 12 noon ET at wutc.org.

Hour 1:
Artist/Band - Album - Song - (Record Label)

Stuff Smith  - 1944~1946 Studio, Broadcast, Concert & Apartment Performances  -  Desert Sands  -  (AB Fable)

Stuff Smith & Fats Waller Alumni  -  The Complete Tenor Sax Septets 1937~1942: That Naughty Waltz  -   The Umbrella Man  -  (AB Fable)

Stuff Smith  -  Live At The Montmartre  -  Skip It  -  (Storyville)

Stephane Grappelli & Stuff Smith  -  Stuff & Steff  -  How High The Moon  -  (Gitanes Jazz)

Stephane Grappelli & Marc Fosset  -  Lookin At You  -  Chattanooga Choo Choo  -  (JMS)

Stephane Grappelli/McCoy Tyner  -  One On One  -  Mr. P.C.  -  (Milestone)

Joe Venuti And George Barnes  -  Gems  -  Lover  -  (Concord Jazz)

Svend Asmussen Quartet  -  Fit As A Fiddle  -  A Night In Tunisia  -  (Dacapo)

Ray Nance  - The Complete 1944~1949 Non-Ducal Recordings  -  The Sheik Of Araby  -   (AB Fable)

Ray Nance  -  Body And Soul  -  Take The A Train  -  (Mighty Quinn)

Eddie South Trio   -  Blows ’N’ Rhythm: The Hottest Bows In Rhythm ’N’ Blues’N’ Rhythm & Rock ’N’ Roll & Fiddle Curiosities 1939~1949 - Fiddlin’ The Blues  -   (AB Fable)

Claude Williams  -  My Silent Love  -  My Silent Love  -  (Black & Blue)

Hour 2:

Jean-Luc Ponty with Jack Dieval Sextet   -  Almost Like Being In Bop: Bonus 2005  -  Soft Winds   -  (AB Fable) [A limited edition of just 123 copies, mine is #12]

Jean-Luc Ponty  -  Jazz Long Playing  -  Au Privave  -  (Gitanes Jazz)

Jean-Luc Ponty  -  Live At Donte’s  -  Foosh  -  (Pacific Jazz)

Stephane Grappelli/Jean-Luc Ponty  -  Stephane Grappelli/Jean-Luc Ponty  -  Golden Green  -  (Accord)

Turtle Island String Quartet  -  Skylife  -  Señor Mouse  (Windham Hill Jazz)

Turtle Island Quartet  -  A Love Supreme: The Legacy Of John Coltrane  -  Naima  -  (Telarc)

Billy Bang with Sun Ra, John Ore & Andrew Cyrille  -  A Tribute To Stuff Smith  -  Only Time Will Tell  (Soul Note)

John Blake  -  Quest  -  Moment’s Notice  -  (Sunnyside)

Regina Carter  -  Motor City Moments  -  Love Theme From Spartacus  -  (Verve)

Johnny Frigo Quartet  -  Live At The 1997 Floating Jazz Festival  -  Lester Leaps In  -  (Chiaroscuro)