Bunny Berigan's RCA Recordings on CD?

Justin V

57 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Everything on the Berigan Gangbusters CD from Hep comes from Victor releases, Sept 1938-March 1939.  

Thanks.  I found another RCA compilation, Bunny, which appears to have been released only on LP and MP3.  There appears to be minimal overlap between GangbustersBunny and The Pied Piper.  It is a bit surprising that these appear to be the only legit reissues.  

52 minutes ago, Stonewall15 said:

Some terrific Bunny Berigan 1931-1936 recordings was released on CD by the International Association of Jazz Record Collectors (IAJRC) CD-1013.  

Going by memory, most (if not all) of those tracks are on the Mosaic.  That might be the way to go for someone on the fence about investing in the Mosaic, which is an absolute treasure trove.

18 minutes ago, Justin V said:

Thanks.  I found another RCA compilation, Bunny, which appears to have been released only on LP and MP3.  There appears to be minimal overlap between GangbustersBunny and The Pied Piper.  It is a bit surprising that these appear to be the only legit reissues.  

Going by memory, most (if not all) of those tracks are on the Mosaic.  That might be the way to go for someone on the fence about investing in the Mosaic, which is an absolute treasure trove.

The Mosaic is wonderful.  It's too bad that they didn't include the Victors on that set--not sure if it was a licensing issue, or, more likely, that they didn't want to exceed 7 CDs, which tends to be a undesirable hurdle for them.

3 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

So much love for those double-LP Complete Bluebird runs that were done for several artists back in the 1970s.  I have many of the Artie Shaws and a couple of the Charlie Barnets... those Berigan sets look great.

IIRC they often contained cuts missing from the companion single cd issues. 

13 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

So much love for those double-LP Complete Bluebird runs that were done for several artists back in the 1970s.  I have many of the Artie Shaws and a couple of the Charlie Barnets... those Berigan sets look great.

Swing and jazz-wise Vol. II of the Berigan set is rather weak (unless you are a real die-hard Berigan completist, of course). A handful of good tunes but also lots of nondescript material that overall I find rather lackluster (some around here may sneer at the name but I find Scott Yanow's review in the All Music Guide to Jazz (2nd Ed.) book - which I read long after being disappointed myself when listening to this set - rather spot-on). Vol III is way better but I am still on the lookout for a decently priced copy of Vol. I.

That aside, you are quite right about that Bluebird twofer series. They covered the ground very nicely (even in areas where others never, never bothered to tread for a VERY long time - e.g. The Cats & The Fiddle, Bill Boyd's Cowboy Ramblers, Willie Bryant, etc.) and did the definite vinyl reissue job on these recordings IMHO, until - in some cases, but far from all - the French RCA Black & White twofers came along, though the packaging of these wasn't as informative IMO).