2019-2020 MLB Hot Stove Thread

JSngry

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, baseball fans.  Take a look at this.
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28460159/sources-cody-bellinger-reaches-record-115m-deal-dodgers

ESPN says that last year Bellinger "batted .305/.406/.629."

I'm guessing that means batting average/on base percentage/slugging percentage.

Is that right?  I haven't seen anyone write it like that before.

Edited by GA Russell

1 hour ago, GA Russell said:

OK, baseball fans.  Take a look at this.
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28460159/sources-cody-bellinger-reaches-record-115m-deal-dodgers

ESPN says that last year Bellinger "batted .305/.406/.629."

I'm guessing that means batting average/on base percentage/slugging percentage.

Is that right?  I haven't seen anyone write it like that before.

Yes, that's actually a fairly standard slash line these days.  OBP is now considered by many to be a more pertinent stat than batting average.  Then there's OPS, which is on-base percentage combined with slugging percentage... Bellinger's OPS last year was a sky-high 1.035.

Edited by ghost of miles

Astros’ Hinch, Luhnow suspended without pay for 2020 season

Astros also fined $5 million and lose first and second round draft picks for 2020 and 2021.

Via Pinstripe Alley:

Jeff Passan, meanwhile, reports that Red Sox manager Alex Cora faces “harsh” discipline as a result of his involvement. Carlos Beltran, while a key individual involved in the scheme, will not be punished as he was a player at the time, not a team official, says Andy Martino.

Alex Cora also faces possible discipline actions based on accusations against the Red Sox that occurred after Cora left the Astros.  It's not clear if Cora faces any action yet due to activities when he was with the Astros.  Presumably that will be clarified in time.  It makes me wonder who will be managing the Red Sox this year.

37 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Astros also fined $5 million and lose first and second round draft picks for 2020 and 2021.

Via Pinstripe Alley:

Jeff Passan, meanwhile, reports that Red Sox manager Alex Cora faces “harsh” discipline as a result of his involvement. Carlos Beltran, while a key individual involved in the scheme, will not be punished as he was a player at the time, not a team official, says Andy Martino.

USD 5.000.000 only ? This not harsh at all ....

35 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Via Pinstripe Alley:

I would not be surprised if Astros stick with Espada or a name a new manager after Hinch suspension is up.

2 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Astros just fired Hinch and Luhnow. Sounds like Cora’s going to get hammered pretty hard as well by MLB.

He’s probably on the chopping block too. It wouldn’t surprise me if Hinch was hired by the Mets when his suspension is up.  He and the GM are good friends. 

2 hours ago, soulpope said:

Yeah, whatever. Of course Crane’s going to say that. MLB’s investigation says they continued to use the system throughout the 2017 postseason. It’s totally tainted.  The Houston Asterisks.

Let’s think of it this way: The Astros lost four draft picks, $5 million and their GM and manager two years after winning the World Series. If you survey 29 other teams, do you think they’d trade all those things for a World Series title? No doubt quite a few would. They botch draft picks all the time, misallocate money frequently and are always firing managers and execs in the pursuit of championships.

Is it worth it? Unless MLB decides to vacate their title, it’s hard to say it wasn’t. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/five-takeaways-from-mlb-momentous-astros-sign-stealing-investigation-225432721.html

This is an excerpt from the New York Times story: “Manfred’s report also named the Mets’ new manager, Carlos Beltran, as one of the Houston players who initiated the idea of decoding and communicating signs with help from an illicit camera in center field and a video monitor near the dugout. Beltran is not facing discipline from the league, though, and a Mets spokesman said the team had no comment on his inclusion in the report.”

Frankly, I don’t see how he keeps his job.

Technology, Once the Astros’ Ally, Helps Do Them In

Still trying to process all the information that is coming out, one thing that seems universal is that Houston is now a despised organization and that Jim Crane is escaping with total lack of respect inside baseball but also with a World Series championship. The GM, Jeff Luhnow seems to be a real jerk, blaming everyone but himself.

Does this stop electronic cheating though? I doubt it. Whats to stop a team from having someone off-site watching the game and just relaying the call in real time through some kind of communication system?

Don't see how Beltran stays, but hey, it the Mets we're talking about!

If I'm Alex Cora, I'm planning a vacation for at least a year, if not more.

Ok, I'll be the asshole here and say that other than it being against the rules, I don't see anything particular intrinsically wrong with the methodology and the technology itself. AFAIC, it really should be legalized and, of course, regulated.

And of course, I'm just a little bit or more amused that all this indignacious uproar about unauthorized/surreptitious collection and application of unknowingly collected data and activity is occurring in a world where such things pretty much drive damn near every element of our individual "private" lives.

Technology continues to alter pretty much every aspect of our interactions today, and far past the initial impact of the hardware and software. Behaviors change as well, and as they do, morals eventual do.

An "unfair advantage", perhaps, and in the current boundaries of acceptability, definitely deserving of admonishment. But in time, one which is likely to be adopted as one more tool to winning. Better that than the stenchy breaths of "legalized gambling" seeking to guarantee an outcome by paying for deliberate underperformance. You can lose on purpose, but you can never win on purpose. The fix is never in except to lose.

56 minutes ago, Matthew said:

Just my opinion: I've never been impressed with the Mets managerial choices, they seem to be on the weaker side for a premier franchise. 

Like other teams they’ve had some good ones and some bad ones; the Giants had a good one with Bochy (obviously) but their recent one is poor at best, considering his resume with the Phillies.

The consensus seems to be that Beltran will not be fired but we shall see.