2019-2020 MLB Hot Stove Thread

JSngry

4 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

See who won the World Series in 2017 and 2018 or the passenger lists for those two Boeing 737 Maxes than went down. Yes, it's who won a game versus death, but some sort of cheating is the common denominator, no?

Are you sure this comparison is in the very best of taste?

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Has it been curtailed? Or is it going to continue as soon as somebody finds a newer, sleeker, less obvious technology that's more seamlessly integrated and doesn't involve something Flintstoney analog-primitive like banging on a freaking trash can?

I’d have to think that, yes, there will be limits on the present uses and that you do it again at your peril but players will look to find something else, as you mentioned. 

Players, maybe not so much, but organizations, definitely.

If there's any real gut-level enragement about this "scandal", it that it's one more sign of management taking control of the execution of the on-field game. Labor now hired not just to work to the best of their ability, but to work as told, regardless of natural abilities. "Cheating" is a word that trivializes the trend.

That might be a metaphor for life in the 21st Century, or it may not be.

4 hours ago, T.D. said:

After decades of flagrant and condoned steroid/PED usage, we're surprised that baseball has a culture of Omertà:lol:

Hello.

And of course, the Cardinals are the purest of the pure: https://kmox.radio.com/articles/news/mike-shildt-says-cardinals-knew-others-were-cheating

Oh, but uh....

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jan/30/st-louis-cardinals-hacking-scandal-punishment-houston-astros-mlb

Some call it "cheating", but others call it "espionage". SEXY!!!!

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jun/17/st-louis-cardinals-espionage-claims-us-sports-dark-arts-go-back-100-years

doyle-19.jpg

Ball Four?

JUST four???????

Does this go here?

Walker in HoF, Schilling seemingly on doorstep, and Jeter misses unanimity by 1 blessed vote.

I for one love the possibility that all those years of "past a diving Jeter" - especially the many years he should have gracefully bowed out from being a SS but refused due to his ego, might have been what cost him the unanimous vote he would otherwise have deserved.

So Nolan Arenado's apparently deeply unhappy to be a Rockie now (dude, why did you sign that extension?!), but it doesn't sound as if Colorado's going to trade him.  

23 hours ago, soulpope said:

Sounds as if retirement's likely.  So Dan, who are you favoring to lead the Red Sox, now that Mr. Cora has left in disgrace?  Varitek? (I seem to recall your mentioning him shortly before they hired Cora.)  Other?  I've heard they may be interested in Mets bench coach Hensley Meulens.  Some Yankees fans were pulling for him when he interviewed before the 2018 season.  I don't know all that much about him.  Seems like there's going to be a real scramble for the Astros, Red Sox, and Mets, with two top-tier managers fired/suspended (I would not be surprised to see somebody hire Hinch after this season; murkier waters ahead for Cora, given that he may face a longer suspension and has been so directly implicated in the Houston scheme, but I could see him coming back eventually as well) and a promising newcomer (Beltran) out of the picture as well.  

https://i.scdn.co/image/ab67616d0000b2736030dce872e91447f4221539

Ultimately, MLB didn’t want to debate those questions. The league chose to believe the Astros never told players using technology to steal signs was bad.

That approach allowed MLB to end its investigation quickly, but at the expense of not punishing the most guilty parties.

UNQUOTE

Nuff said ....