Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JSngry

2019-2020 MLB Hot Stove Thread

229 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

And Edgar Martinez too, right? That was a fearsome lineup they had in the late 1990s/early 00s.

Gosh, you're right, Edgar was right there also. Four Hall of Famers in one line up, and they didn't win a thing...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2019 at 5:43 PM, Matthew said:

It really is a "what might have been" with Griffey. I saw him play a lot when I lived in the Seattle area, he was amazing, there was nothing he couldn't do on the field. I still find it hard to believe that I use to go to games where Randy Johnson pitched, with Griffey & ARod in the lineup. It was a pleasure to see those guys play at that kind of level.

I saw that trio play a spring training game in Tucson early 1990s behind homeplate 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Somehow I don’t imagine they’ll be giving this one away at Minute Maid come 2020: :g

astros-bobblehead.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Somehow I don’t imagine they’ll be giving this one away at Minute Maid come 2020: :g

astros-bobblehead.jpeg

Does the arm move?

That's great but as I remarked earlier that type of track can won't make the necessary noise ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

d7417e615bcecc09d05dc5d36a978c3d.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Somehow I don’t imagine they’ll be giving this one away at Minute Maid come 2020: :g

astros-bobblehead.jpeg

:D ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reports that Zack Wheeler has signed with the Phillies for 5 years/$100-$118 million.  Cole Hamels also signing with the Braves for 1 yr/$18 million.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absurd for a decent pitcher but not one who has pitched consistently over the course of the past two seasons. Cole and Strasburg must be salivating at what they will get. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Reports that Zack Wheeler has signed with the Phillies for 5 years/$100-$118 million. 

Wow ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heard that the Wilpons are selling the Mets as well?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steve Cohen is increasing his percentage of ownership and has the right to purchase up to 80% of the team. The Wilpons will stay on for five years. We’d be happier if they left tomorrow. Maybe now the Mets will spend some serious cash. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dylan Bundy goes west .... Los Angeles Angels bet on turnaround .... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So if Cashman has a blank check already signed by the Steinbrenner Bros, does anyone have a chance to keep Cole away from the AL East? My interest in the 2020 (AL) season may depend on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

So if Cashman has a blank check already signed by the Steinbrenner Bros, does anyone have a chance to keep Cole away from the AL East? My interest in the 2020 (AL) season may depend on it.

I’d obviously love to see the Yankees sign Cole, but I’m already happy about the new pitching coach hire that was announced last month:

Yankees hire Matt Blake as new pitching coach

I also think that Cole is by no means in the bag for NY. The Angels seem to have an open-wallet determination to sign him as well.

What about Strasburg? CW seems to be that he’ll reup with the Nats after having opted out. 

 

Edited by ghost of miles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

I’d obviously love to see the Yankees sign Cole, but I’m already happy about the new pitching coach hire that was announced last month:

Yankees hire Matt Blake as new pitching coach

I also think that Cole is by no means in the bag for NY. The Angels seem to have an open-wallet determination to sign him as well.

What about Strasburg? CW seems to be that he’ll reup with the Nats after having opted out. 

Independently of Cole I would love to see the Yankees less injury prone (which is compared to last season easily doable ....) and especially their pitchers finally having a season of overachievement - so probably Matt Blake is key for that target ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, soulpope said:

Independently of Cole I would love to see the Yankees less injury prone (which is compared to last season easily doable ....) and especially their pitchers finally having a season of overachievement - so probably Matt Blake is key for that target ....

I'm definitely feeling better about NY's pitching in general with Blake in place.  So much underperformance in recent years from the rotation, with the Sonny Gray debacle the worst of all.  Larry Rothschild hasn't stayed unemployed, though; he's now landed with the Padres.  Some speculation, probably justified, that the Yankees pursued Blake partly in order to make a stronger case to Cole for signing with them.  Btw apparently Dodgers are in on trying to lure Cole to their organization as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Larry Rothschild hasn't stayed unemployed, though; he's now landed with the Padres.  Some speculation, probably justified, that the Yankees pursued Blake partly in order to make a stronger case to Cole for signing with them. 

Even without Cole, Yankees pitching can`t be worse than under Larry Rothschild`s guidance/expertise .... at least I do hope so ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The World Series MVP is staying in D.C.

Nationals, Stephen Strasburg agree to seven-year, $245 million deal, per ESPN's Jeff Passan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, soulpope said:

The World Series MVP is staying in D.C.

Nationals, Stephen Strasburg agree to seven-year, $245 million deal, per ESPN's Jeff Passan.

That is a heckuva huge contract for a guy who’ll be turning 32 about halfway through next season. Also ups the ante for Cole, who’s two years younger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Certainly a hefty price tag, but glad to see him re-up. Hopefully Rendon follows. Go Nats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will not be stunned if Cole ends up signing with the Angels over the Yankees, because I think Moreno is desperate enough to outbid the Yankees no matter what the price—and NY will bow out IMO if negotiations get into 8+ years/north of $300 million territory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

.... NY will bow out IMO if negotiations get into 8+ years/north of $300 million territory.

Understandable ....too risky ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.