Blindfold Test 188 - link and discussion

webbcity

As expected, you either knew or were in the neighborhood on a bunch of these. Comments below...

On 11/17/2019 at 7:01 PM, tkeith said:

Well, finally got around to making time (mostly at work).  Surprised how much of this was new to my ears (Alzheimer's?).

Track 1 - 70s mid-size band. Not Dee Dee, but in that vein. Doug Carn? Could almost be Dee Dee, but voice seems a bit lower.

It is Dee Dee! (Not her record though)

Track 2 - AH-ha! LOVE this! Track 2 from this. Absolutely love this record.

Yep! This one was meant to be kind of a trick, but I haven't fooled many so far...

Track 3 - I should have a better idea of who this is. Sounds like a doubler playing tenor. Mwata? Electric bass, that drummer is pinging. Maybe Reggie Nicholson? Rollins influence on the tenor, but can't decide if I like him or not. Love when it goes into the "island" feel about 4:10.

You like him, believe me. ;):cool:

Track 4 - Trying to do this at work... not my best decision (need some tunes to keep me sane and trust this test presenter in that regard). Bopish theme, but not really picking up on the voices. Not sure on the trumpet. That's Mr. Gilmore's tenor voice. Not sure of the others. Busy drums -- not the stuff I'm familiar with from JG.

Bingo on Gilmore! I will tell you that it's the piano player's date.

Track 5 - Thought this was going to be a slam dunk of Kahil but now I don't feel that way at all. Could be, but not the slam dunk I was expecting. Oooh... Not familiar enough with Alex Harding's bass clarinet work, but I'm thinking that's what this is from KE'Z's band with AH. I like it, though.

Not Kahil, but you are most definitely in the neighborhood. On the same block.

Track 6 - Closing track from this. Never fully loved this, but always listen to it. This is one of the tracks that speak less to me on this.

You got it. 

Track 7 - Reminds me of a disc I recently played for you, but it's not that. Similar feel, though the drummer is not so unpredictable. Not sure where I am on this. Kind of like the odd, Tristanoish feel of some of the piano lines in the left hand, but not sold on the drummer.

I don't love the drummer either if I'm being honest. I'm in it for the piano player.

Track 8 - Not sure on this. A bit more inside than I expect from this presenter. Almost a Grady Tate feel to the drums and almost an Oscar Peterson feel to the piano.

I can see why you'd say O.P., and Grady too... neither one of them though. I think you're probably most likely to get the bass player if you listen again.

Track 09 - Central Park West.  Not sure I’m into the version.  Really can’t place who this is, and clearly, I should know.  Sounds like maybe a hair after the hey day of this pocket of the genre.  Not Carl Grubbs, but someone similar.  I can tell you all the people the pianist isn’t.  Getting kind of an Airto vibe from the percussion.

You might be surprised on this one. I picked it for the sax solo really, and I do like the feel on this version too.

Track 10 - Dear Lord.  Took me awhile, but pretty sure it’s Marylin Crispell.  Either Cyrille or Paul Motian on drums.  I’m going to feel like an idiot, but that bow sure sounds like Reggie Workman.  Still not sure I’m sold on this version, but I like that it’s their own. (Are you listening, Kenny Garrett!?!??!)

You got all three! Crispell / Motian / Workman. I enjoy this version but it's not the strongest track from this album. The others were much too long though.

Track 11 - Gotta be Ray Brown.  I need this in my life.

Correct!

Track 12 - Weird.  I like it.  Don’t dare guess.

This is a tough one. I don't really expect anyone to get it but maybe there's someone who has heard this.

Track 13 - I like the composition, but what in the name of hypercompression is with that sound!?!?

It's called 1991! :lol:

Track 14 - I can only assume this is Jack Bruce. 

Nope! I'm happy to say you're not even close. :D You're very familiar with this drummer, though they might be hard to identify here.

Well done my friend! If you've already looked at some of the other comments above then some of my comments are redundant.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, webbcity said:

Well, thanks to the few of you who participated. I'll post the reveal as soon as I get a chance, at some point today. 

Well, you got two more participants than I did last December 😞.  These are a labor of love, disdained by the masses.  I greatly appreciated your BFT and hope you will continue.

Old story, really.  Same reason Jazz airborne radio has gone the way of the Edsel.  But nobody seems to see how their actions affect the whole.  I'm sure there's a bunch of people on the forum unaware that this thread even exists (and, to be fair, it's about the only thread I have time for these days, so, I get it).

5 hours ago, tkeith said:

Old story, really.  Same reason Jazz airborne radio has gone the way of the Edsel.  But nobody seems to see how their actions affect the whole.  I'm sure there's a bunch of people on the forum unaware that this thread even exists (and, to be fair, it's about the only thread I have time for these days, so, I get it).

There are at least 12 people who do know it exists, as 12 people post BFT's every year.  If each of the 12 participated in the other 11, that would be a nice gesture.  I do at least give a listen in every month, and try to post something.  Bill and Thom and Jim always listen and post also, which is greatly appreciated.

15 hours ago, felser said:

Bill and Thom and Jim always listen and post also, which is greatly appreciated.

I try to post, but some months...you know...life happens. I do always try to check them all out for at least a cursory listening.

There's not the traffic there once was, but it's still a fun activity, imo.

webbcity, I know that you are frustrated. But I have come to think of the Blindfold Test as partially an act of creativity by the presenter. There are not that many opportunities any more for a jazz lover to put together their dream playlist and share it with knowledgeable listeners who are going to give all of the playlist their full attention. We do really appreciate a collection of music such as the one that you put together.

Even if the community commenting on the Blindfold Tests is relatively small, we don't know how many other people are listening and enjoying your music. I have heard from several members that they enjoy the Blindfold Tests but feel uneasy commenting on the music, for whatever reason. 

Your Blindfold Test is highly enjoyable and very interesting, and I am looking forward to your Reveal.  

On 12/1/2019 at 10:26 AM, felser said:

Well, you got two more participants than I did last December 😞.  These are a labor of love, disdained by the masses.  I greatly appreciated your BFT and hope you will continue.

Thanks! And ouch! Last December sounds rough...

On 12/1/2019 at 6:20 PM, felser said:

There are at least 12 people who do know it exists, as 12 people post BFT's every year.  If each of the 12 participated in the other 11, that would be a nice gesture.  I do at least give a listen in every month, and try to post something.  Bill and Thom and Jim always listen and post also, which is greatly appreciated.

Yes. I've been off this forum for quite a while but when Thom pulled me back in to do a BFT, I made a point of checking out the two previous BFTs, it seemed only fair. And I thoroughly enjoyed both!

4 hours ago, Hot Ptah said:

webbcity, I know that you are frustrated. But I have come to think of the Blindfold Test as partially an act of creativity by the presenter. There are not that many opportunities any more for a jazz lover to put together their dream playlist and share it with knowledgeable listeners who are going to give all of the playlist their full attention. We do really appreciate a collection of music such as the one that you put together.

Even if the community commenting on the Blindfold Tests is relatively small, we don't know how many other people are listening and enjoying your music. I have heard from several members that they enjoy the Blindfold Tests but feel uneasy commenting on the music, for whatever reason. 

Your Blindfold Test is highly enjoyable and very interesting, and I am looking forward to your Reveal.  

I hear you and I appreciate it! Sorry to sound like my feelings got all hurty. I do see it as an act of creativity too and really enjoyed putting it together.

Honestly, I am terrible at guessing on these things. I try, and occasionally I may get one or two. But I don't really see that as the primary point. I like to hear things without the prejudice that comes with knowing what they are in advance, and just try to post my thoughts as I listen to the tracks and talk about what I like and don't like. I wish there were more people who felt comfortable doing that.

The reveal is coming soon, I swear-- my apologies. Some unexpected things have come up in the last couple days and I am way behind. I thought I had put my notes together well enough when I put the test together but I have a bit more clean up to do before posting this. Should be up tomorrow.

14 hours ago, Hot Ptah said:

I have heard from several members that they enjoy the Blindfold Tests but feel uneasy commenting on the music, for whatever reason. 

I can understand some hesitancy to post detailed opinions and especially guesses on the selections (there can be an unwarranted but understandable shame factor involved in guessing wrong or in having another member refute your opinion on a piece, though I'm largely immune to it at this point in my life), but it would be really encouraging for those listeners to post something like "Really enjoyed listening to the BFT, especially enjoyed songs # (whatever), thanks for presenting this".

Edited by felser

11 minutes ago, felser said:

I can understand some hesitancy to post detailed opinions and especially guesses on the selections (there can be an unwarranted but understandable shame factor involved in guessing wrong or in having another member refute your opinion on a piece, though I'm largely immune to it at this point in my life), but it would be really encouraging for those listeners to post something like "Really enjoyed listening to the BFT, especially enjoyed songs # (whatever), thanks for presenting this".

I often lurk the threads, but don't have the erudition to be competitive in guessing.

12 minutes ago, T.D. said:

I often lurk the threads, but don't have the erudition to be competitive in guessing.

I understand and respect that, but any input truly is encouraged.  Hell, I'm wrong at least as often as I'm right, but I know if I post my thoughts, it will generate discussion within the ranks (at least from the test creator).  Sometimes, it's worth it just to hear the story of what led a person to choose a particular track. 

4 hours ago, tkeith said:

I understand and respect that, but any input truly is encouraged.  Hell, I'm wrong at least as often as I'm right, but I know if I post my thoughts, it will generate discussion within the ranks (at least from the test creator).  Sometimes, it's worth it just to hear the story of what led a person to choose a particular track. 

OK, I participated in the latest and was able to identify 1 tune. In past lurking, I often felt there was 1 I could have gotten (but never any more than 1).

I'm not tech savvy but found the download straightforward, so will likely take part in more BFT. Thanks.

Edited by T.D.

11 hours ago, felser said:

+1