Gerry Teekens RIP

Chuck Nessa

He was in the tradition  of those producers who featured many otherwise forgotten or underrated players at a time when nobody seemed to care for recording them: Warne Marsh, Jimmy Raney, Cedar Walton, Melvin Rhyne, Tad Shull, and so many of the younger generation that deserved attention. Criss Cross and Steeple Chase were the Blue Note and Prestige of their era.

42 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

He was in the tradition  of those producers who featured many otherwise forgotten or underrated players at a time when nobody seemed to care for recording them: Warne Marsh, Jimmy Raney, Cedar Walton, Melvin Rhyne, Tad Shull, and so many of the younger generation that deserved attention.

51c6hv4ec7L._SY355_.jpg

I checked this with a few people in the Dutch jazz scene who know Gerry and it has not been confirmed. Can't find anything on the 'net either.

[edit] My friend jazz/blues record store owner Sem van Gelder just confirmed it.

Edited by J.A.W.

1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

He was in the tradition  of those producers who featured many otherwise forgotten or underrated players at a time when nobody seemed to care for recording them: Warne Marsh, Jimmy Raney, Cedar Walton, Melvin Rhyne, Tad Shull, and so many of the younger generation that deserved attention. 

And a lot of first opportunities for younger artists who grew to stardom like Brian Lynch and a ton more.

8 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Teekens should have been knighted alone for this one .... :

Anmerkung-2019-09-16-180604.jpg

People are not knighted anymore in the Netherlands, they stopped doing that a long time ago :)

I knew Teekens personally, but lost contact with him in the 1970s after a disagreement. That was before he started Criss Cross, he was selling records at music fairs and shows and at Sem van Gelder's dad's pub at the time; I bought a lot of records from him. Feels like a million years ago...

20 minutes ago, J.A.W. said:

People are not knighted anymore in the Netherlands, they stopped doing that a long time ago :)

I knew Teekens personally, but lost contact with him in the 1970s after a disagreement. That was before he started Criss Cross, he was selling records at music fairs and shows and at Sem van Gelder's dad's pub at the time; I bought a lot of records from him. Feels like a million years ago...

Metaphorically speaking :D ....

7 hours ago, bresna said:

I have really appreciated what he did with the Criss Cross label. Thank you Mr. Teekens. Was he still in charge there? I hope the label continues on.

The last album in the "Criss Cross New Releases" thread was released May 17.  We shall see...

It was produced by Mr. Teekens, so I guess he was still in charge:

61THBD3JEoL._SL1200_.jpg

• 3 years later...

I bought 3 recent Criss Cross releases, and they're all really good!  Alex Sipiagin - Mel's Vision, Michael Feinberg - Blues Variant, and Noah Preminger - Sky Continuous.  All of them were produced by the son (Jerry Teekins).  I think the label is in good hands.