Woody Shaw 5tet "Live at Onkel Pö’s Carnegie Hall/Hamburg 1979 – Vol. 1"

soulpope

Already a whole topic devoted to this release.

*Or* is this new "November  1, 2019" issue really volume 2??  I think(?) I've got Volume 1 already (iirc), and I'm pretty sure(?) that it's just *one CD* (but I could easily be misremembering).  So what's going on here, with a new(?) 2 CD issue that's somehow the same, or related, or vol 2? - or it's vol 1 (but only it's 2 CDs?), and it's it really 2CDs?

Anyway, the thread about vol 1 is here, fwiw...

OH WAIT, THIS NEW RELEASE IS FROM 1979.

And the earlier one is from 1982.

THAT'S what's going on here.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

26 minutes ago, felser said:

I'm in.

As am I. Woody Shaw is one of those artists I’ll buy just about anything by, especially when his name is on the spine.

I’ll have to look, but I think I’ve got close to a dozen live hours of Woody on various legit releases, maybe closer to 15 hours, come to think of it. And most of it is close to stunning.

5 hours ago, Misterioso said:

Interesting that both sets are "vol. 1". Looks like there is hope for some future "vol. 2".

Yes I noticed this only with the Woody Shaw Albums. I have the first with the Group I saw myself (Steve Turré , Mulgrew Miller, Stafford James and Tony Reedus) and it´s also "Vol. 1"...…. really strange…...

6 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Yes I noticed this only with the Woody Shaw Albums. I have the first with the Group I saw myself (Steve Turré , Mulgrew Miller, Stafford James and Tony Reedus) and it´s also "Vol. 1"...…. really strange…...

I guess the new 1979 recording was supposed to be vol. 2 but someone messed it up during production. There were misprints before: The LP version of the 1982 recording lists the bonus track "Diane" as the second track on the C side (both on the cover and on the record's center label). It actually is the first track on the D side. Also wrong on discogs etc.

On the other hand, Woody announces the last track on the D side as the one concluding their "first set". This suggests that vol. 2 might be the recording of their second set (on that evening I assume).

Edited by Misterioso

On 11/7/2019 at 5:02 PM, Misterioso said:

Ordered! Love this series, including the quite attractive pricing. Thanks, @soulpope.

The sound quality on this series is stunning, and there is magic in the music.  Even titles I felt lukewarm about before listening(Chet Baker, Griff/Jaws) have knocked me out!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been listening to this on Spotify today and will be placing an order with Amazon in the coming days. I'll let the experts decide how this ranks versus his other live dates. All I can say is that the band sounds great!  If you're a fan, I am pretty certain you're going to enjoy this.