Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mjzee

Jack Walrath Corner

6 posts in this topic

I recently found a used copy of Demons In Pursuit, and it was like rediscovering an old friend.  Someone I knew in college gave me the album originally; he got the copy because a friend of his, who went to our college, did the inside illustration.  What a band: Walrath, John Scofield, Jim McNeely, Ray Drummond and Dannie Richmond.  Recorded at Rudy's in 1979.  I don't know that it's ever been re-released.  I know he's done a lot since then.  Do you have any favorites?

R-2978996-1396534538-8879.jpeg.jpg

I always liked his work with Mingus

15 minutes ago, BFrank said:

I always liked his work with Mingus

me too, his trumpet work on "Cumbia" and "Three or Four Shades" is fantastic ! 

"In Europe" released in 1983 on SteepleChase with memorable contributions by Glenn Ferris and Anthony Cox ....

His Masters of Suspense group recordings are good--Forsooth, Heavy Mirth, and To Hellas and Back, for example.

He's also records with the excellent group The Jazz Tribe (Everlasting and The Next Step).

mjzee, I dig Demons in Pursuit too. :tup It's a great record -- and a shame that it's not more readily available.

Over the last few years, I've been digging into Walrath's discography, and I think he's extremely under-appreciated. I love his (sometimes more-than-slightly) off-kilter perspective, the humor he brings to his music.

A few of my favorites -- along with Demons in Pursuit (!) :

51gAgmCranL.jpg

Hi Jinx (Stash) - CD compiles two LPs: Revenge of the Fat People (1982) and A Plea for Sanity (1983)

R-5345730-1452462540-4801.jpeg.jpg

Wholly Trinity (Muse, 1986) - with Jimmy Madison & Chip Jackson

MI0002542616.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Neohippus (Blue Note, 1989)

Gut_Feelings_%28album%29.jpg

Gut Feelings (Muse, 1991) 

R-10872509-1505713084-9596.jpeg.jpg

Serious Hang (Muse, 1992)

5162cn%2B4fmL._SY355_.jpg

Portraits in Ivory and Brass (Mapleshade, 1994) - with Larry Willis & Steve Novosel

Each of these records is unique, offering up varying aspects of Walrath's musical personality. The dude's got some scope! ... I need to pick up some of his more recent recordings.  For example, I haven't heard any of his SteepleChase discs (yet).

54 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

He's also records with the excellent group The Jazz Tribe (Everlasting and The Next Step).

Yes!  The Next Step is especially good! :tup 

Edited by HutchFan