LF: Mangelsdorff 7" 'Goldie' on Opera label

EKE BBB

Can't be very common. I routinely check these Opera records at fleamarkets, etc. (because they do feature interesting stuff here and there) but I cannot recall having EVER seen that one (not even on eBay at the time I stil kept an eye on Eurojazz listings).

BTW, Bruyninckx doesn't even list it (neither does he list Opera 4363 - which I have - feat. Albert's brother Emil Mangeldorff with a recording from the same festival).

Edited by Big Beat Steve

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 11/8/2019 at 3:26 PM, Big Beat Steve said:

BTW, Bruyninckx doesn't even list it (neither does he list Opera 4363 - which I have - feat. Albert's brother Emil Mangeldorff with a recording from the same festival).

FWIW here's what The Lord Disco has:

Deutschen Jazz-Salon Berlin 1961 : Albert Mangelsdorff Septett mit Tete Montoliu : Albert Mangelsdorff (tb) Gunter Kronberg (as,ts,bar) Emil Mangelsdorff (as) Joki Freund, Bent Jaedig (ts) Tete Montoliu (p) Peter Trunk (b) Hartwig Bartz (d)
  Live "Deutschen Jazz-Salon Berlin 1961", Berlin, Germany, May 20-22, 1961
  Goldie Opera (G)4362
  Tickle toe Opera (G)4341
  "Deutscher Jazz Salon", Berlin, May 22, 1961
  Avalon Opera 4341

Lord doesn't list 4363 either, but it looks like there was more recorded at that occasion, there is a Feetwarmers EP as well.

Really rare stuff ....

There seems to be one for sale of the 4341 Lord has listed:

https://www.discogs.com/release/6225334-Das-Albert-Mangelsdorff-Septett-Das-Emil-Mangelsdorff-Swingtett-Deutscher-Jazz-Salon-Berlin-1961-

MjctODA3Ny5qcGVn.jpegNzctOTgzMi5qcGVn.jpeg

Make an inquiry to the Jazz Institute at Damstadt, maybe they have a copy. I plan to go there in January or February and could make an MP3 file and photos.

Edited by mikeweil

21 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

FWIW here's what The Lord Disco has:

Deutschen Jazz-Salon Berlin 1961 : Albert Mangelsdorff Septett mit Tete Montoliu : Albert Mangelsdorff (tb) Gunter Kronberg (as,ts,bar) Emil Mangelsdorff (as) Joki Freund, Bent Jaedig (ts) Tete Montoliu (p) Peter Trunk (b) Hartwig Bartz (d)
  Live "Deutschen Jazz-Salon Berlin 1961", Berlin, Germany, May 20-22, 1961
  Goldie Opera (G)4362
  Tickle toe Opera (G)4341
  "Deutscher Jazz Salon", Berlin, May 22, 1961
  Avalon Opera 4341

Lord doesn't list 4363 either, but it looks like there was more recorded at that occasion, there is a Feetwarmers EP as well.

Really rare stuff ....

There seems to be one for sale of the 4341 Lord has listed:

https://www.discogs.com/release/6225334-Das-Albert-Mangelsdorff-Septett-Das-Emil-Mangelsdorff-Swingtett-Deutscher-Jazz-Salon-Berlin-1961-

Make an inquiry to the Jazz Institute at Damstadt, maybe they have a copy. I plan to go there in January or February and could make an MP3 file and photos.

Many thanks, Mike.

Peter Trunk is listed on the back cover of the Opera EP as the bass player on this date. However, according to Albert Mangelsdorff, it could not be Trunk on bass, as by that time he had left the Albert Mangelsdorff Septtet for a short time. Al King is the suggested bass player in the Albert Mangelsdorff Discography.

As for your offer to make an MP3 when you visit the Jazz Institute at Darmstadt, I will email them with my inquiry. And, again, many thanks for your help!